HOWTO get Eduroam working

Search This thread

myth1001

Nov 15, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
you need to download one of the latest version of securew2 client from your uni website or the developer's website. follow instruction to set up the connection given by your uni IT department.
I'm using eduroam connection now in UCL. :D

quart666

Jan 20, 2010
Gothenburg
www.sundshult.se
Thanks for your answer.
I downloaded securew2
But I still cant get it to work.
Do you have to provide this information on your campus ?
SSID: eduroam
authentication: WPA2
kryptering: AES
EAP-typ: PEAP
authentication: MSCHAP v2

firaX

Apr 30, 2008
München
For me WPA1 works better, also AES is wrong. Then you select "Secure W2" in the drop down box not peap. SecureW2 needs to be configured as well. Your university should provide you with that info. You usually don't need the radius part with the cert! That's just to protect you from connecting to the wrong network (and thus giving them your password).

quart666

Jan 20, 2010
Gothenburg
www.sundshult.se
Above information about WPA2 is from my campus informationsite.
After I made some settings on "Eduroam connection" i cant change them.
As soon as push eduroam it tries to connect.
The only way to change them is to install a new rom, so that the phone is
like it was from the first time.

bahardman

Dec 22, 2009
Nassau
Some univeristies use a WLan called EduROAM.
http://www.eduroam.org/
But somehow HTC HD2 cant connect to it.Seems like a personal certificate is the problem.
Has anyone got this working on HD2 ?
It works on Nokia phones running Windows mobile 6.5

I took my mobile to my University's IT Department and they set it up for me and it works great, I get all of my student emails directly to my mobile. Hope this helps.

myth1001

Nov 15, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
In my case,
I download SecureW2 personal client 2.04 ce, install it on my phone via active sync.

Settings>Menu>All settings>Connection>Wifi>Wireless networks>Menu>Add new

and start configuring the settings. Different network will have different settings.

I don't think ROM version matters in this case. It should work with your device, if you got the right SecureW2 client and settings set up on your phone.

Btw, IT department or university's website should provide sufficient information for you to set up the connection.

Good luck. :)

quart666

Jan 20, 2010
Gothenburg
www.sundshult.se
The IT people cant get it to work......
They say that they cant get it to work on HD2.
Thats why I turned to you guys.
Still no luck, secureW2 keeps asking for user/pass, and yes I know its the right user/pass. A friend at work tried his username and it doesnt workl either.
If I connect to Eduroam on my pc it works, so nothing wrong with user/pass

Last edited:

myth1001

Nov 15, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
The IT people cant get it to work......
They say that they cant get it to wrok on HD2.
Thats why I turned to you guys.
Still no luck, secureW2 keeps asking for user/pass

You might need to get another version of secureW2 client.

I tried a secureW2 client provided by my uni and i faced the same problem as you. It kept on prompting me for username and password. I changed to another client (SecureW2_Personal_Client_204_CE), downloaded from SecureW2 forum, and it worked great!

During the installation of the client, registration is needed, i could register and install it couple of times on my phone without any problem. However, yesterday when i tried to reinstall the client after upgrading my ROM, the installation failed at the registration part. Maybe because they stop providing the free version?

I managed to get it installed on my phone again via activesync though.

Xenotaph

Apr 28, 2010
Chalmers University of Technology uses Thawte premium server certificate for authentication.

What you need to do is this, go to Thawtes website and download their certificates:

(Apparently I cannot post links, but just google for "thawte root certificate" the file is at www dot thawte dot com slash roots)

The certificate you need is located in the folder Thawte Roots\Thawte SSLWeb Server Roots\thawte Premium Server CA\Thawte Premium Server CA.cer

Download that to your HTC HD2 and install it by just clicking it in the file browser on your phone.

Then you can just follow the instructions you found at their webpage.

Hope this helps.

//a

cdm1000

May 24, 2010
how to connect to EDUroam

Firstly, this refers to connecting an HTC android phone (specifically the HTC Desire, but what I get from the web is that they are all much the same, these HTC android interfaces).

The problem starts when an innocent user looks for a WiFi network and finds eduroam. It then asks for not particularly relevant password information and cannot connect because the configuration of the default network setup is wrong. If you try to get the phone to forget that network it appears to do so that when you reconnect it still assumes that the connection was correctly set up. In order to get it to forget their network properly you have to enter the wrong password several times so that the phone thinks you have illegally trying to access the network. It then completely forgets.

The network discovery procedure will again come up with EDUroam, and the configuration should follow the instructions on the following website from Oxford University: <search for android eduroam oxford in Google>

In fact the names given on the HTC desire setup are slightly different. The important thing is that the EAP type should be PEAP, and the secondary type should be MSCHAPv2.

You then enter the username which will be effectively your registered e-mail address at your own institution, and then use as a password the thing eduroam calls "network access token" (16 lower case alphabetic character password generated for you if you buy your institution on request.

You then connect up and miraculously you have the connection you wish!

You should check that the connection is mobile roaming capability on your phone and checking that you really do have Internet and e-mail access as you wish through the WiFi connection directly.

Ascii3

Sep 17, 2015
I have been looking for the SecureW2 Personal Client 2.0.4 for Windows CE package (original filename: "SecureW2_Personal_Client_204_CE.zip"). I have been unable to find it and the sources given in this thread no longer exist or are no longer available.

If anyone has the file, please provide it.