Hack to Enable full Flash for Any Website

Search This thread

Digital Man

Jul 21, 2007
New York
I was able to work out a hack which will allow desktop level flash in the Surface browser, even on sites that are not approved by Microsoft. So if there is a site that you like, but flash doesn't work, because Microsoft hasn't deemed it worthy enough yet, here's a way to manually enable Flash. (For those who aren't aware - only Microsoft approved sites are allowed to use Flash - its not universal - a site apparently has to be approved and put on a list for Flash to work - basically Microsoft censors the content that you see based upon whether or not the site meets their "criteria")

This hack is for the desktop Surface browser, not the metro Surface browser.

The downside with this hack is that, so far it appears that it only works for one website at a time.

Major disclaimer that you've heard a million times before - Tinkering with the registry has its risks - If you screw something up don't blame me.

How to do it:

1. Start

2. Swipe up from bottom and Select: "All apps" on bottom right menu

3. Select: Command Prompt

4. type regedit at the cursor and press enter

5. User account control appears - Do you want program to make changes - Yes

6. Path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer

7. Make Sure "Internet Explorer" is selected then go to "Edit" and Select "New" and "Key" from the menu that appears.

8. The New Yellow Key folder will appear on the file tree - name it: Flash

9. If you click View and Refresh, the new Key "Flash" should be just below "Feed Discovery" in the tree.

10. Make sure your new key "Flash" is selected (the only assigned value at this point will read: "Default")

11. Now go to Edit/New and select "String Value" Name the new value DebugDomain

10. Double Click the new string value. Edit box will open. In the field: "Value Data" put the domain of your website for example "www.myflashcrippledsite.com"

11. Click OK Close Regedit and your done.

12. In the Desktop Browser Make sure the setting ActiveX Filtering is unchecked. (Right side of browser where there are the Home, Favorites and Gear icons - select the little round Gear (tools icon) and then Safety and then uncheck ActiveX Filtering

View attachment 1439531

Now try browsing your site -might have to restart the browser or refresh your page - its worked for me without a restart of the computer but you might need to restart the Surface itself (Right swipe, Settings, Power, Restart.)

If you have problems, make sure you use the right domain for your website for example www.microsoft.com not http//www.microsoft.com
Also remember this works in the Desktop version of the browser not the metro version accessed from the Start screen.
And like I said above, make sure you don't forget to uncheck "ActiveX Filtering" or Flash still won't work.

For now, to view another site, you need to change the DebugDomain value to the domain of your new site - pretty quick once the key has been made, and shouldn't require a restart of the computer. Tomorrow I'll see if there's a way to put multiple DebugDomain keys.

Sorry if this is unclear, I just figured this out then typed it at 2:30 in the morning. I've tested it on a couple of sites with success. But this is still very experimental, haven't done much testing as its too late - more tomorrow.

But I'm simultaneously thrilled and annoyed at this - because after seeing how well flash works on many crippled sites, it makes me really angry that this function isn't on by default and I have to jump through ridiculous hoops just to get flash to work.

Last edited:

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Awesome, have a script!

Works for me with just a page reload; thanks!

I wrote some scripts to automate this (scripting being the easiest way to do third-party code on Windows RT); see the attached file. You'll either need to run the EnableFlash script as Admin every time, or run the SetFlashRegPerms script as Admin just once first. If you put the EnableFlash script in a location that is in your PATH, you can easily launch it from any cmd or Powershell prompt.

I love Love LOVE that Windows RT can be scripted, and that people can run stuff as Admin so easily.

Attachments

• EnableFlash.zip
    911 bytes · Views: 3,302

Digital Man

Jul 21, 2007
New York
Wow I go to bed at 3:00 AM and by breakfast there's already a script for my solution as well as an alternative solution - gotta love XDA.

Thank you GoodDayToDie and Marvin_S for responding so quickly. I noticed Marvin_S started a new thread to fully explore enabling flash by editing the whitelist - sounds like a good alternative.

I feel much more positive about the Surface now - Lack of Flash support was one of the biggest negatives for this device and it was really bothering me.

And its nice to see that we have easy control over the OS in terms of changes and improvements - a big plus and bodes well for the Surface's future.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I was able to work out a hack which will allow desktop level flash in the Surface browser, even on sites that are not approved by Microsoft. So if there is a site that you like, but flash doesn't work, because Microsoft hasn't deemed it worthy enough yet, here's a way to manually enable Flash. (For those who aren't aware - only Microsoft approved sites are allowed to use Flash - its not universal - a site apparently has to be approved and put on a list for Flash to work - basically Microsoft censors the content that you see based upon whether or not the site meets their "criteria")

This hack is for the desktop Surface browser, not the metro Surface browser.

The downside with this hack is that, so far it appears that it only works for one website at a time.

Major disclaimer that you've heard a million times before - Tinkering with the registry has its risks - If you screw something up don't blame me.

How to do it:

1. Start

2. Swipe up from bottom and Select: "All apps" on bottom right menu

3. Select: Command Prompt

4. type regedit at the cursor and press enter

5. User account control appears - Do you want program to make changes - Yes

6. Path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer

7. Make Sure "Internet Explorer" is selected then go to "Edit" and Select "New" and "Key" from the menu that appears.

8. The New Yellow Key folder will appear on the file tree - name it: Flash

9. If you click View and Refresh, the new Key "Flash" should be just below "Feed Discovery" in the tree.

10. Make sure your new key "Flash" is selected (the only assigned value at this point will read: "Default")

11. Now go to Edit/New and select "String Value" Name the new value DebugDomain

10. Double Click the new string value. Edit box will open. In the field: "Value Data" put the domain of your website for example "www.myflashcrippledsite.com"

11. Click OK Close Regedit and your done.

12. In the Desktop Browser Make sure the setting ActiveX Filtering is unchecked. (Right side of browser where there are the Home, Favorites and Gear icons - select the little round Gear (tools icon) and then Safety and then uncheck ActiveX Filtering

View attachment 1439531

Now try browsing your site -might have to restart the browser or refresh your page - its worked for me without a restart of the computer but you might need to restart the Surface itself (Right swipe, Settings, Power, Restart.)

If you have problems, make sure you use the right domain for your website for example www.microsoft.com not http//www.microsoft.com
    Also remember this works in the Desktop version of the browser not the metro version accessed from the Start screen.
    And like I said above, make sure you don't forget to uncheck "ActiveX Filtering" or Flash still won't work.

For now, to view another site, you need to change the DebugDomain value to the domain of your new site - pretty quick once the key has been made, and shouldn't require a restart of the computer. Tomorrow I'll see if there's a way to put multiple DebugDomain keys.

Sorry if this is unclear, I just figured this out then typed it at 2:30 in the morning. I've tested it on a couple of sites with success. But this is still very experimental, haven't done much testing as its too late - more tomorrow.

But I'm simultaneously thrilled and annoyed at this - because after seeing how well flash works on many crippled sites, it makes me really angry that this function isn't on by default and I have to jump through ridiculous hoops just to get flash to work.
    Awesome, have a script!

Works for me with just a page reload; thanks!

I wrote some scripts to automate this (scripting being the easiest way to do third-party code on Windows RT); see the attached file. You'll either need to run the EnableFlash script as Admin every time, or run the SetFlashRegPerms script as Admin just once first. If you put the EnableFlash script in a location that is in your PATH, you can easily launch it from any cmd or Powershell prompt.

I love Love LOVE that Windows RT can be scripted, and that people can run stuff as Admin so easily.
    Dear all, I have just found a better solution to this problem.

See the thread here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=33414039#post33414039

This works on all websites you manually add, as many as you would like without the hassle of going trough the registry.