just recieved a g2 from t-mobile with gingerbread

Search This thread

MMontanez347

Nov 7, 2010
Bronx, NY
who do i have to pay to get a brave dev to work on the G2 gingerbread build so i can get permanent root! ill WILL donate if i have too!!:D

C

Cimer

If there are any root methods people are sitting on them so they can't fix it when HTC, T-Mobile release GB to the general public.

rommy0515

Apr 13, 2011
Albuquerque, NM
Lol, I feel your pain brother!

I got my warranty replacement a few days ago and it came with Gingerbread. I'm not a happy camper at the moment.

Heh, and to add insult to injury, the stock ROM is full of bugs. The browser crashes constantly, downloaded apps don't appear in the app drawer unless you powercycle after downloading, and the battery life is awful. (I was making it through a full day with 25% battery left on CM7, and that was with heavy use and 100% screen brightness, I've been going through two full batteries daily with the Gingerbread stock)

Oh, and it doesn't play well with the Amazon appstore. At least half the apps that I acquired there seem to suddenly be undownloadable.

I really hope a root exploit is found soon...

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using XDA Premium App

Last edited:
C

Cimer

Start making a list of methods they tried, and what failed in those methods?

If anyone feels up to the task...

xsteven77x

Jul 2, 2010
Pittsburgh
Honestly it doesn't even seem like anyone is trying to root the new gb stock rom. If they are they sure as hell ain't telling no one about :(

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA Premium App

C

Cimer

To be honest, I normally let the DEVs test so their is no harm to my device...However if there are no devs working on this...=/

I'm worried if I try and start doing random root methods I would brick my phone and I don't want to call in for a 4th replacement...

Now hopefully in July we will get some relief because it's been rumored when the real upgrade goes out...

OoTLink

Dec 6, 2010
Man it had to be just my luck that the smartphone I waited so long to get ended up being a piece of *@#%. A pretty piece of *@#%, but a piece of *#@% nonetheless.

I will be surprised if they ever release an official gingerbread release for it, nevermind what comes after. I'm just mad. The hardware was ok but the phone totally isn't living up to its name. And the camera sucks. Never going with HTC again >>

C

Cimer

Man it had to be just my luck that the smartphone I waited so long to get ended up being a piece of *@#%. A pretty piece of *@#%, but a piece of *#@% nonetheless.

I will be surprised if they ever release an official gingerbread release for it, nevermind what comes after. I'm just mad. The hardware was ok but the phone totally isn't living up to its name. And the camera sucks. Never going with HTC again >>

I'm confused by your post..Gingerbread..July, Camera..It's a phone, Living up to it's name...Clearly you have not seen our dev section and why you hate HTC over this? I will continue to scratch my head.

Gingerbread has been said to come out in July, so unless you can't wait for that maybe you did make the wrong phone choice and get a Nexus. The Camera is good for a phone..sure it's not a 8 MP, but that's not all in the photo and besides that I think it takes some wonderful pictures. I don't know what you mean by "living up to its name", however if I were to take a guess it does not do well as the G1 did back in 2008. The most preferred keyboard for a phone, first phone on T-Mobile with 4G, runs quick even with sense 3.0, and it was one of its best phones for its generation. Now, I'm confused why you would hate HTC over these things, providing an update in all. Some phones don't even get updates, but if you don't like HTC that's your call, go Motorola, Samsung, or LG and experience more and see if you're truly happy with them.

Last edited:

thugjedi

Nov 4, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm confused by your post..Gingerbread..July, Camera..It's a phone, Living up to it's name...Clearly you have not seen our dev section and why you hate HTC over this? I will continue to scratch my head.

So true and I don't know what's wrong with other peoples phones but even though I want root but I can manage being patient because for me this rom has great battery life and is fast with no glaring issues. And the phone it self has been amazing for me coming from a Nexus one. I just feel shafted out of my root

C

Cimer

So true and I don't know what's wrong with other peoples phones but even though I want root but I can manage being patient because for me this rom has great battery life and is fast with no glaring issues. And the phone it self has been amazing for me coming from a Nexus one. I just feel shafted out of my root

Well I've come to the conclusion that not any non-devs are working on root (trying out different methods), and that the real devs are sitting on it until the real update comes out so HTC or T-Mobile does not go..PATCH TIME!

The Unnamed Time Lord

Dec 7, 2010
New Jersey
So since T-Mobile said the gingerbread G2 replacements were not to have it on there does it mean that its still in a test build or are they simply just trying to dangle it over our heads? If its the latter and if this is the official GB update I might just switch to CM7 or another stock rom.

xsteven77x

Jul 2, 2010
Pittsburgh
Still waiting for my replacement. Honestly I don't really care about root all that much. The only reason I care is cause I want to be able to restore my games and not have to start them all over. Don't think there is a way to be able to restore apps and/or there data without root :/ if the devs HAVE found a way to root and are just holding it, I wish they would at least announce like they do in the iphone world but not give any details. Just let it be known that a way has been found and will be released after the official release.
Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA Premium App

ilostchild

Dec 7, 2009
heres a thought wonder if they gonna push a newer hboot for this phone to do OEM unlock for it like they will do for the sensation, i highly doubt it but it is fun to dream and wish..