backup aps,unlock and root.

Search This thread

AchillesGr

Dec 21, 2009
hi ,
i am new to all this and i would like your help.i have the xoom for a month and i have instaled many aps and files.
now i need to unlock it and root it.
from what i read the unlocking and root deletes everything and restores the factory defaults.
is there a way to backup or transfer my aps to a sd card?i try to install the tiganium software but i get the message the the xoom needs to be rooted .
can someone please clear this?
i apreciate any help.
my xoom is the mz601 with hc 3.2
is the unlocking and rooting procces upvrades the operatkng system too?
thanks!!
achilles

llama-power

Jan 25, 2011
i am new to all this
welcome:)

from what i read the unlocking and root deletes everything and restores the factory defaults.
that's correct. More specifically, the unlocking will do that, rooting itself won't, but to my knowledge, there is no way to root the xoom without unlocking first. (read more on this below)

is there a way to backup or transfer my aps to a sd card?
I am not aware of any way to do that. Regardless of that, you shouldn't, it would be much better to just install the apps from market after upgrading from HC to ICS.

is the unlocking and rooting procces upvrades the operatkng system too?
no. Unlocking will unlock the bootloader, so that you can flash stuff using fastboot-commands (and you will use that to flash a custom recovery). Rooting will root your device, thus giving you "administrator privileges" and, if you use the "universial xoom root", conserve your recovery from being overwritten by the stock rom. If you want to install another rom, you'll have to do so manually (but installing a new rom is no big deal)

/****** EDIT ******
regarding root without unlock: in this thread the op states, that the method mentioned there will also work on your device (as a matter of fact any Motorola device with froyo or honeycomb)
This root method should work on all Motorola Devices running honeycomb or gingerbread. Try it out and see if it does :)
As far as I can see, this method will not unlock the bootloader.

I have not tried it and I won't, as I'd have to flash a stock rom and lock my xoom again to see if it works, but if you're going to try it, please keep us posted here and/ore in the thread I mentioned:)

Last edited:

AchillesGr

Dec 21, 2009
thanks for the reply,
tbe last days i am trying to find out what options do i have.
i need your help againto clear some new issues.
1. i have the mz691 and hc 3.2 ,from wht i read i must unlock,then install cwm for a backup if i want.then root. will i still have the hc 3.2?? i am a bit afraid to install ather roms.
2.from my researh i found out that there are many roms. wht is the best?
is the ice scream sandwich compatible with my device?if yes ,what version?i prefer not to go to nitlies.
3.what is the universal root xoom ?
thanks,i apreciate your help

llama-power

Jan 25, 2011
1. i have the mz691 and hc 3.2 ,from wht i read i must unlock,then install cwm for a backup if i want.then root. will i still have the hc 3.2?? i am a bit afraid to install ather roms.
Assuming that you acutally have a MZ601 and not a MZ691 (never heard of that one before;)), yes, you really need to unlock, install cwm, backup, then root. Note, however, that this backup will only back up your current rom, it will NOT backup your data (as unlocking will delete your data and you must unlock your device to be able to install cwm). None of these steps will install another rom, thus you'll still be at 3.2.

is the ice scream sandwich compatible with my device?if yes ,what version?i prefer not to go to nitlies.
Well, as a matter of fact, there are not so many roms for the MZ601. The one I use is the (usually most current) Team EOS Nightly for MZ601. If you don't want to go with nightlies, just go with the stable Team EOS 1.0.0. However, I don't see any disadvantages at all in using nightlies. Bear in mind that you do not HAVE to update on a daily basis;) Except from the one nighly that introduced cornerstone, they are just as stable as the 1.0.0.

That is a root method developed by solarnz link to thread. This method should work on every xoom that can be bootloader-unlocked. (Thats all of them, except family edition and Xoom2/Xyboard)

Reactions: AchillesGr

AchillesGr

Dec 21, 2009
many thanks,
ok.i am installing a new rom and continue installing apps.when i install new rom i will loose again my aps?yes,unlocking deletes all data,tbe same apply if i install another rom?

is there a way to backup my aps in original apk form? or mayby download them initialy in .apk file and have them on a storage?

what is this deep sleep problem the ics nightly have? do you have any other problems.what is this cornerstone?
yes the xoom is the 601.my mistake.
thans again!!!

llama-power

Jan 25, 2011
ok.i am installing a new rom and continue installing apps.when i install new rom i will loose again my aps?
depends... If you are switching between totally different roms you should wipe your /data-partition, thus you'd loose your apps. If you upgrade from one version of a rom to another version of that same rom you should be fine without wiping /data, so you'll keep all your apps.

is there a way to backup my aps in original apk form? or mayby download them initialy in .apk file and have them on a storage?
well, maybe it's possible to get the original .apk-files from somewhere, but for all those apps you got from the android market that's just plain useless. You may, however, be able to backup your apps and data using titanium backup once your xoom is rooted.

what is this deep sleep problem the ics nightly have?
your xooms processor has a so-called deep-sleep feature that reduces power consumption to almost zero when the cpu is not used. On my xoom, and apparently also on others, this feature does not work on current EOS roms (I ain't even sure if it ever did) when the xoom is connected to a wifi network. On 3G-Networks it goes into deep-sleep as it should. Solarnz has confirmed that he thinks that this is a wifi-issue which he will address in the (hopefully not so distant) future.

do you have any other problems.
apart from having run out of beer: no:)

what is this cornerstone?
It's a system that lets you open more than one app at once. There is one build of the Team EOS roms where it is included, you can try that if you like. But it screwed a lot of things up and made the system somewhat unstable, so it was removed in the next build. here is a website where you can have a look at what cornerstone looks like.

AchillesGr

Dec 21, 2009
ok,
i will try to root today and then i will try to flash the eos everest ics.
you saied that i need to clear-wipe zoom before update to diferrent rom. how to do that?
from cwm recovery?
can you please direct me what i need to wipe and how?
thanks agaon!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Assuming that you acutally have a MZ601 and not a MZ691 (never heard of that one before;)), yes, you really need to unlock, install cwm, backup, then root. Note, however, that this backup will only back up your current rom, it will NOT backup your data (as unlocking will delete your data and you must unlock your device to be able to install cwm). None of these steps will install another rom, thus you'll still be at 3.2.

Well, as a matter of fact, there are not so many roms for the MZ601. The one I use is the (usually most current) Team EOS Nightly for MZ601. If you don't want to go with nightlies, just go with the stable Team EOS 1.0.0. However, I don't see any disadvantages at all in using nightlies. Bear in mind that you do not HAVE to update on a daily basis;) Except from the one nighly that introduced cornerstone, they are just as stable as the 1.0.0.

That is a root method developed by solarnz link to thread. This method should work on every xoom that can be bootloader-unlocked. (Thats all of them, except family edition and Xoom2/Xyboard)