2nd bad M8...sigh...

Search This thread

FlowingAway

Oct 21, 2007
Looks like I have wound up with LTE connectivity issues on my 2nd M8. It's defaulting back to 3G and never trying LTE again. I'm in an area where the circuit fallback has already been installed and is up and running, so it shouldn't be that. It randomly just stopped working properly over the weekend. Sprint has told me there are no issues in my area, no work being done.

Is there any chance HTC or Sprint acknowledge this issue with their phones? What is happening under the hood to cause the phone to randomly get mucked up and never be able to get back to normal? Or is there a way to get back to normal?

Profile, PRL updates, rebooting, airplane mode are all (very) temporary fixes for a bigger problem. It acts and feels like a software issue, but is it something that can be reversed or does it get embedded into the firmware, never to be removed? I've tried flashing firmware multiple times without rebooting, over top of itself more than once, hoping to knock out or overwrite something wrong inside. I ran OMJ's h/k RUU last night and it connected to LTE as soon as it rebooted, but today it's right back to where it was.

themuffinman

Jan 3, 2008
Looks like I have wound up with LTE connectivity issues on my 2nd M8. It's defaulting back to 3G and never trying LTE again. I'm in an area where the circuit fallback has already been installed and is up and running, so it shouldn't be that. It randomly just stopped working properly over the weekend. Sprint has told me there are no issues in my area, no work being done.

Is there any chance HTC or Sprint acknowledge this issue with their phones? What is happening under the hood to cause the phone to randomly get mucked up and never be able to get back to normal? Or is there a way to get back to normal?

Profile, PRL updates, rebooting, airplane mode are all (very) temporary fixes for a bigger problem. It acts and feels like a software issue, but is it something that can be reversed or does it get embedded into the firmware, never to be removed? I've tried flashing firmware multiple times without rebooting, over top of itself more than once, hoping to knock out or overwrite something wrong inside. I ran OMJ's h/k RUU last night and it connected to LTE as soon as it rebooted, but today it's right back to where it was.

Its really difficult to tell if its the device or the network but for the most part calling sprint is no doubt a waste of time. Over on the gs5 forums you hear the same complaints all day long. As a matter of fact, go to any sprint tri-band device forum and you will know doubt hear the same exact complaints.

themuffinman

Jan 3, 2008
Goto to a Sprint Store and Compare it Side-By-Side.

It's the only way to know for sure.

That may or may not make a difference, two of the same devices in the same location can be connected to different towers unless he uses an app to confirm that both are connected to the same tower and even then I have had experience with two exact devices connecting to the same tower and issues with that tower actually affected one device and not the other and nothing was defective with either device. Weird

BubZX

Jul 5, 2011
Its really difficult to tell if its the device or the network but for the most part calling sprint is no doubt a waste of time. Over on the gs5 forums you hear the same complaints all day long. As a matter of fact, go to any sprint tri-band device forum and you will know doubt hear the same exact complaints.

So far, I am, one of the lucky ones with an, s5 that hasnt had a bit of problems. I almost picked up the m8 over the s5 to give htc a try but keeping a watch on this forum made up my decision quick to stay with sammy. Don't get me wrong there are some s5 owners that have had problems but u m8 guys seemed to be getting hosed pretty bad.

Sent from my SM-G900P using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

themuffinman

Jan 3, 2008
So far, I am, one of the lucky ones with an, s5 that hasnt had a bit of problems. I almost picked up the m8 over the s5 to give htc a try but keeping a watch on this forum made up my decision quick to stay with sammy. Don't get me wrong there are some s5 owners that have had problems but u m8 guys seemed to be getting hosed pretty bad.

Sent from my SM-G900P using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Well personally, I haven't had any issues to speak of with the two m8's I have on my account.

FlowingAway

Oct 21, 2007
Well personally, I haven't had any issues to speak of with the two m8's I have on my account.

I'd say keep a very close eye on them both. My 2nd one was perfect right out of the gate and stayed perfect for 3 weeks, then suddenly just poof it's jacked. It's not as bad as my 1st, but still frustrating. The 1st one wouldn't stay connected to anything, certainly not LTE. Now mine just wants to revert to 3G as soon as it possibly can. Very strange.

josh030181

Dec 29, 2010
Baltimoe,Md
My daughter gets very good data with her g2, picks up lte in areas I don't and it gets me frustrated, it sucks I don't no anybody who has a m8 to compare mine with, I'm gonna have to wait till my wife gets hers with her upgrade

Sent from my 831C using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

mswlogo

Dec 15, 2004
Boston
That may or may not make a difference, two of the same devices in the same location can be connected to different towers unless he uses an app to confirm that both are connected to the same tower and even then I have had experience with two exact devices connecting to the same tower and issues with that tower actually affected one device and not the other and nothing was defective with either device. Weird

I think it's certainly possible but not that common. And if they do behave the same then he's probably ok. If they don't then he'd have to dig deeper.

One store had several M8's on display and the all behaved identical and very different from mine.

I should have 3 of them tonight to compare :) One being returned to sprint and one that will get sold in the end.

johnnygabe89

Oct 3, 2012
As a sprint rep who lives in an area that sprint spark and bands 2600 and 800 are being implemented I assure you it is not your device, it is the network. This is happening on all lg g2s, g flexs, s4 tri bands, s4 minis, nexus 5s and gs5s. Since the Soft Bank by out Sprint is doing a massive overhaul on their network. Sure service might suck ass for a few months but you'll appreciate it when its done. Hang in there, its more than likely not your device.

mobilecj

Oct 14, 2009
California
As a sprint rep who lives in an area that sprint spark and bands 2600 and 800 are being implemented I assure you it is not your device, it is the network. This is happening on all lg g2s, g flexs, s4 tri bands, s4 minis, nexus 5s and gs5s. Since the Soft Bank by out Sprint is doing a massive overhaul on their network. Sure service might suck ass for a few months but you'll appreciate it when its done. Hang in there, its more than likely not your device.

Man I hope your right . Waiting on my replacement now to make sure it's not my device.

Sent from my 831C using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

johnnygabe89

Oct 3, 2012
I see it daily man. From what I have been told, they had problems with cross connecting calls when implementing spark. Since then, they resolved that issue but then created the 4g data/voice connectivity issue. Meaning when you are on 4g, the tower isn't telling your phone when its receiving a call. Ever wonder why the m8 cannot talk and use data at the same time? However an s3 can. Does that phone have this issue? Nope. Its not so much our phones but more so the towers not communicating to our phone the way they should. This is why when you switch to CDMA only instead of CDMA/LTE, you receive voice calls and texts. Again, you can change this in settings/mobile data/network mode.

FlowingAway

Oct 21, 2007
LTE only mode works perfect when I enable it. It connects to band 26. Switch back to LTE/CDMA and LTE refuses to connect. The reason I'm confused is because everything worked for 3 weeks straight in perfect fashion. The Sprint rep I spoke to said no work was even being done in my area. @johnnygabe89 can you help me understand how this could be?

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

nfinitefx45

Apr 12, 2010
Abingdon, MD.
LTE only mode works perfect when I enable it. It connects to band 26. Switch back to LTE/CDMA and LTE refuses to connect. The reason I'm confused is because everything worked for 3 weeks straight in perfect fashion. The Sprint rep I spoke to said no work was even being done in my area. @johnnygabe89 can you help me understand how this could be?

Sprint Triband LTE devices do not support SVLTE (Simultaneous Voice and LTE).

In previous Sprint LTE phones, when a device was in Sprint LTE coverage it would park in both the LTE and CDMA Sprint networks at the same time. When a voice call came in, it would just go straight through to the device. And signal to the LTE network would be maintained the whole time while the call was active.

In contrast, a Sprint Triband LTE device can only stay on one technology at a time. CDMA or LTE, not both. So when a Sprint LTE Triband device is in Sprint LTE coverage it parks only in LTE. And doing so means it cannot transmit calls without Circuit Switched Fallback (CSFB) on the network side. CSFB and eCSFB (Enhanced Circuit Switched Fallback) are network controls that will allow a single mode/single path network to operate in two modes, both CDMA and LTE.

Here is how it works in the simplest way I can describe. When your Triband LTE device has an LTE signal, it cannot receive or make calls on its own. It is just using LTE data happily. However, what if someone calls you? How does it get through the CDMA network to your device? Via CSFB.

When the Sprint network tries to forward a call to your device but cannot see it via CDMA, it then checks for an LTE connection to your device. If it sees one, it tells your device to disconnect from LTE for a moment and reconnect to CDMA. Your device then jumps over to take the call on Sprint CDMA and the LTE session is interrupted. This happens very fast and seamlessly. Except for the loss of data availability. If you receive a text, the Sprint network is able to route it to your device via LTE.

Circuit Switched Fallback is a great solution to the issue of Sprint Triband LTE smartphones. But the problem here is that the Sprint network is being upgraded in Network Vision, and not all Sprint parts of the Sprint network can currently support CSFB. And it affects all Sprint Triband LTE phones

If yoou want you can read this article all the way thru

FlowingAway

Oct 21, 2007
I don't think it's a circuit switch fallback issue. This morning I'm connected to band 25 and lte is working. It's when I connect to band 26 that it disconnects. So maybe its not a broken phone?

nfinitefx45

Apr 12, 2010
Abingdon, MD.
I don't think it's a circuit switch fallback issue. This morning I'm connected to band 25 and lte is working. It's when I connect to band 26 that it disconnects. So maybe its not a broken phone?

Well from what I have gathered from all my reading about the issues is that Band 25 is the Sprint Triband LTE, and Band 26 is the older SVLTE (Simultaneous Voice and LTE) and may not support the CSFB and eCSFB yet.
I could be wrong in my assumption

FlowingAway

Oct 21, 2007
I feel like I remember reading that band 26 is the new frequency 800

Ph33zy

Feb 24, 2006
Orange County, CA
I also think it's the network. When I first got the phone, I experienced the 3g of death, but have not experienced it much lately as it seems like Sprint is updating their network in my area.
I'm getting LTE in places now that I have never gotten on my M7.

This weekend, I went to LegoLand, which is a highly congested area, and was getting the 3g off death again, which I believe is related to the network. This is similar to when I went to Disneyland with my M7 last year and could never use Sprint service in the park to due to it being a congested area.

I find it helps to turn off roaming in areas where you get the 3g of death and just connect to the Home network. Try that and see if you get better results. It seemed to work for me this past weekend.

Last edited:

FlowingAway

Oct 21, 2007
It appears that my area is getting LTE added to the Band 26 800Mhz frequency, though it's not fully up and running yet. So my M8 is scanning and sees that band available, and most likely prefers that band, so it connects but it's not fully implemented yet, so it kicks back to 3G. There was a moment this morning where I had fully working LTE, and lo and behold I was on Band 25, not 26.

If only there was a way to disable Band 26 on the M8 until it's totally up and running...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Sprint Triband LTE devices do not support SVLTE (Simultaneous Voice and LTE).

In previous Sprint LTE phones, when a device was in Sprint LTE coverage it would park in both the LTE and CDMA Sprint networks at the same time. When a voice call came in, it would just go straight through to the device. And signal to the LTE network would be maintained the whole time while the call was active.

In contrast, a Sprint Triband LTE device can only stay on one technology at a time. CDMA or LTE, not both. So when a Sprint LTE Triband device is in Sprint LTE coverage it parks only in LTE. And doing so means it cannot transmit calls without Circuit Switched Fallback (CSFB) on the network side. CSFB and eCSFB (Enhanced Circuit Switched Fallback) are network controls that will allow a single mode/single path network to operate in two modes, both CDMA and LTE.

Here is how it works in the simplest way I can describe. When your Triband LTE device has an LTE signal, it cannot receive or make calls on its own. It is just using LTE data happily. However, what if someone calls you? How does it get through the CDMA network to your device? Via CSFB.

When the Sprint network tries to forward a call to your device but cannot see it via CDMA, it then checks for an LTE connection to your device. If it sees one, it tells your device to disconnect from LTE for a moment and reconnect to CDMA. Your device then jumps over to take the call on Sprint CDMA and the LTE session is interrupted. This happens very fast and seamlessly. Except for the loss of data availability. If you receive a text, the Sprint network is able to route it to your device via LTE.

Circuit Switched Fallback is a great solution to the issue of Sprint Triband LTE smartphones. But the problem here is that the Sprint network is being upgraded in Network Vision, and not all Sprint parts of the Sprint network can currently support CSFB. And it affects all Sprint Triband LTE phones

If yoou want you can read this article all the way thru
    I also think it's the network. When I first got the phone, I experienced the 3g of death, but have not experienced it much lately as it seems like Sprint is updating their network in my area.
    I'm getting LTE in places now that I have never gotten on my M7.

This weekend, I went to LegoLand, which is a highly congested area, and was getting the 3g off death again, which I believe is related to the network. This is similar to when I went to Disneyland with my M7 last year and could never use Sprint service in the park to due to it being a congested area.

I find it helps to turn off roaming in areas where you get the 3g of death and just connect to the Home network. Try that and see if you get better results. It seemed to work for me this past weekend.

My "3G of death" was definitely not the network. New phone is 100% better and I still had the old one I could compare side by side.
    I could not even activate the broken one in a 3G only area. Another symptom (which is why I keep thinking it was firmware or configuration)
    is the broken phone would, within an hour or so, Grey out all the "Roaming Guard" options. 4 days later on the replacement phone they have not
    been greyed out. I think this is an early symptom. Because those were locked out on the broken phone before "3G of Death" set in.

It behaved like it thought it was roaming on something it shouldn't or that I wasn't allowed to roam. Which made it almost look like an account issue.

I even tried reactivatng the broken phone after I got the new phone working and it immediately had issues again. It could only be activated over WIFI.
    Phone calls in 3G only areas would consistently drop after like 30 seconds.

Another thing it may have been doing is THINKING there was a cheaper or faster network available, then attempting to use it and fail and then fall back.
    It was constantly "Connecting..." to something.
    It was often showing only 1x (which is accurately displayed on BadBoys ROM).
    Even with 1x showing up as soon as you went to use Data it would drop Data completely.

It was really messed up.