FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP] [UPDATED 9/27/2011]V1.9 Working App to Backup Windows Phone 7 via ZUNE ANY TIME

1,278 posts
Thanks Meter: 275

By hx4700 Killer, Senior Member on 29th May 2011, 11:43 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
2nd June 2011, 08:57 PM |#101  
Thanks Meter: 28

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hx4700 Killer

There is a "handshake" event that has to take place between the phone and the software and if that fails it will throw errors... usually that the handshake failed but who knows. Its almost impossible to know without seeing it myself and troubleshooting.

Sounds like you have a backup now so I'm glad it worked out.

yes i have it now
many thanks for all of u'r works
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	backup.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	614285  

3rd June 2011, 02:18 AM |#102  
Thanks Meter: 436

More
just successfully backed up my LG Quantum. Great work. good to have it. btw. the backup seems to be faster than via Zune? It took just a little over 300sec.
3rd June 2011, 02:40 AM |#103  
OP Senior Member
Texas

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by derausgewanderte

just successfully backed up my LG Quantum. Great work. good to have it. btw. the backup seems to be faster than via Zune? It took just a little over 300sec.

Having used the reflector to decompile updatewp I am sure it is the identical backup to zune now as it uses the same class that zune does to perform the update with backup function.

I'm glad it worked for you.
3rd June 2011, 06:16 PM |#104  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Northern California
Thanks Meter: 619

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

New features added today:

1. Archive of old backups instead of overwriting them if you choose to do so.
2. Restore of active backup or review archive and switch one of them to the active backup and then restore it automatically.

I love the direction this is headed.

Here is a feature request. I have NO IDEA how hard it is to implement something like this, so it's just a suggestion.

How about when you start the program, it not only asks for the pks location, but also asks where you would like backups stored. It could create a backup in the default directory, and then zip up that backup using the date as the zip name, and then move the zip to the directory you selected. In my case, I have a directory called Samsung Focus Backup where I store my backups. They are named 5-27-2011.zip, 6-3-2011.zip, etc...

Again, not sure how hard this would be, but it's the exact method I'm saving my backups, just manually. Automated would be very cool!

DANG! I'm SO SORRY! This is what I get for not understanding what I'm reading... You already do almost exactly what I was just asking...
3rd June 2011, 06:30 PM |#105  
OP Senior Member
Texas

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSport

I love the direction this is headed.

Here is a feature request. I have NO IDEA how hard it is to implement something like this, so it's just a suggestion.

How about when you start the program, it not only asks for the pks location, but also asks where you would like backups stored. It could create a backup in the default directory, and then zip up that backup using the date as the zip name, and then move the zip to the directory you selected. In my case, I have a directory called Samsung Focus Backup where I store my backups. They are named 5-27-2011.zip, 6-3-2011.zip, etc...

Again, not sure how hard this would be, but it's the exact method I'm saving my backups, just manually. Automated would be very cool!

DANG! I'm SO SORRY! This is what I get for not understanding what I'm reading... You already do almost exactly what I was just asking...

The ZIP is a good idea. As for relocating the backups ZUNE will ONLY recognize backups in the location it writes them. They can be moved around after a backup and before a restore though.

So yes essentially if you want archive capability I could give you, the user, a choice on where it goes that is easy enough, and again zipping is a good idea but without redistributing someone elses zip app I don't recall that the windows GUI has a build in ZIP command line capability.

Interesting thought, thanks. Currently I have been looking at getting the phones Identity so if someone has multiple devices I can filter the archive during a restore operation to only show backups to choose from for said device rather than ALL the backups you ever saved.
The Following User Says Thank You to hx4700 Killer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hx4700 Killer Ad-Free
3rd June 2011, 06:58 PM |#106  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Northern California
Thanks Meter: 619

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

The ZIP is a good idea. As for relocating the backups ZUNE will ONLY recognize backups in the location it writes them. They can be moved around after a backup and before a restore though.

So yes essentially if you want archive capability I could give you, the user, a choice on where it goes that is easy enough, and again zipping is a good idea but without redistributing someone elses zip app I don't recall that the windows GUI has a build in ZIP command line capability.

Interesting thought, thanks. Currently I have been looking at getting the phones Identity so if someone has multiple devices I can filter the archive during a restore operation to only show backups to choose from for said device rather than ALL the backups you ever saved.

Does 7zip being open source allow redistribution? I don't fully understand licenses, etc... I use 7zip for most of my zip jobs. Again, I'm sorry I missed how your features worked in your latest release. I just ran another backup using your latest tool, and it worked flawlessly. Archive Backup stored in My Documents as stated. For me, that is plenty good. Zip would be nice, but not absolutely necessary. You are doing a great job, thank you.

7zip documentation for using command line and within Visual Basic:
http://www.dotnetperls.com/7-zip-examples
http://www.dotnetperls.com/7-zip
3rd June 2011, 07:18 PM |#107  
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 72

More
How much compression do you get zipping the files? When I zipped my backup to post it online, it didn't make much difference

Sent from my Focus using XDA Windows Phone 7 App
3rd June 2011, 07:39 PM |#108  
OP Senior Member
Texas

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by munkeyphyst

How much compression do you get zipping the files? When I zipped my backup to post it online, it didn't make much difference

Sent from my Focus using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

While it is handy to have a single file to keep your backup in I'm not sure how practical zipping would be now that I think about it..... It took 20 minutes for my 12GB backup and saved 10k
3rd June 2011, 08:38 PM |#109  

More
yestarday i do a backup & i do it just fine but today i saw all the homebrew apps i launch was deleted so i try to see if my unlocked works but it didn't,before the backup it was fine & after it removed the chevron unlock...
3rd June 2011, 08:53 PM |#110  
OP Senior Member
Texas

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd2leo_fusion

yestarday i do a backup & i do it just fine but today i saw all the homebrew apps i launch was deleted so i try to see if my unlocked works but it didn't,before the backup it was fine & after it removed the chevron unlock...

You seem to be having quite a bit of difficulty using this tool and beyond. I don't know what to tell you without seeing the troubles you have been having first-hand.

My phone is Chevron unlocked. I have a registry editor, the voice to ext app and a few other homebrew apps and have backed up my phone... well I have lost count of how many times I have done via this method it and have never lost a single app and am still dev. unlocked.

If the backup tool is truly responsible for it then I am sorry and I would suggest not using it anymore as I don't know of how it could have done this or how to fix it.
3rd June 2011, 09:54 PM |#111  

More
Quote:

You seem to be having quite a bit of difficulty using this tool and beyond. I don't know what to tell you without seeing the troubles you have been having first-hand.

My phone is Chevron unlocked. I have a registry editor, the voice to ext app and a few other homebrew apps and have backed up my phone... well I have lost count of how many times I have done via this method it and have never lost a single app and am still dev. unlocked.

If the backup tool is truly responsible for it then I am sorry and I would suggest not using it anymore as I don't know of how it could have done this or how to fix it.

i got my previous backup (05-25-2011) so i don't lost apps
ps : when i launch the tools the first time it was asked me if i want to deplace the previous backup,i say no,today i saw the tools deplace the previous image on a folder name "Windows Phone 7 Zune Backup Archive"
edit : i retry now to do a backup see if the trouble happen again
edit 2 : now after i made the backup everything working well
i though it was the first time i launch the tools something weird with my phone happened,glad it works
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)