How to stop the update to fc09 message!!! Modified 5/14/2012

Search This thread

flastnoles11

Nov 16, 2011
Palm bay
OnePlus 9 Pro
Edit- use the same method but replace all EL30 with FC09

First off so everybody knows, feezing system updates did not work... neither did just installing the el30 modem... but this did... Ok this is very easy! Let it try to install... obviously it will fail because you are rooted... now you should see an exclamation point... just pull the battery and reboot! No more nagging message from your phone to update! This will work regardless of if you are on the el30 modem or not.... I have done it with the ei22 modem, el30 modem, and the ec05 modem and haven't had the update prompt after doin this...
Edit- after the battery pull and reboot don't panic if it throws you into cwm upon reboot, just reboot from there and you're good to go! LIKE ALWAYS MAKE A BACKUP!
Edit- for everybody getting the update a few days after doin this try this (fix by toadlife)
The update notification will probably stop if you modify the build.prop file to trick the phone into thinking it already has EL30.

Try this:

Open up a root shell and type the following (via adb, or a shell app)

su
remount rw
sed -i 's/SPH-D700-user 2.3.5 GINGERBREAD EI22 release-keys/SPH-D700-user 2.3.6 GINGERBREAD EL30 release-keys/g' /system/build.prop
sed -i 's/sprint\/SPH-D700\/SPH-D700:2.3.5\/GINGERBREAD\/EI22:user\/release-keys/sprint\/SPH-D700\/SPH-D700:2.3.6\/GINGERBREAD\/EL30:user\/release-keys/g' /system/build.prop
remount ro

I would recommend adb so you can copy and paste. Typing that might take awhile. 

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

iil

Dec 14, 2010
Interesting. I wonder if deleting the update.zip file would accomplish the same although I suppose it could just download again.

socos25

Nov 8, 2010
Earth
I have not received any update notification. I will consider myself lucky.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

JRRinNC

Apr 18, 2011
I woke this morning to the update as well. I dismissed it but it kept coming back up for me about every half hour. I have CleanGB MTD, so wasn't sure what it would do if I allowed the update. Saw this post, though, and let it go / pulled battery as directed. Haven't had it pop up since. Phew! THANKS!

MДЯCЦSДИT

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 21, 2010
This would be annoying if it failed from a bad download and then you couldn't update when you are actually stock...

Reactions: Fire n mage

latinoboi30

Dec 5, 2011
Houston
First off so everybody knows, feezing system updates did not work... neither did just installing the el30 modem... but this did... Ok this is very easy! Let it try to install... obviously it will fail because you are rooted... now you should see an exclamation point... just pull the battery and reboot! No more nagging message from your phone to update! This will work regardless of if you are on the el30 modem or not.... I have done it with the ei22 modem, el30 modem, and the ec05 modem and haven't had the update prompt after doin this...

Thanks for this info...... I was getting frustrated with the update message. I did as u stated and it no longer shows the message. Thanks again!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

DaKillaWilla

Apr 12, 2009
Copy this apk into dir /system/app with root explorer
make sure u set the permissions to the same as the other files in that dir.

Fotakill.apk
http://db.tt/i2YmYqwT

This stopped the ei22 ota from downloading to my phone when I was on froyo.

Reactions: razorlove

flastnoles11

Nov 16, 2011
Palm bay
OnePlus 9 Pro
Copy this apk into dir /system/app with root explorer
make sure u set the permissions to the same as the other files in that dir.

Fotakill.apk
http://db.tt/i2YmYqwT

This stopped the ei22 ota from downloading to my phone when I was on froyo.

No need... just let it try to install and the notification stops....

samep

Dec 8, 2011
Thanks for this; I haven't seen nags to update but now I know what to do when it happens.

DroidApprentice

Nov 7, 2010
I was a shade worried when the first thing that happened after the battery pull was a kick back into CWM. I just did a nandroid before to be safe, and didn't want to be placed in a CWM bootloop or something. But other than that I think this method may have worked like a charm! Thanks.

Reactions: flastnoles11

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Edit- use the same method but replace all EL30 with FC09

Edit- after the battery pull and reboot don't panic if it throws you into cwm upon reboot, just reboot from there and you're good to go! LIKE ALWAYS MAKE A BACKUP!
    Edit- for everybody getting the update a few days after doin this try this (fix by toadlife)
    The update notification will probably stop if you modify the build.prop file to trick the phone into thinking it already has EL30.

Try this:

su
    remount rw
    sed -i 's/SPH-D700-user 2.3.5 GINGERBREAD EI22 release-keys/SPH-D700-user 2.3.6 GINGERBREAD EL30 release-keys/g' /system/build.prop
    sed -i 's/sprint\/SPH-D700\/SPH-D700:2.3.5\/GINGERBREAD\/EI22:user\/release-keys/sprint\/SPH-D700\/SPH-D700:2.3.6\/GINGERBREAD\/EL30:user\/release-keys/g' /system/build.prop
    remount ro

ROM Toolbox works

Super Easy to do it in ROM Toolbox. The built in build.prop editor makes it a breeze. Make sure you reboot after you make the changes
    Anybody having problems and getting the update after a few days after doing this try this method of editing the build.prop... (fix by toadlife)
    The update notification will probably stop of you modify the build.prop file to trick the phone into thinking it already has EL30.

Try this:

su
    remount rw
    remount ro

If you changed to EL30, then search and replace for EL30 with FC09.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium
    For anyone wondering: Stock rooted doesn't stop OTA's from working, what stops it is deodexing or removing/modifying apps from system/app.

When we had OneClickRoots, they removed the Asphalt 5 demo to fit root in. That's why "stock rooted" is thought to stop OTA's from working. But, if the only thing you did to root was Odin cwm and flash the su.zip the OTA will update.

Sent from something with a Kモ尺れモㄥ.