samsung galaxy tab 2 7.0 gt-p3113 root

Search This thread

TONY6669

Inactive Recognized Themer
Apr 14, 2012
chicago
i am not sure if i am posting this in the right spot but here is my question has anyone been able to root the new samsung galaxy tab 2 7.0 wifi GT-P3113 8gb running ICS 4.0.3 from factory ??? any help would be great even if it is to guide me to the right forum thanks in advance

dzowada

Apr 12, 2011
Just got mine today, wouldn't you know it, first thing I do is look here for root even though it was just released two days ago.:D

Please add my vote for a new section.

Swyzzlestickz

Jul 13, 2009
Chicago, IL
I am in line too

I am in the same boat. I have tried every root process out there available for dual core Samsung devices and came up with nothing. Two things I would love to have for this device 1. Root(so I can restore my game data from my bigger tab) 2. A Bone stock ICS ROM.....I guess I should say a recovery as well so I can load a stock ICS ROM onto there.

Diablo2424

Mar 6, 2008
Mine is on it's way from J&R and it's going to eventually be torn apart and put in my dash of my Nissan Altima to replace my headunit... but I def. want to root it before then, hope it can get it's own section and some dev's can root and ROM it! :)

dLo GSR

Mar 7, 2011
Los Angeles
i'm liking this tab, except of course lack of root yet (want to restore app data from TiBu!), but of course it's super early to expect it. i also don't like that tablet-mode statusbar/softkeys can't be hidden, so when I play fullscreen videos the buttons are always there. other than that, i am a happy camper.

stevepwolf

Apr 1, 2012
agree, the notification bar always there takes some getting used to.

this needs root badly. apps2sd would be huge, among other things.

Swyzzlestickz

Jul 13, 2009
Chicago, IL
*sigh*

I am wondering how the root works an I am positive there are plenty of threads explaining this, my quesiotn is would the root be an exploit for ICS? or it is specific to Samsung?

GRZLA

Sep 14, 2010
I am wondering how the root works an I am positive there are plenty of threads explaining this, my quesiotn is would the root be an exploit for ICS? or it is specific to Samsung?

It could go either way really. Some of the things in stock ICS are still there on Samsung's custom build of it. An exploit for either of the two is worth trying. The real problem is, how many Samsung ICS devices are there? Anyone look into trying whatever worked on the Galaxy Nexus for the Tab 2?

---------- Post added at 10:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 AM ----------

Sorry for the double post, but this is a method of root that could be an Android wide thing and not rely on a specific exploit. I know they use this for things like the Transformer Prime as well as the Acer A200, so I figured anyone with some development knowledge could take a look at it as I am clueless on that front.

Forgot to include the link, duh.
https://github.com/saurik/mempodroid/

Last edited:

Swyzzlestickz

Jul 13, 2009
Chicago, IL
It could go either way really. Some of the things in stock ICS are still there on Samsung's custom build of it. An exploit for either of the two is worth trying. The real problem is, how many Samsung ICS devices are there? Anyone look into trying whatever worked on the Galaxy Nexus for the Tab 2?

---------- Post added at 10:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 AM ----------

Sorry for the double post, but this is a method of root that could be an Android wide thing and not rely on a specific exploit. I know they use this for things like the Transformer Prime as well as the Acer A200, so I figured anyone with some development knowledge could take a look at it as I am clueless on that front.

Forgot to include the link, duh.
https://github.com/saurik/mempodroid/

I tried a few things from the Acer side as well and came up with nothing. The only official ICS devices for Sammy are Galaxy nexus, and one of the galaxy S II variants. Most times they are rooted through Odin first. This device needs some pub so we can grab a dev or two's attention.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA

GRZLA

Sep 14, 2010
I'm chatting with a developer in private messages right now. I got him to try the mempodroid exploit and he says that it looks like they have closed the hole. Maybe I should send him a link to this thread.

Diablo2424

Mar 6, 2008
Yes, please do. If a developer needs anything from the Tablet, mine will be at my house tomorrow... I have access to and know how to use ADB, so I can contribute towards helping get us root! :)

mentalcase

Mar 27, 2007
Central NJ
Yes, please do. If a developer needs anything from the Tablet, mine will be at my house tomorrow... I have access to and know how to use ADB, so I can contribute towards helping get us root! :)

+1 on this. I received mine yesterday and started any known exploit with no success. If any dev needs me to test something let me know!!! We need this thing rooted yesterday and custom roms tomorrow!!!

We also need a separate forum on xda. Just saying.

BTW, Diablo - awesome idea for the head unit. I'm interested to see how it works out!

GRZLA

Sep 14, 2010
I went ahead and sent him a link to the thread so we can document any findings that anyone comes across.

mentalcase

Mar 27, 2007
Central NJ
I was thinking of using odin to flash the CWM for a plus 7.0. The possibility of bricking my device and not having backup to flash is holding me back though.

Once we have CWM rooting it should be as easy as flashing a zip file with SU included. Right? I'm in no way a dev, just a guy who thinks he knows what is going on.

GRZLA

Sep 14, 2010
I was thinking of using odin to flash the CWM for a plus 7.0. The possibility of bricking my device and not having backup to flash is holding me back though.

Once we have CWM rooting it should be as easy as flashing a zip file with SU included. Right? I'm in no way a dev, just a guy who thinks he knows what is going on.

There is a system dump of our device floating around here, but using odin is the way to go and using another devices odin method setup as a template is probably our best bet.

If we can install CWM, which would have to be built, then we could theoretically flash a superuser.zip, but I think the superuser.zip is a little more complicated than installing just the superuser.apk. I am pretty sure it also includes busy box and binaries, but I am also not a developer so I am just giving it my best educated guess.

Last edited:

Swyzzlestickz

Jul 13, 2009
Chicago, IL
I just got mine a few days ago and I will try to odin if you can find a compatible file. I will most certainly lie to microcenter about it being a brick to get a new one.....Just like I did with sprint. I told them it said something about an update and when I clicked it I lost power when I powered it back on it kept looping. So lets get craking on this

K

knucklesmckay

As you guy probably know though, you'll want to be very careful with odin. If something goes wrong or it is flashed the wrong way, you will totally screw your device up.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Re-Re-Written Instructions

I have re-written Ayenn13's instructions, which he re-wrote from machx0r.

Give them the credit for the origin of these, I just made them easier to understand (and a little more accurate :D).

I also attached the files you need to this post, just in case the links stop working :p. (You just have to unzip them using 7-Zip, WinRAR or WinZip, both attachments include the SAME files, I added both .zip and .7z as some people prefer one over the other.)

Instructions for installing Clockwork Recovery and Rooting your Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7"

1. Download recovery.tar.md5.

2. Copy cwm-root-gtab2.zip to your ext SDCard ("Card" in Windows Explorer).

3. Download Odin for windows.

4. Make sure your device is not plugged in via USB.

5. Make sure your device is in “USB debugging” mode.

• Navigate through Menu>Settings>Developer Options and check the “USB debugging” option.

6. Reboot your tablet into download mode. By either one of these options: (*NOTE: Connect your device to your PC using the USB cable if you will be rebooting your device through ADB!)

• Power off the tablet. Hold the Volume Down button and Power button. Volume up to confirm download mode.

• If you have adb installed run 'adb reboot download' from a command prompt.

7. Launch Odin, click PDA and browse to the recovery.tar.md5 file (unless you moved it, it will be in your user downloads folder).

8. Hit start, when completed your tablet will reboot.

9. Reboot your tablet into recovery mode. By either one of these options:

• Power off the tablet. Hold down the Volume Up button and Power button. When you see the "Galaxy Tab" logo release Power but continue holding Volume Up.

• If you have adb installed run 'adb reboot recovery' from a command prompt.

10. In the CWM menu (the menu will be in the upper left corner of the now landscape mode screen) navigate to "install zip from sdcard" (volume keys navigate) and press power to select.

11. Select "choose zip from sdcard".

12. Navigate to the "cmw-root-gtab2.zip" you saved to your sd card earlier (it should be the only option if you have not used any other root methods).

13. Wait for the install to complete, shouldn't take long.

14. Select "go back" from the menu at the top, back out two menus then select the reboot device option.

15. Your device will restart. On the first restart you will see it "Update Android".

16. ??????????

17. Profit!
    I have rewritten the instructions for the novice rooter (which is what I am given I have only been around the superuser world for tow months). machx0r forgot a few important steps for us novices. :confused:

I would like to thank machx0r for giving the directions they have. Without them I would not have figured the rest out! :)

Here are the desecrate and explicate instructions for this process...

1. Get a copy of Mobile Odin and install it (it is on Google Play).

2. Get a copy of ClockworkMod and install it (it is on Google Play).

3.Download recovery.tar.md5.

4. Copy cwm-root-gtab2.zip to your extSdCard (Card in Windows Explorer)

5. Download Odin for windows.

6. Make sure your device is not plugged in via USB.

7. Make sure your device is in “USB debugging” mode

a. To do so navigate through Menu>Settings>Applications>Development
    Options and check the “USB debugging” option.​

8. Reboot your tablet into download mode. Either one of these options:

a. Power off the tablet. Hold the Volume Down button and Power button.
    Volume up to confirm download mode.​

b. If you have adb installed run 'adb reboot download' from a
    command prompt​

9. Launch Odin, click PDA and browse to the recovery.tar.md5 file (unless you moved it will be in your user downloads folder).

10. Hit start and your tablet will reboot.

11. Unplug the USB connection.

12. Reboot your tablet into recovery mode. Either one of these options:

a. Power off the tablet. Hold down the Volume Up button and Power button.
    When you see the "Galaxy Tab" logo release Power but continue holding Volume Up​

b. If you have adb installed run 'adb reboot recovery' from a
    command prompt​

13.In the CWM menu (the menu will be in the upper left corner of the now landscape mode screen) navigate to "install zip from sdcard" (volume keys navigate) and press power to select

14. Select "choose zip from sdcard"

15. Navigate to the "cmw-root-gtab2.zip" you saved to your sd card earlier (it should be the only opition if you have not used any other root methods).

16. Select go back from the menu at the top through two menus then select the restart device option.

17. Your device will restart. In the process it will update android.

18. Profit!​
    Please share with the rest of the class :p Did you just change density and then install or something more to it?

Ok class, listen up. j/K ;). I initially tried to use the swype apk from my 7.7. It installed, but forced closed over and over. So I thought about it, and figured out another idea, that I was almost positive wasnt going to work. But it did.

I used the swype apk that I had from an install on my kindle fire. I used these instructions here to get it installed onto my Fire. I ended up returning the Fire to buy the gtab 2, but I had backups of it. And it was as simple as installing that apk.

Now Ive read that swype really frowns on people posting modified swype apk's. But this one is not modified in anyway other than it was used on a device that wasnt suppose to work but did. So I hope this wont cause any issues, and if it does feel free to delete the file. Anyway here it is. Hope it works as easy for others as it did for me.
    here it is

since we have no forum yet (um come on mods get to it!) I can't post a shiny new thready for my very first real dev, ROOT FOR YOUR GALAXY TAB 2 7.0!!

so I'll put it in this post, and I'll mention I posted this on rootzwiki first, we have our very own forum there... (XDA I love ya, and I know you will get there hehe)

** Edit ***
    I just attached the files as well as mediafire, rename the txt file to pit (xda won't accept the file as is..

I have gained root through using a modified boot.img from the gt-p3110 leak posted a few weeks ago, took me all day but here it is.

Note I haven't only tested this on my device, its 2am est and all my testers are asleep (that being termitech lol)..

Standard YMMV
    So big fat warning, I MAKE NO GUARANTEES THIS WILL NOT BRICK YOUR TAB, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

Now with that unpleasantness out of the way.. with out further ado. I present the very first root for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0!! Yay mom I'm a dev now!

The method will have you using hemidall/heimdall-frontend there is a way to put this all into an odin package but I'm too exhausted to do so (for now).. Also I will not re-hash how to install or use heimdall.. you can look that up on your own

Get it here:
    http://www.glassechidna.com.au/products/heimdall/

Process
    Once that is installed do the following:
    • reboot tablet into download mode
    • adb reboot download

• launch heimdall-frontend
    • go to flash tab
    • load attached pit file (gt-p3110.pit)
    • Then from partion details choose "KERNEL", click "Add"
    • then choose "Browse" and select the attached boot-bjr.img
    • choose "Start"

after the tablet reboots:

Code:
    adb shell
    ./su
    ./gtab2-root.sh

Congratulations you are now rooted!

I'm going to try and stay up a bit longer and monitor this (and the xda thread) please let me know immediately of success or failure, I will pull the files if failure.. Issues with heimdall aside, I want reports back on if things work.. They work for me.. and I tested a fresh factory img just a few minutes ago.. pretty sure we are good!

gt-p3110.pit

boot-bjr.img
    Ive made some progress..

I'm able to make and flash new boot.img's and change files in the initramfs, having a bit of trouble getting adb to come up insecure.. any other devs out there want to chime in?

---------- Post added at 07:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 PM ----------

I think the only method is to use odin to flash either a system.img that is rooted or flash a rooted kernel.

I can push busybox and change its permissions to data/local.. thats something.. :)

adb push busybox /data/local/ && adb shell chmod 4755 /data/local/busybox

---------- Post added at 08:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 PM ----------

I have root! (in recovery)

now to make it pretty so you guys can try it!