[Q] Ouya File Server

Search This thread

kbocek

Jun 14, 2013
Can anyone point me to any kind of file server for the Ouya? CIFS would be ideal but I can handle NFS or FTP too.

I've done my research here and in other forums and am not seeing any clear answer. What I want to do is to be able to remotely copy and delete files to and from the USB key attached to my Ouya.

kbocek

Jun 14, 2013
Why not use ssh for that ?

Okay. I see guides for rooting and installing Busybox. I'm not hugely familiar with Busybox. Does Busybox provide an SSH *server* so I can ssh into the Ouya? I *am* familiar with ssh file transfers on my other servers.

I've seen other requests for an SSH server on the Ouya but no clear answers.

kbocek

Jun 14, 2013

Okay, I thought about that. Early on with my first Android phone I installed a similar app so I could log into my phone from my workstation and play with it. But I'd need to somehow get the APK from Google Play and then sideload it. How do you extract an APK from the store?

Edit:

Actually, searching not too hard turns up things like:

https://code.google.com/p/droidsshd/

And other sshd APK files. But they all do need access to a shell.

Last edited:

kbocek

Jun 14, 2013
Found a solution.

After reading an Ouya review today, the reviewer was all gaga about using AirDroid to manage your Ouya. I had played with this class of "web desktop" apps years ago with my first Android phone. You run the app and then connect to your Android device with your browser. The app gives you a desktop that lets you manipulate your device.

Unfortunately AirDroid is a paid app and costs $1.99 a month. The free version is limited to 100MB of transfers per month which just isn't enough if you're transferring game images for your Ouya emulators.

So instead I found 3CX DroidDesktop which does what I need to do. Here it is on Google Play:

DroidDesktop on Google Play

But of course we can't use Google Play on our Ouya so here is where you can download an APK:

DroidDesktop at android-appstore

Now I thought there used to be a sideloading menu on the Ouya. I guess the last update did away with it. But fortunately the guy who did Mupen64PlusAE (one of the emulators) released FilePwn:

FilePwn on OuyaForum

Which lets you surf the Ouya file system and install packages. Install it through the normal Ouya method. Looks like it's free (as in beer free.)

DroidDesktop isn't a perfect solution. You have to specifically run it when you want to perform file management and the way the Ouya is setup an app takes over the machine and I have no idea how to switch away and do the multitasking I know Android is capable of. But it works and does *not* require rooting. I was able to surf to my USB key and copy and delete files from a Windows workstation.

Edit:
Whoops. FilePwn was *not* released by PaulsCode.com but by littleguy77. Paul just gave him a thumbs-up. My bad.

Last edited:

kbocek

Jun 14, 2013
I like ftpdroid and it runs in the background.

It took me a bit to figure out how to get the APK to sideload FTPDroid. I ended up using APK Extractor:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.sylark.apkextractor&hl=en

on my Nexus 7 to get the file. But now after sideloading when I run FTPDroid, it drops right back to the Ouya menu. I'm having the same issue with ES File Explorer. Both are apps that are supposed to run on the Ouya just fine.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is this some issue running Google Play apps on the Ouya?

topnomi

Apr 22, 2009
Dayton, OH
I use dropbox & copy to get files to the Ouya.

It's a little more roundabout, but i can download files at work, put them in the @ouya folder in copy, then download when i get home.

primo_4c4

Sep 4, 2013
Mexico
I use StockPlus Room that have CIFs support + Mount Manager (free and paid options) and conect to my Time Capsule 3T, and forget the memory limitations on OUYA.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

boydee

Oct 14, 2012
Kampala
Nice skeleton solution!!!
I've used [and am using] the servers ultimate pro
but I'll keep this one as a backup ;)

chadley78

Jan 15, 2013
ES File Explorer

I've tried nearly all the set-ups above but the one I find most reliable uses ES File Explorer. No need for root or anything else.

Sideload ES File Explorer
Open ES File Explorer
Go to Remote Manager, under tools
Go to Settings (for remote manager)
Turn off 'Close on exit'
Set root directory as your external USB drive connected to the OUYA
Exit settings, and turn on WLAN

I then use an Filezilla to transfer all my downloaded files from my Desktop directly to the correct folder locations on the USB drive connected to the OUYA. I get really solid speeds on the transfer between the two devices.

I can then leave the OUYA in XBMC mode, while being able to transfer any downloads very quickly to the USB drive whenever I want.

Note: I found this worked best when OUYA was connected via wi-fi. Ethernet was problematic

tennisbgc

May 27, 2013
I've tried nearly all the set-ups above but the one I find most reliable uses ES File Explorer. No need for root or anything else.

Open ES File Explorer
Turn off 'Close on exit'

I then use an Filezilla to transfer all my downloaded files from my Desktop directly to the correct folder locations on the USB drive connected to the OUYA. I get really solid speeds on the transfer between the two devices.

I can then leave the OUYA in XBMC mode, while being able to transfer any downloads very quickly to the USB drive whenever I want.

Note: I found this worked best when OUYA was connected via wi-fi. Ethernet was problematic
I still prefer ftpdroid cause it launches in the background at startup.

strwase

Dec 26, 2013

Open ES File Explorer
Turn off 'Close on exit'

I've tried this, but the remote manager keeps closing the connection. i've unchecked the 'close on exit' box, but it still closes after a while.
any ideas on what might be causing this?

Top Liked Posts