[KERNEL][Sep14] ElementalX-1.3 | Universal | S2W | DT2W | Android 4.3

Search This thread

superbay

Jun 28, 2010
Wonosari
Definitely a decent kernel. But when i tried it on EOS 3 it bootlooped. Is it because it is intended for EOS 4 or because of i have to wipe cache after flashing?

Craxx

Feb 16, 2005
AW: [KERNEL][Feb16] ElementalX-Xoom-v0.5 | OC | UV | GPU OC | ZRAM | SWEEP2WAKE

Definitely a decent kernel. But when i tried it on EOS 3 it bootlooped. Is it because it is intended for EOS 4 or because of i have to wipe cache after flashing?

I think it is only for eos4;)

best regards
Craxx ;)

Send from my Xoom with Tapatalk HD

notbrodie

Sep 12, 2012
Portland
running dreamcwli's 4.2.2, and it's all butter. can't wait to see how much better it's going to be when elemental-x gets updated!

notbrodie

Sep 12, 2012
Portland
i was using trickster mod, which works great (and can set s2w / zram / gov / io sch). but to consolidate apps, i just use rom toolbox pro. since s2w and zram are enabled by default, i don't need to be able to manipulate those settings

flar2

Recognized Developer
Jun 11, 2012
Southwestern Ontario
elementalx.org
Nope, same as before, 4G icon is grayed-out, never shows it trying to connect. Once I enable airplane mode and then disable it, the 4G signal icon never appears again.

Running Baked v7.

Are there any logs I can provide to help troubleshooting?

If you could, please reboot and then type (in terminal emulator):

dmesg > dmesg.txt

and send me dmesg.txt

I was wondering whether it would work on the older ROMs. Thought maybe it would. Has anyone else tried it?

Last edited:

shpitz461

Aug 25, 2007
Acworth, GA
and send me dmesg.txt

Are these any good?

did reset with original baked kernel
dmesg
boot into recovery
flashed elemx0.5
dmesg

I'm off tomorrow (Monday) so I can be available for testing. I idle on IRC as well, just let me know.

Thanks!!!

Attachments

• dmesg_baked_v7_stingray_baked.txt
    39.2 KB · Views: 5
  • dmesg_baked_v7_stingray_elemx05.txt
    44.9 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: flar2

Winesnob

May 20, 2012
Lorton, VA
Re: [KERNEL][Feb16] ElementalX-Xoom-v0.5 | OC | UV | GPU OC | ZRAM | SWEEP2WAKE

Had to revert back to the original kernel on My Android - everytime I try to clean the screen I end up rebooting the device using power+ vol up. I think all of the edge to edge wiping is locking up the device. An idea for future development would be an option added to Android settings to check or uncheck the sweep2 wake feature.

Other than this, good work and looking forward to the next iterations of keeping the Xoom alive.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Reactions: flar2

superbay

Jun 28, 2010
Wonosari
If you could, please reboot and then type (in terminal emulator):

dmesg > dmesg.txt

and send me dmesg.txt

I was wondering whether it would work on the older ROMs. Thought maybe it would. Has anyone else tried it?

I tried it once again on EOS 3 and this time with wiping but still bootlooping. Too bad. I love the features though.
I didnt know that people would want to upgrade to 4.2.2. The lag is out of comfort zone. Does this kernel reduce the lag significantly?

Last edited:

flar2

Recognized Developer
Jun 11, 2012
Southwestern Ontario
elementalx.org
Are these any good?

did reset with original baked kernel
dmesg
boot into recovery
flashed elemx0.5
dmesg

I'm off tomorrow (Monday) so I can be available for testing. I idle on IRC as well, just let me know.

Thanks!!!

I'm at work today, but I'll have a look at these this week.

Had to revert back to the original kernel on My Android - everytime I try to clean the screen I end up rebooting the device using power+ vol up. I think all of the edge to edge wiping is locking up the device. An idea for future development would be an option added to Android settings to check or uncheck the sweep2 wake feature.

Other than this, good work and looking forward to the next iterations of keeping the Xoom alive.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Good to know, I will have to put some limits on the sweep2wake function to ensure that doesn't happen.

For now, you can disable sweep2wake by setting /sys/android_touch/sweep2wake to 0

To disable:
echo 0 > /sys/android_touch/sweep2wake

To enable:
echo 1 > /sys/android_touch/sweep2wake

This happens in real time, no reboots or anything necessary.

You can also navigate to that file using ES File Explorer (or something like it) and editing that way (less typing;))

I tried it once again on EOS 3 and this time with wiping but still bootlooping. Too bad. I love the features though.
I didnt know that people would want to upgrade to 4.2.2. The lag is out of comfort zone. Does this kernel reduce the lag significantly?

I've only tested this on EOS 4 and My Android, though others have confirmed it works on Baked 7.

Are there many people still using EOS 3? There doesn't seem to be much activity here (only 123 downloads of version 0.5) Someday when I have the time, perhaps I will release versions for EOS3 and CM10.1

notbrodie

Sep 12, 2012
Portland

flar can feel free to correct me, but i'm pretty sure you can't use a kernel built for 4.2.x on a 4.1.x rom.

g-droid

Sep 27, 2010
I think sweep2wake consumes battery in deep standby so is there any possibility to add an option for using volume keys to wake up the device?

Or is this rom related?

g-droid

Sep 27, 2010
Thanks for you quick reply :)

Using the Xoom (on the couch and on my knees ;)) with applied genuine portfolio case it isn't that easy to reach the powerbutton than the volume keys.

I seems that I have to give sweep2wake a try.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    p1811453087.png

Custom kernel for the Motorola Xoom

LATEST RELEASE: ElementalX-Xoom-2.1 (December 10, 2013)

Code:
    * Standard disclaimer: 
    * Your warranty is now void.  Use at your own risk.
    * In other words: It is your choice to use this software,
    * I am not responsible for any damage or problems!

FEATURES:

• compatible with all ROMs, including Android 4.3
    • sweep2wake
    • doubletap2wake
    • Overclock to 1.7GHz
    • user voltage interface
    • GPU overclock
    • OTG support
    • ROW scheduler
    • zRam with Google's snappy compression
    • governors: interactiveX2, smartassv2, intellidemand, lagfree, lionheart
    • NTFS read/write support
    • optional exFAT support
    • battery saving tweaks

DOWNLOAD

Latest version (requires big part mod):

ElementalX-Xoom-2.1

ElementalX-Xoom-2.1-vanilla (no GPU overclock)

Previous version (for those without the bigpart mod)

ElementalX-Xoom-v1.3

ElementalX-Xoom-v1.3_vanilla (no GPU overclock)

Previous versions:
    ElementalX-Xoom-v1.2
    ElementalX-Xoom-v1.2_vanilla (no GPU overclock)
    ElementalX-Xoom-v0.8

ElementalX-Xoom-v0.7:
    Wingray
    Stingray
    Everest
    CM10.1-Wingray
    CM10.1-Stingray
    CM10.1-Everest

ElementalX-Xoom-v0.5-Wingray
    ElementalX-Xoom-v0.5-Stingray
    ElementalX-v0.4: http://goo.gl/fdKEE
    ElementalX-v0.2: http://goo.gl/PD1sx
    ElementalX-v0.1: http://goo.gl/kXvRW

INSTALLATION

Install zip from recovery.

You must have an existing working kernel for the ROM you are using, and you must reflash this kernel whenever you change to a different ROM. The reason is that the universal installer injects the ElementalX kernel into whatever boot.img that is currently installed.

Please hit the Thanks button if you download this

If you really like it, please consider buying me a beer

Actually, I won't spend it on beer. I'm saving it up for my next device :D

dreamcwli for initial kernel source
    TDR, kcrudup, bigrushdog and everyone else who came before me

NOTES:

Compatibility
    Works on all Xoom models: wingray, stingray and everest. As of version 1.0, it should work on any ROM. I have tested it on EOS4, My Android, CM10.1, CM10, Baked BB8 and Orca. It should work on others, including Android 4.3

Versions
    The vanilla version does not overclock the graphics. I recommend using the regular version unless you are specifically having issues due to the overclocked graphics.

Configuration
    The config file is located at /etc/elementalx.conf. You can edit this file to change kernel settings. Whatever is set in this file will take effect when the device is booted. A log file is stored at /data/local/tmp/elementalx.log

Sweep2Wake
    I totally revamped sweep2wake. To put the screen to sleep, you now have to swipe along the edges. You can swipe anywhere to turn the screen on. There is a new option for sweep2sleep only.

0=disabled
    1=sweep2wake/sweep2sleep (default)
    2=sweep2sleep only

/sys/android_touch/sweep2wake

There is also an option called shortsweep (enabled by default) so you don't have to sweep all the way across the screen. You can turn the shortsweep option off.

0=disabled
    1=enabled (default)

/sys/android_touch/shortsweep

Doubletap2wake
    Doubletap2wake is another new feature. You can turn the screen on by double tapping anywhere on the screen.

0=disabled
    1=enabled (default)

/sys/android_touch/doubletap2wake

If you are one of those with sleep of death from sweep2wake, you might want to try sweep2sleep only and doubletap2wake disabled. Then you can still sweep your screen to sleep, but the touch driver acts completely as stock during suspend.

All these options can be changed in /etc/elementalx.conf so they are automatically set at boot.

zRam
    zRam creates a compressed block device in RAM that is used as swap. Although it claims some of your RAM as swap, everything written to swap is compressed. This increases the apparent memory available to the system and helps with multitasking. Swap files on disk are very slow, but with zRam the swap is on RAM so it can be read as quickly as regular memory. Even though the data need to be decompressed, modern CPUs can decompress quicker than if it had to be to read from disk. The penalty is cpu usage, which could drain battery; however, this is likely negligable in daily use. I didn't enable this by default because not everyone will want it. This is for heavy multitaskers and will allow you to quickly switch between more apps and have more tabs open in your browser without refreshes.

zRam is disabled by default. If you want to enable it, edit /etc/elementalx.conf
    change ZRAM=0 to ZRAM=1 and reboot.

You can check if zRam is working by typing the command "free" into the terminal. You should see the total used and free swap. If these are all 0, then zRam is not enabled.

Governors
    Intellidemand is the recommended governor, but there are several to choose from. If your ROM has performance settings, check that your desired governor selected.

Max Screen Off Frequency
    You can toggle max screen off and change the max screen off frequency by editing /etc/elementalx.conf.

If you want to edit the settings directly, the sysfs entries are at /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/screen_off_max_enabled and /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/screen_off_max_freq
    Editing those files doesn't persist after a reboot, if you want the setting to persist, edit /etc/elementalx.conf

If you have instability or reboots while the screen is off, disable max screen off frequency.

exFAT support
    There is also optional support for the exFAT filesystem. A module has to be loaded for it to work, it is not loaded by default. The option to load it at boot is in /etc/elementalx.conf

CHANGELOG:

December 10, 2013 - ElementalX-Xoom-2.1
    -fix power button

December 9, 2013 - ElementalX-Xoom-2.0
    -compatible with bigpart mod
    -adjust doubletap2wake
    -numerous other changes that hopefully make it snappier

September 14, 2013 - ElementalX-Xoom-v1.3
    -redo sweep2wake
    -add doubletap2wake
    -enable selinux
    -optional exFAT support
    -disable max screen off frequency by default

April 11, 2013 - ElementalX-Xoom-v1.2
    -disable MMC deferred resume (thx cyanogenmod team)

April 7, 2013 - ElementalX-Xoom-v1.1
    -fix: boot frequency is max 1000MHz
    -add toggle for max screen off
    -add adjustable max screen off frequency

April 5, 2013 - ElementalX-Xoom-v1.0
    -vanilla version does not overclock graphics (oc version is recommended unless you have problems)
    -s2w: choose 1 or 2 finger sweep
    -s2w: fixed to ensure only single motion is detected
    -add ROW scheduler
    -ROW is now default scheduler
    -automatic process group scheduling
    -added Joe's RCU
    -screen off max frequency of 486MHz
    -cpu1 off when screen is off
    -enable extra CIFS stuff
    -avoid loadavg moire
    -add arm cpu topology
    -universal installer is now fully universal

March 18, 2013 - ElementalX-Xoom-v0.8
    -optimized build -O3 Linaro 4.7.3
    -universal installer

March 11, 2013 - ElementalX-Xoom-v0.7
    -fix nvmap.c warning
    -fix init script (was stalling during boot)

March 10, 2013 - ElementalX-Xoom-v0.6
    -add kernels for all Xoom subtypes
    -add kernels for Cyanogenmod 10.1
    -dual zram
    -add sweep2wake options in /etc/elementalx.conf
    -disable gentle fair sleepers
    -speed up framebuffer copy
    -use glibc memcpy
    -use glibc string
    -optimized ARM rwsem algorithm
    -Makefile optimizations
    -lower transition latency:
    -readahead set to 2048
    -noatime, nodiratime by default
    -switch do_fsync() to fget_light()
    -add /dev/frandom
    -disable preemption in machine_shutdown
    -remove clock sleepable warning
    -Drop GFP_COMP for DMA memory allocations
    -use memory compaction
    -correct check in dev_addr_del()
    -fix 32-bit overflow in get_monotonic_boottime
    -Fix L2X0_AUX_CTRL_WAY_SIZE_MASK
    -enable l2 cache data prefetch
    -update tegra i2c
    -disable preemption when reading CCSIDR
    -use kzalloc instead of kmalloc
    -switch to kzalloc/vzalloc

February 16, 2013 - ElementalX-Xoom-v0.5
    -patched up to dreamwcli's latest source (wifi tether support)
    -added dancedance (credit snuzzo and The Captain)
    -Makefile optimizations

February 12, 2013 - ElementalX-Xoom-v0.4
    -sysfs interface for sweep2wake
    -added governors: interactiveX2, smartassv2, intellidemand, lagfree, lionheart
    -added zRam with Google snappy compression
    -fix init.d support
    -add init script and config file

February 12, 2013 - ElementalX-Xoom-v0.2
    -tweak overclocking and cpufreq driver
    -add GPU overclock
    -add installer
    -increase readahead to 1024MB
    -allow CPU-supported unaligned accesses
    -add NTFS write support

February 11, 2013 - ElementalX-Xoom-v0.1
    -Initial release (beta)
    -based on dreamcwli kernel http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1997434
    -add sweep2wake

Source:
    ElementalX-Xoom
    sweep2wake patch: http://goo.gl/ImX9v

Here's an update. Should work with everything, including Android 4.3.

I totally revamped sweep2wake. To put the screen to sleep, you now have to swipe along the edges. You can swipe anywhere to turn the screen on. There is a new option for sweep2sleep only.

0=disabled
    1=sweep2wake/sweep2sleep (default)
    2=sweep2sleep only

/sys/android_touch/sweep2wake

There is also an option called shortsweep (enabled by default) so you don't have to sweep all the way across the screen. You can turn the shortsweep option off.

0=disabled
    1=enabled (default)

/sys/android_touch/shortsweep

Doubletap2wake is another new feature. You can turn the screen on by double tapping anywhere on the screen.

0=disabled
    1=enabled (default)

/sys/android_touch/doubletap2wake

If you are one of those with sleep of death from sweep2wake, you might want to try sweep2sleep only and doubletap2wake disabled. Then you can still sweep your screen to sleep, but the touch driver acts completely as stock during suspend.

All these options can be changed in /etc/elementalx.conf so they are automatically set at boot.

There is also optional support for the exFAT filesystem. A module has to be loaded for it to work, it is not loaded by default. The option to load it at boot is in /etc/elementalx.conf

Download:
    ElementalX-Xoom-v1.3 *BETA*
    ElementalX-Xoom-v1.3_vanilla *BETA*

Changes:
    -redo sweep2wake
    -add doubletap2wake
    -enable selinux
    -optional exFAT support
    -disable max screen off frequency by default
    These are compatible with the bigpart mod. Don't flash unless you did the bigpart mod!!!

There are lots of other changes too, check github if you're interested. Let me know how this works.

These are BETA, I just built them tonight. They should be fine though.

Download:

ElementalX-Xoom-2.0
    ElementalX-Xoom-2.0-vanilla
    These are compatible with the bigpart mod. Don't flash unless you did the bigpart mod!!!

fixed the power button

Download:

ElementalX-Xoom-2.1
    ElementalX-Xoom-2.1-vanilla
    I've added a working link to the OP for version 1.3

I will do one more update for this kernel with the bigpart mod someday, just need to find the time.