[Q] button combination to force a shutdown

Search This thread

ericbergan

Sep 22, 2007
I must be searching for the wrong things. What is the button combination to force a shutdown on the Note Pro? Thanks.

eric

Serinety

Account currently disabled
Aug 29, 2010
GB
meettomy.site
Press and hold:

Power only - power off
Power + vol up - recovery
Power + vol dn - download mode.

Is this what you are needing?

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Shaderach

ericbergan

Sep 22, 2007
Press and hold:

Power only - power off

Those were what I was expecting. But the power+vol combinations aren't doing anything on mine. It is a Verizon LTE version, but I wouldn't think that would make a difference?

muzzy996

Feb 4, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii
They should work . . . best way IMO is to just do a shutdown from within the OS, then while the tablet's off press and hold a vol/home combo prior to pressing and holding the power button. Once the model number splash screen appears let go of power first while holding the other two . . hold the other two for a second or so and then let go.

ericbergan

Sep 22, 2007
They should work . . . best way IMO is to just do a shutdown from within the OS, then while the tablet's off press and hold a vol/home combo prior to pressing and holding the power button. Once the model number splash screen appears let go of power first while holding the other two . . hold the other two for a second or so and then let go.

Ok, this is really silly, but I don't find any way from the Note Pro's OS to do a power down, other than the popup from holding the power button?

(Sorry, bit of background, this all started from a problem that my power button was only working to wake the tablet, but after that, had no effect whatsoever. After mucho playing, for no apparent reason, finally the popup menu came up, I did a restart, and it's been 100% since than. But it has left me worried how to do a shutdown if the power button isn't working. No pulling the batteries on these things.)

eric

muzzy996

Feb 4, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii
Ok, this is really silly, but I don't find any way from the Note Pro's OS to do a power down, other than the popup from holding the power button?

Correct, when booted into android OS a momentary holding of the power button will bring up the power menu one option within which will be to power off. This is typical of many android devices.

Are you sure your power button is operating normally?

I have read elsewhere of a user having issue with his power button not feeling right (less travel than anticipated without much tactile feedback when depressed indicating possible defect).

I would like to add for clarity that there is no force shutdown via hardware button, only force reboot. Holding power down for several seconds will force a full reboot. Holding it down briefly to get the power menu gets the power off option in the menu to fully turn the tablet off. If your tablet reboots after this option is chosen then something is wrong.

Last edited:

ericbergan

Sep 22, 2007
Are you sure your power button is operating normally?

No, because after returning to working fine yesterday it is acting up again. Not a hardware problem - if the tablet is off, the button will always work to wake it up. But once again, it is now not being responded to when the tablet is awake - either a quick push, a long push, or in combination with the other buttons.

It seems like this is a software problem, either driver or app, since mechanically the button works every time to wake up the tablet. And, of course, I can't do a shutdown or reboot to see if that clears it, because its not responding to the power button. Can't remap the power button because no root available on the Verizon LTE model. Frustrating.

eric

muzzy996

Feb 4, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii
I would take it back to Verizon. IMO software shouldn't interfere with a long depress forcing a reboot. That function is fundamental. This still sounds to me like a possible hardware issue where a long press is not identified as such (intermittent connection in the button).

ericbergan

Sep 22, 2007
I would take it back to Verizon. IMO software shouldn't interfere with a long depress forcing a reboot. That function is fundamental. This still sounds to me like a possible hardware issue where a long press is not identified as such (intermittent connection in the button).

But a short press also doesn't work when the tablet is on, but does work when the tablet is off. But then it clears up, and always works properly for awhile.

Unfortunately, unlike phones, taking out the battery isn't an alternative option...

muzzy996

Feb 4, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii
I dunno what to tell you. Without root I don't see how any software you have installed on the tablet would have changed anything, and without the ability to get into download mode I'm not sure there's a way for you to do a factory reset that will fix the issue (if it is indeed a software one). I hope someone else chimes in that can help. My suggestion to take it in to Verizon still stands though.

Good luck!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Press and hold:

Power only - power off