Motoactv

Search This thread

BigNas76

Mar 9, 2011
Just curious if anyone is willing to tackle this little gagdet. It needs some fine tuning and possibly a voodoo sound app would be awesome. It lacks the loudness like most android phones.

Reactions: kognos

The-Captain

Retired Forum Moderator / Inactive Themer
May 18, 2011
It looks interesting, but I would not personally buy it. It does not have enough features for me to use it over my phone.

Sent from my XT862 using XDA App

Last edited:

BigNas76

Mar 9, 2011
Well I purchased one and with the help of the other thread about the apk i was able to sync to my epic with all features including the calls/missed calls and acuweather. This was with the corded headset. I have no real reason to get the wireless. The only real problem that i have right now is the sound level of the player. Its very frustrating to have to use a program to up the db level in every song i put on it. It running some kind of android platform so someone has to have some ideas.

southernsontn

Nov 17, 2011
Well, it looks like someone has listened... I didn't see a thread anywhere else, so I'll post it here, some one has rooted the motoactv. the story, along with a link to a how to is available, just google it. I was gonna post a link, but I can't.

Reactions: dev_null

dragon_76

Apr 21, 2007
Chicago, IL
The Motoactv runs gingerbread. CWM has gained root on it and installed Google apps. It has a decent chip and ram for a small device. The bootloader isn't locked. More and more smart watches and wearable computers will be coming out. I'd like to see a custom launcher for this size screen as QCIF+ ain't exactly great for a lot of launchers. A custom rom that remapped the hardware buttons would be nice as well.

Cheers,
-M
XDA member since 2007

Reactions: cleblanc92

rdavidowski

Dec 14, 2011
San Juan, PR
Hi People

I just rooted the MotoACTV with the tutorial provided by Wade, the guy that rooted the watch. But I am having problems installing the ggole apps on it. The guide does not explain very well how to install the gogle apps. I managed to install several apk via adb commands and they work ok. But I am missing the market and every default google ape. Can someone explain how to do this? I already downloaded google apps zip file from cynogen web page.

dragon_76

Apr 21, 2007
Chicago, IL
Hi People

I just rooted the MotoACTV with the tutorial provided by Wade, the guy that rooted the watch. But I am having problems installing the ggole apps on it. The guide does not explain very well how to install the gogle apps. I managed to install several apk via adb commands and they work ok. But I am missing the market and every default google ape. Can someone explain how to do this? I already downloaded google apps zip file from cynogen web page.

There are libraries in the unzipped file that need to be installed with the adb push command to get maps to work. The market needs a bunch of crap to work. You should push all the apk (except car home if you don't want it) once you have those over, restart and you download the rest of the apps from market.

Cheers,
-M
XDA member since 2007

Reactions: reggiexp

bandzdaddy

Feb 18, 2011
This sounds intriguing can you run RunKeeper on the rooted device. I have the motoactv and love it for running but RunKeeper in my opinion is the best running app. Im anxious to hear more about this.

rdavidowski

Dec 14, 2011
San Juan, PR
Thanks Dragon, but one more question before I keep trying this market stuff. Do I do the adb push command to the same exact directories as the zip has. Like for example: the zip file that I downloaded was for CM7 and it includes a lot more directories than simply the app directory. Do I have to push every single directory the zip has and create the ones that are missing within the watch. Can you please explain more in detail if possible. Thanks again for the help as this is the only thing I am missing from this "the market".

dragon_76

Apr 21, 2007
Chicago, IL
Do I have to push every single directory the zip has and create the ones that are missing within the watch. Can you please explain more in detail if possible. Thanks again for the help as this is the only thing I am missing from this "the market".

So, once unzipped you will see "META-INF" and "system" folders.
Inside "system" you will see:
app
etc
framework
lib

inside "app" you will see:
*CarHomeGoogle.apk
*FOTAKill.apk
GenieWidget.apk
Google Maps 5.12.0.apk
GoogleBackupTransport.apk
GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk
GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk
GoogleFeedback.apk
GooglePartnerSetup.apk
GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk
GoogleServicesFramework.apk
*LatinImeTutorial.apk
MarketUpdater.apk
MediaUploader.apk
NetworkLocation.apk
OneTimeInitializer.apk
*Talk.apk
Vending.apk

(*not really needed on MotoACTV but won't hurt to install)

I am doing this from a Mac using terminal, it has been a richard year since I have used CLI with windows but for Linux the commands will be the same ("dragon$" is just my terminal prompt).

dragon$ adb push ~/Desktop/gapps/system/app/Vending.apk /system/app

dragon$ adb push ~/Desktop/gapps/system/etc/permissions/features.xml /system/etc/permissions/

So, you see I have pushed the files to the corresponding directories that the files are found in the unzipped folders.

I cannot remember if adb push defaults to parent owner and permissions but if not you will have to change them to root/root and RW-R--R--

Last edited:

ldrn

Apr 23, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I followed CMW's guide to root mine, too.

I'd like to see a custom launcher for this size screen as QCIF+ ain't exactly great for a lot of launchers. A custom rom that remapped the hardware buttons would be nice as well.

A full custom would be great (but not needed for remapping hardware keys); Motorola's UI is really quite nice for the screen size, but won't show custom apps. Instead of the fake Honeycomb one, I prefer to use Zeam (with the launcher and grid set to 3x3 icons) -- I just think it works much better, without overlapping icons and so on.

To get a shortcut to the wifi access point settings in zeam, press and hold in a blank area, and go to "add", then "shortcuts", then "settings", then "settings" again. This "settings" is the hidden wifi one.

I also remapped "Start" to menu fairly easily by modifying they G2-keypad.kl file under keylayout; nosit1 was able to do the same with music to home. The people in #motoactv on freenode.net are very helpful, including CMW.

More information on that:
/system/usr/keylayout/G2-keypad.kl
Change this line:
key 220 FITNESS WAKE_DROPPED
to this:
key 220 MENU WAKE_DROPPED

On a separate note, you'll want to backup your userdata partition, too. Otherwise, it can get corrupted and make the file loop at the motorola logo:
dd if=/dev/block/userdata of=/sdcard/userdata.img bs=1024
adb pull /sdcard/userdata.img userdata.img

Even when restoring that, there are a ton of force closes from com.motorola.gault.activity; you have to get past them to a custom launcher to factory reset.

MinionOfEckerd

Nov 9, 2007
@dragon_76

Does anything need to be done with the META_INF folder? I'm attempting to get Market working on my Motoactv but I'm still getting a Google Services Framework force close. I pushed over the gapps from CM6 (the ones under HDPI). Not sure if those were the right ones.

I think I need to factory reset and start over from the beginning. :/

dragon_76

Apr 21, 2007
Chicago, IL
@dragon_76

Does anything need to be done with the META_INF folder? I'm attempting to get Market working on my Motoactv but I'm still getting a Google Services Framework force close. I pushed over the gapps from CM6 (the ones under HDPI). Not sure if those were the right ones.

I think I need to factory reset and start over from the beginning. :/

No, that folder is for recovery mode installers.

Amazon app store works perfectly if you can't get Market to work. It takes a fair amount of trial and error with apps to find ones that are functional.

I can't recommend enough installing grafitti pro. I have it from Amazon FAOTD.

I have superuser.apk installed and I had to push my preferences from /data/data/ on my phone to my watch so as to autorespond "yes" to root requests and no notifications because the UI is a fixed size window.

After doing that I installed button saviour and my purchased key for the pro features to have only home and menu onscreen. (Button saviour needs root permission).

I use golauncher ex with 3x3 home screen and the notification bar hidden. I wish I could remove the dock but oh well.

Android is going into more types of devices, I wish Google would push scalable graphics. I am however very impressed with the amount of apps that work usably on a QCIF+ screen (Netflix!)

I also like the main launcher and if I could access an app like AltDrawer from it I would not have another home replacement installed. I will tear apart Launcher2.apk soon and see if there is a way to customize it.

Sent from my MB860 using xda premium

Reactions: MinionOfEckerd

moonzbabysh

Jul 17, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Okay so last night I attempted to root my motoactv but my adb for some reason say it cannot load the root.img, I had the same problem where it's couldn't load the recovery.img for my photon when attempting to apply CWM or twerp recovery. Fastboot devices definitely sees both my devices (no I didn't do them are same time, and the files needed are in the same file location as instructed) and I can even Fastboot reboot and have that work. Any ideas or suggestions?? Any help would be appreciated.

dragon_76

Apr 21, 2007
Chicago, IL
Okay so last night I attempted to root my motoactv but my adb for some reason say it cannot load the root.img, I had the same problem where it's couldn't load the recovery.img for my photon when attempting to apply CWM or twerp recovery. Fastboot devices definitely sees both my devices (no I didn't do them are same time, and the files needed are in the same file location as instructed) and I can even Fastboot reboot and have that work. Any ideas or suggestions?? Any help would be appreciated.

Try downloading a new root image. Also try switching USB ports.

Reactions: moonzbabysh

MinionOfEckerd

Nov 9, 2007
No, that folder is for recovery mode installers.

I have superuser.apk installed and I had to push my preferences from /data/data/ on my phone to my watch so as to autorespond "yes" to root requests and no notifications because the UI is a fixed size window.

After doing that I installed button saviour and my purchased key for the pro features to have only home and menu onscreen. (Button saviour needs root permission).

I use golauncher ex with 3x3 home screen and the notification bar hidden. I wish I could remove the dock but oh well.

I also like the main launcher and if I could access an app like AltDrawer from it I would not have another home replacement installed. I will tear apart Launcher2.apk soon and see if there is a way to customize it.

Thanks, wasn't sure about the META-INF folder. Going to try installing button saviour. How did you "push" preferences from your phone to the watch? I have root/su on my Xperia Play so I should have the files there to push?

Did you personally get the Google Apps working?

EDIT: Everything is forceclosing on me. :/ Installed the Stock Browser from my XP but that's forceclosing as well. Attempted to change the permissions of the applications but either it didn't work or it didn't help.

Last edited:

ldrn

Apr 23, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I couldn't figure out how to push preferences, but I was able to tell Superuser to allow all apps after remapping Start to Menu, then just doing Superuser > Menu > preferences. You could always do this to get Superuser working, get Button Savior working, and then revert it back.

(I made a step by step on Pastebin, but if you use Oneroot, it might do all this for you: http://pastebin.com/AZRemesV )

MinionOfEckerd

Nov 9, 2007
I couldn't figure out how to push preferences, but I was able to tell Superuser to allow all apps after remapping Start to Menu, then just doing Superuser > Menu > preferences. You could always do this to get Superuser working, get Button Savior working, and then revert it back.

(I made a step by step on Pastebin, but if you use Oneroot, it might do all this for you: http://pastebin.com/AZRemesV )

Thanks a lot. Just did a factory reset, figure I'll start from scratch. Did you get the Google Apps working after Superuser was configured? What Browser are you using? (Dolphin was forceclosing for me every time I went to type.)

EDIT: Got Superuser working, did the keyboard hack to make Start=Menu. Anybody know what button Music is mapped to in the configuration?

Going to fiddle around some more w/ Google Apps. Anybody have a walkthrough of installing the apps? IE Which ones you must do, don't have to do and what to do to get it working. :D

EDIT: It was WAKEkey 378. It was set to "MEDIA" so I changed it to "HOME". Works perfectly! :D

Last edited:

ts937km

May 7, 2007
Hanging at the Red Moto Logo

Followed the instructions and had it working rooted, etc. Was going to change out the launcher. And obviously did something wrong. Now it just just hangs at the Red Moto logo. Can get it to power off and can still get it to the fastboot mode. Have tried reflashing the system and userdata, wiping the user data, etc. Any suggestion on what to try next?

nosit1

May 19, 2010
Arizona
Followed the instructions and had it working rooted, etc. Was going to change out the launcher. And obviously did something wrong. Now it just just hangs at the Red Moto logo. Can get it to power off and can still get it to the fastboot mode. Have tried reflashing the system and userdata, wiping the user data, etc. Any suggestion on what to try next?

Join our IRC at irc.freenode.com #motoactv

We have been working on this for a while. We are planning on working on a thread for this.

Currently I have Spotify and Sportstrack Pro running well. I'll start to compile a list of working applications.

If you're stuck in a boot loop, you'll need the userdata partition image. I'll edit my post with it once I'm on my computer.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CWMR ported

Hello,

I have ported CWMR 5.0.2.7 to the Motoactv (F100) device.

actvcmwr.png

Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    */

The procedure for this is as follows. You MUST have working adb knowledge to use this and you must be able to restore using the available tool should any problems arise. This is considered an ALPHA release that may need additional work. I did not have access to the device during the port so all testing was done through TheEndGame7. THERE MAY BE ISSUES, you are warned.

1) Download this file: CWMR5x_F100_recoveryA.img
    2) adb push CWMR5x_F100_recoveryA.img /data/local/
    3) adb shell (become root)
    4) dd if=/data/local/CWMR5x_F100_recoveryA.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk1p13
    5) exit adb from the device
    6) adb reboot recovery (you should be in CWMR now)

The source for the device config is here. Please feel free to go wild with development on this because I do not have the device and likely won't be contributing much more except bug fixes. If you use this source, please give credit where it's due.

NOTE: there are missing images(known). This is because the ramdisk is EXTREMELY finicky on this device and it WILL NOT BOOT past 3.66mb in size. I trimmed out things that weren't needed in order to make this work. The basic functionality you need should be there. adb is also not functioning properly yet within recovery.

ramdisk config:
    https://github.com/utkanos/android_motorola_F100_initrd

device config:
    https://github.com/utkanos/android_device_motorola_F100

credits:
    koush for cwmr.
    TheEndGame7 for being my testing guinea pig.
    hashcode for some helpful insight.
    MotoACTV Easy Modder v0.1

Post removed, see below.
    Well, it was a *****, but here is build 2, moving to Beta at this point in 'Moto red' by request of TEG.

ayu6vRFV

There is 1 lingering issue: usb support in recovery. It is a bastard, going to really have to tear this thing apart to debug why. Right now, recovery can backup, restore, wipe, flash roms, etc. All the stuff you're used to working, now does. I fixed images by shrinking the kernel to fit more stuff in here. You should no longer get any weird image errors. I bumped you up to 5.0.2.8 source as well.

Flash this file the same as before via adb and dd.
    CWMR5x_F100_recoveryB.img

adb push CWMR5x_F100_recoveryB.img /data/local/
    adb shell
    # dd if=/data/local/CWMR5x_F100_recoveryB.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk1p13
    # exit
    adb reboot recovery

Some additional notes I'd like to share that might help you as you mess with this device now that I've played with one.

1) NEVER use adb reboot bootloader for any reason. You get stuck in a ****tily programmed loop of hell. The way out of this loop is by following these instructions:

a) hold START, POWER, VOL UP, VOL DOWN together for 10 seconds at least. You should see the screen flicker on and off twice.
    b) plug in the USB cable to turn device on
    c) you should boot back to rom, if not, do it again. It's touchy.

2) The 'soft' reset is done by START + POWER for 5 seconds.

Enjoy. Source is updated. This will likely be the last update unless I get adb working.

Credits: koush for cwmr
    TheEndGame7 for providing a device
    ClearD for files
    Attached is the latest copy of my MotoACTV Easy Modder v1.0. This is a MAJOR upgrade! Adds numerous features and completely revises how backups are stored on the computer. Need to use 7zip to extract it, wouldn't let me upload that big of a .zip file.

To make this version see your old backups, open your IMGs folder, make a new folder (no spaces), drag all your old .img files into it.

ChangeLog:
    v1.0 Updated 1/16/12
    - Redesigned GUI
    - Integrated SuperOneClick (Very basic at the moment)
    - Backup (Boot, Recovery, System, Cache, Userdata, All)
    - Restore (Boot, Recovery, System, Cache, Userdata, All)
    - Added more Button Remaps (21 configurations)
    - Run Custom ADB commands
    - Run Custom Fastboot commands

v0.8 Updated 1/12/12
    - Fixed a few errors
    - Made ADB pause until a device is detected before continuing
    - New method of button remapping (DELETE "Keypads" folder from previous version)
    - Cleaned code

v0.6 Updated 01/09/12
    - Backup
    - Now supports multiple images
    - Restore / Flash
    - Flash Custom Boot.img
    - Implemented Userdata Restore
    - Implemented System and Userdata Restore
    - Mods
    - Install Custom APKs
    - Tools
    - Remount filesystem as Read/Write
    - Modified "Clean '/system/app'"

v0.1 Initial Release
    - Backup (System.img and Userdata.img)
    - Restore (System.img and Userdata.img)
    - Remap Buttons (7 different configurations)
    - Install Launcher (Honeycomb and Zeam)
    - Replace Stock PackageInstaller.apk with one from CyanogenMod
    - Remove MotoCRAP (Strip '/system/app')
    - Restart MotoACTV
    - Stop ADB (Enables MotoSync and Mass Storage)

Future Plans:
    - Market Installer
    - Port scripts to *nix and Mac

Screenshots:
    http://xdaforums.com/album.php?albumid=5789

Download:
    Newer version posted later in thread. Page 55.
    Working on an All-in-One batch file with an easy to use menu to try and make the alleviate some problems people are having so that the IRC can be used more for development progress and creative ideas rather than support.

Features:
    - Backup (system.img and userdata.img)
    - Restore (system.img and userdata.img)
    - Install Launcher (Honeycomb and Zeam)
    - Replace PackageInstaller.apk
    - Remap Buttons (7 configurations)
    - Restart
    - Stop ADB (Enables MotoSync and Mass Storage)

Attached are a few screenshots. Let me know if there is anything else I should include.