Make your own cables

Search This thread

ericlmccormick

Feb 20, 2009
Columbia
So far I have learned how to make a USB host cable and a universal charging cable. I have shared this in a few post but I figured it would be good to have them all in one place with a diagram.

I will update this drawing as I learn how to build the other cables.

Thanks goes out to pokey9000 for sharing how to do the USB host and nudging me the right way for figuring out the charging!

Update:
I guess the titles of each is not enough to properly relay what each does so here is a quick description of each.
1. USB Host - Puts the Tab into host mode so that you can use items like thumb drives and keyboards. If you want to use a USB powered hard drive, you will need to use a powered hub.
2. USB Host w/ Power - Puts the Tab into host mode but also allows you to charge the unit at the same time.
3. Universal Charging - For making a 30-pin cable that will let you charge your Tab off any 5V source so that you don't get the red X over the battery. When doing this, data transfers will not work.
4. Universal Charging Inline cable - For if you don't want to buy a 30pin connector or cut up your OEM cable, you can put this in line with your OEM cable and use any 5V source.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:

used2hvatreo

Jun 26, 2008
Houston
So far I have learned how to make a USB host cable and a universal charging cable. I have shared this in a few post but I figured it would be good to have them all in one place with a diagram.

Thanks goes out to pokey9000 for sharing how to do the USB host and nudging me the right way for figuring out the charging!

tabletcables.jpg

Image link is broken, and I'm crazy interested in this. Can't wait to see it when its up. Good Job man

ericlmccormick

Feb 20, 2009
Columbia
do you have a picture of a real example of the USB host w/power

Not yet. I haven't built the USB host cable myself as my connectors are in the mail. I built that diagram from a mixture of what pokey9000 discovered plus what the pin outs are for the OEM cable.

Hopefully by the end of the week I will get the connector and will build this into a project enclosure which will also have a switch to change this between charge only, USB slave and USB host.

ericlmccormick

Feb 20, 2009
Columbia
Cool. Seems like it would be easier to just grab a few of these cables, cut the cable and connect rather than soldering to the naked connectors from Kineteka.

Mostly likely, like the OEM cable, the connector is not fully populated. You would be able to easily make a charge only cable the will charge off anything, but to do other things like USB hosting, you need another pin, or rearrange the pins that are there which are probably a pain to do too.

dwa012

Jan 26, 2008
I had a brain fart.

I know what the usb host w/ power cable would look like. I have parts orderd for the host mode configuration. I hopefully await a hdmi/usb-host cable.

snaai8

May 31, 2009
First off, thanks for this awesome discovery ! ;)

But I've still got some questions..
what is the difference between the usb host and the usb host w. charging?
And what should the universal charger do?
Thanks!

ericlmccormick

Feb 20, 2009
Columbia
First off, thanks for this awesome discovery ! ;)

But I've still got some questions..
what is the difference between the usb host and the usb host w. charging?
And what should the universal charger do?
Thanks!

The USB host should be pretty much the same as the OEM dongle. The host with power should allow you to charge the unit when also attached to a power supply. I have not tested this but I expect should work without a problem. The reason people might just opt to not have the power is to make a smaller package.

The universal charge cable puts the unit into charge mode no matter what your 5VDC power source is. Without this, you must use the OEM charger (or aftermarket adapter) else get a red X over the battery.

jeffcrilly

May 17, 2011
Anyone know if it would be possible to hack a USB port into the multimedia-dock? It has the 30pin male and female.. probably passthru.. I've yet to take it apart (I suspect there are screws on the bottom). Anyhow I figure the dock should work with the USB adapter, so maybe all the wires are there inside the base. Then it would just be a matter of adding a female USB (with appropriate resistor). And possibly this would allow charging, audio, etc WITH USB attached. Best part is that multimedia docks are available at local bestbuy, etc.

alternatively, i'm considering a keyboard <sigh>.. but only if usb host mode works with it.

-jeff

cleblanc92

Jun 13, 2007
Anyone know if it would be possible to hack a USB port into the multimedia-dock? It has the 30pin male and female.. probably passthru.. I've yet to take it apart (I suspect there are screws on the bottom). Anyhow I figure the dock should work with the USB adapter, so maybe all the wires are there inside the base. Then it would just be a matter of adding a female USB (with appropriate resistor). And possibly this would allow charging, audio, etc WITH USB attached. Best part is that multimedia docks are available at local bestbuy, etc.

alternatively, i'm considering a keyboard <sigh>.. but only if usb host mode works with it.

-jeff

I have the dock and like this idea...I will check out it's assembly in a bit and reply back.

Last edited:

cleblanc92

Jun 13, 2007
UPDATE: YUP (4) philips screws under the pad on the bottom. Will try to get a pic posted.[/QUOTE]

guts attached...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 2,116
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 1,884

cleblanc92

Jun 13, 2007
This dock is suppose to allow either the HDMI or the USB connector to plug in the back so that means it does pass all this through. This is going to be interesting....

snaai8

May 31, 2009
okay a few questions again..

Would it be hard to make a usb keyboard work on the tab (like cutting up the usb cable and replacing it with a 30pin dock connector?)?

And how much effort would it take to create a hdmi out? or a normal video out if possible..? Because I actually need an old video out port but on the samsung site is says that the video out represented is not compatible with the 10.1..

and where do you solder everything on? I've yet to find a picture of the 30pin connector which tells you where to solder..
Where would I solder in this image? http://shop.kineteka.com/images/thumbs/0000564.jpeg
Or should I just get a tab-out like this:
http://shop.kineteka.com/products/200-samsung-tabbreakout.aspx

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Update:
    I guess the titles of each is not enough to properly relay what each does so here is a quick description of each.
    1. USB Host - Puts the Tab into host mode so that you can use items like thumb drives and keyboards. If you want to use a USB powered hard drive, you will need to use a powered hub.
    2. USB Host w/ Power - Puts the Tab into host mode but also allows you to charge the unit at the same time.
    3. Universal Charging - For making a 30-pin cable that will let you charge your Tab off any 5V source so that you don't get the red X over the battery. When doing this, data transfers will not work.
    4. Universal Charging Inline cable - For if you don't want to buy a 30pin connector or cut up your OEM cable, you can put this in line with your OEM cable and use any 5V source.

It is my first time linking a picture which you can't just upload, you need to link to an existing online photo.

I think I fixed the problem use ImageShack but if you still have issues viewing, use the below link

GT Cable layouts
    okay a few questions again..

Would it be hard to make a usb keyboard work on the tab (like cutting up the usb cable and replacing it with a 30pin dock connector?)?

And how much effort would it take to create a hdmi out? or a normal video out if possible..? Because I actually need an old video out port but on the samsung site is says that the video out represented is not compatible with the 10.1..

and where do you solder everything on? I've yet to find a picture of the 30pin connector which tells you where to solder..
    Where would I solder in this image? http://shop.kineteka.com/images/thumbs/0000564.jpeg
    Or should I just get a tab-out like this:
    http://shop.kineteka.com/products/200-samsung-tabbreakout.aspx

If you want to take a USB keyboard and make it work, the easiest thing for a beginner would be to get the tab breakout connector and then solder the wires as shown in the diagram. If you don't have a female connector, you can cut off the male connector from the keyboard and just match up the colors.
    Only get the other connector if you have a way to ohm out the pins so you know what is what, have a good soldering iron with a fine tip, and also have a steady hand. I got my connectors in the mail last night and I can probably take a picture and specify the pin layout if you like.

As for the HDMI, I am not sure yet. Seems like either no one has an adapter or if they do, don't want to share what the insides look like. For the older tab, it had one pin for standard video, but HDMI has 19 pins so either a lot of pins on the 30pin connector get reassigned in some way, or there might be some type of chip that does the conversion. I don't know enough about HDMI to make a proper assessment at this point. I hope someone with an actual adapter will chime in soon.
    From a portable battery, like one of those from Zagg, that supply 1A.

Not a good idea. Those Y cables just short together the 5V from both plugs, assuming they come from different USB jacks on the same PC and so the same power supply. If you do this with the Tab and a USB battery pack, the battery will feed power into the Tab's USB host power supply when it turns off in sleep mode.
    I'm going to create these boards and order them so if they work i can just share it with the community. You guys won't have to do anything besides install the parts or something.