Why root 2013 nexus 7?

Search This thread

brenty108

Jan 12, 2011
santa flora
Thanks for all the support but I suppose what would make me root before I even finish this post is if I could flash window 8 on it or even RT. Maybe not RT but you get the point; it must be something really appealing more than just flashing ROMs for fun, some nice big tweaks here and there, trying different OEM skins and squeezing some battery life out of it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

fluidj

Sep 25, 2006
Thanks for all the support but I suppose what would make me root before I even finish this post is if I could flash window 8 on it or even RT. Maybe not RT but you get the point; it must be something really appealing more than just flashing ROMs for fun, some nice big tweaks here and there, trying different OEM skins and squeezing some battery life out of it.

Having just returned a Dell Venue 8 Pro in favor of the Nexus 7.....trust me when I say Android is the better interface...especially in this size and form factor.

Go ahead and root, you'll eventually discover the many things it opens up for you.

For instance, I have several AirPlay speakers throughout my house, rooting the Nexus 7 allowed me to run apps that could communicate and stream to the AirPlay devices easily.

brenty108

Jan 12, 2011
santa flora
Rooted it today and so far happy with it. I did not install and custom recovery or kernel. I like things as close to stock as possible. Main reasons for rooting involved otg and screen recording without the PC. Thanks for the notch.

Bizius

Account currently disabled
Sep 27, 2012
Rooted it today and so far happy with it. I did not install and custom recovery or kernel. I like things as close to stock as possible. Main reasons for rooting involved otg and screen recording without the PC. Thanks for the notch.

Have you rooted with KitKat 4.4.2 installed?

Which type of tool have you used?

oldsoldier2003

Jun 30, 2012
Eldorado
You don't need any tools. Just unlock the bootloader and install supersu. Nexus devices are made to be developer friendly.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app

vince2008

Dec 1, 2011
rooted for speed boost and custom recovery with stock ROM and you get this results..

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-02-16-14-14-45.png
    Screenshot_2014-02-16-14-14-45.png
    202.6 KB · Views: 105
  • Screenshot_2014-02-16-14-14-49.png
    Screenshot_2014-02-16-14-14-49.png
    147.2 KB · Views: 106
  • Screenshot_2014-02-14-22-05-51.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-02-14-22-05-51.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

averagegeek

Feb 12, 2014
Trivandrum
Xiaomi Poco X3 NFC
Yeah I did. It was very easy.

Wugfresh Nexus Root Toolkit is one of the easiest tool to root Nexus devices. It covers all functionality you needed in handling your Nexus devices. If you are a newbie, just follow qbking77 tutorial for using NRT.
Rooting helps so much than screen recording.

1.Installing a Custom recovery is so much useful in making nandroid backups (like system image in windows backups), so that if you ever need to factory reset, just restore from a nandroid backup. You don't have to sign in, reinstall any apps.

2. Titanium backup is one of the best backup app of Android & help to backup individual apps.

3.Greenify which help to save the battery.

4.Custom Roms like cyanogenmod & custom kernels like franco, faux kernels etc.

5. Xposed Framework & modules

Rooting opens the true power of Android & much more..

Thank me if you find it useful.

Nexus 7 (2013) with stock AOSP ROM(4.4.2), FRANCO Kernel (r12)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Mainly to satisfy the tweaking itch. For me, it's compulsive on Android devices nowadays. Some of the big reasons include:

• AFWall+
    • AdAway
    • Greenify
    • Nandroid backups
    • Custom ROMs
    • Custom kernels
    • OpenPDroid
    • Backup of SMS/MMS & apps
    • Xposed
    I built on @locusto03's list:

• AFWall+ (privacy, security)
    • AdAway (ad IP list blocker)
    • Greenify (memory optimization, performance, battery savings)
    • Nandroid backups
    • Custom ROMs
    • Custom kernels (allow you to over/under clock, etc according to your performance and battery preferences, network speed preferences, GPU preferences, etc. One of my favorite performance tweaks allows users to under-charge the battery slightly, thereby extending its lifetime).
    • OpenPDroid (privacy tweak)
    • Backup of SMS/MMS & apps
    • Xposed (unlocks a veritable smorgasbord of nifty interface enhancements, etc)
    • + Xprivacy
    • + PimpMyRom (many performance tuning enhancements)
    • + Multiboot (ability to boot into distinctly different environments/roms - you could make your stock rom your main and install a custom rom, as well. Just read the about it 1st).
    • + dSploit (pen testing)
    • + WifiKill (look it up)
    • + SecDroid (added security)
    • + Ability to remove bloatware (Titanium Backup)
    Look I've been around xda for a long time and am not stranger to root, hacking modding whatever. But this is the first nexus device I've own so the newest android OS is not a problem at least for now. And to boot this little guy is a beast with wings! So even performance is no problem. And also I made sure to buy one long after the reports of touch screen problems so I don't have no issues. So without any insults and cyber bullying kindly give your take on the matter. What the benefits at this point?

AdAway is worth it alone
    Look I've been around xda for a long time and am not stranger to root, hacking modding whatever. But this is the first nexus device I've own so the newest android OS is not a problem at least for now. And to boot this little guy is a beast with wings! So even performance is no problem. And also I made sure to buy one long after the reports of touch screen problems so I don't have no issues. So without any insults and cyber bullying kindly give your take on the matter. What the benefits at this point?

Faster ROMS, custom kernels for speed and battery save. As mentioned Ada way is great. Kicking system apps I don't need or use.

That said, even if for some reason some device came perfect I would still root because I can.

Sent from my Nexus 7 Flo running Odex SinLess ROM 4.4.2 with ElementalX kernel using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    What's the most up to date rooting method that is compatible with KitKat? The anchored post for rooting seems to be outdated now.
    I need root for Airplay compatibility.

Zedomax. It's an older hack, but if you go through the steps very carefully, one at a time, and be sure to follow the instructions on the video to a T then it's good. I just used it yesterday on a 2013 Nexus 7.