[MOD] DL30 Data Throttle Remover

Search This thread

chuck670

Oct 16, 2010
this seems to work just fine. i was experiencing some moderate data throttling, but after applying this patch it seems to be gone because my connection is about 10x faster now! :) thanks

imnuts

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2007
West Chester
www.imnuts.org
Is verizon allowed to throttle our data if we did not sign a new contract stating they can? I am curious about this, it seems very deceitful.

I'm sure it's in your contract that they can manage their network appropriately to maintain an optimal user experience for all parties. Meaning, they can do whatever they want with your up/down speeds basically, as long as you still have data service.

Syn Ack

Jan 20, 2011
Atlanta
Can I give someone my EB01 services.jar and they can tweak this jar file to remove the data throttle? I'd love to spend some time figuring out how to decompile jar files and editing them and recompiling but I've got way too much on my plate right now. I would greatly appreciate this. It would also benefit the folks who are using my theme.

GizmoDroid

May 14, 2010
Does someone mind posting a version for EB01 please?
Stock EB01?

Otherwise, if you are running any custom EB01 based roms, all of the ones I'm aware of have already removed these class files.

This throttling thing is way misunderstood by most folks anyway. Not flaming anyone by saying this, but this mod is a pretty sloppy removal of something that isn't actually doing anything anyway.

It's not a secret service that runs in the background, slowing down your internet. It's in the AOSP too, so it's not some sneaky, ninja application that is stealin' yo bits. If you look through the code, you can see that if it were active, it would actually pop up and tell you that you were being throttled.

Sure, I don't see why it needs to be there, but really, if someone is going to remove it, they should probably remove all code that calls it to run too. Since there are still calls to the throttle service, these kinds of errors are silently happening in the background (copied from my logcat):
E/dalvikvm( 2725): Could not find class 'com.android.server.ThrottleService', referenced from method com.android.server.ServerThread.run
W/dalvikvm( 2725): VFY: unable to resolve new-instance 769 (Lcom/android/server/ThrottleService;) in Lcom/android/server/ServerThread;
D/dalvikvm( 2725): VFY: replacing opcode 0x22 at 0x0287
W/dalvikvm( 2725): VFY: unable to find class referenced in signature (Lcom/android/server/ThrottleService;)
W/dalvikvm( 2725): VFY: unable to find class referenced in signature (Lcom/android/server/ThrottleService;)
D/dalvikvm( 2725): VFY: dead code 0x0289-0298 in Lcom/android/server/ServerThread;.run ()V
D/dalvikvm( 2725): VFY: dead code 0x073f-0745 in Lcom/android/server/ServerThread;.run ()V

I/SystemServer( 2725): Throttle Service
E/SystemServer( 2725): Failure starting ThrottleService
E/SystemServer( 2725): java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com.android.server.ThrottleService
E/SystemServer( 2725): at com.android.server.ServerThread.run(SystemServer.java:317)

I/dalvikvm( 2725): Could not find method com.android.server.ThrottleService.systemReady, referenced from method com.android.server.ServerThread$1.run
W/dalvikvm( 2725): VFY: unable to resolve virtual method 4340: Lcom/android/server/ThrottleService;.systemReady ()V​

Last edited:

GizmoDroid

May 14, 2010
I am using an EB01 deodexed tar that adrynalyn had posted. Its a stock EB01 as far as I know.
Oh, ok. Yeah, it should have the files intact. I don't have a link at this time, but if you have a custom EB01 rom, like superclean or blackhole, or a theme that includes framework.jar/services.jar, you could extract these and drop it into your system/framework/ folder, since these are the file that contains the throttle manager code/service.

Last edited:

GizmoDroid

May 14, 2010
In case anyone is interested in the technical background of the throttle service, here is a a little taste of what it is:

Grep for "throttle" on the framework folder from decompiled stock EB01
http://pastie.org/1702008

Source code for throttle files from AOSP
http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=pl...e.git&a=search&h=HEAD&st=grep&s=throttle&sr=1