[APP][25MAR10]Gen.Y DualBOOT v1.0.6.0[W|Q|VGA][CAB|EXT]

Search This thread

yozgatg

Jun 21, 2008
Just to clear up the most asked question in this thread, this app will NOT work with the HTC HD2, because there is no android distro available yet for that platform (SnapDragon)

Gen.Y DualBOOT: Dual boot solution for Windows Mobile devices with XDANDROID

Before I start, I wanted to give my props to all android developers that made android possible on our devices: please support these guys: XDANDROID team (Diamond/Raphael/Blackstone..), Topaz Android Team & others that I might have missed

*Just to clear things up, this is only a bootlauncher app, u still need to install android for yourself on your device

Introduction
Android on WM devices is getting more and more popular, especially with the latest developments, and it's almost ready for daily use. I wanted to have an app so we could easily boot into both WM & Android, and Gen.Y DualBOOT was the solution. This release is made for VGA devices, and supports booting Android both from Internal Storage (moviNAND, e.g. Touch Diamond) & Storage Card (SDMemory, e.g. Touch Pro). WVGA version and QVGA version is also ready. This app has been tested on WM6.1, but will work perfectly on WM6.5.x as well.
Keep in mind that your android setup must be installed already at the root of your storage card in order for this app to work correctly (e.g. \Internal Storage\haret.exe or \Storage Card\haret.exe respectively)

User Guide
Here's a quick User Guide, showing the interface and what the buttons are for:
genydualbootug.jpg

This app is launched by a registry key created in [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\init], so it launches directly at boot after shell gets initialized.
Chefs: If u are going to cook this app into your ROM, make sure that this key gets added DURING your customization procedure (and not before!)

There are 2 checkboxes, enabling automatic boot:
AutoBoot: enabling this mode will automatically boot the OS of your choice after a 10 second countdown
> disabling autoboot will remove the countdown completely
FastBoot: enabling this mode will automatically boot the OS of your choice after a 3 second countdown (requires AutoBoot to be enabled first)

Now apart from these 2 checkboxes, u have 2 radiobuttons, which allow u to choose which OS gets automatically booted.

And last but not least, u have the 2 manual launch buttons. Pressing these buttons will directly launch (overriding autoboot) Windows Mobile or Android.

Registry
Gen.Y DualBOOT checks for 5 registry keys, which allow some form of customiation. Apart from the last key (StorageBootMode), all keys can be modified utilizing the radio & check buttons in the GUI. All of these keys can be found in:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Gen.Y\DualBOOT]
Here's quick list describing what the keys are for
  • "AutoBootEnabled"=dword:1 (1: enable autoboot | 0: disable autoboot)
  • "FastBootEnabled"=dword:0 (1: enable fastboot | 0: disable fastboot)
  • "AutoBootAndroid"=dword:1 (1: boot Android | 0: boot Windows)
  • "StorageBootMode"=dword:0 (1: boot from Storage Card (SDMemory) | 0: boot from Internal Storage (moviNAND))
  • v1.0.6.0 and newer: "AndroidBootFolder"="string" ("": boot from root of storage (e.g. \Storage Card\haret.exe)| "andboot": boot from \Storage Card\Andboot\haret.exe, string can be edited in registry)
  • v1.0.5.0 and older: "AndroidBootFolder"=dword:0 (1: boot from \Android\ folder on storage (e.g. \Storage Card\Android\haret.exe)| 0: boot from root of storage)

The example values are the ones that are in the CAB for Internal Storage devices.

Planned features
- Complete boot processes control
- Slight GUI redesign
- Config app in WM & Android

Changelog
Code:
v1.0.6.0
- Added flexible android boot folder option
 > Set boot folder by entering the desired folder string to the "AndroidBootFolder" key in the registry
v1.0.5.0
- Minor code adjustments
 > No longer requires seperate .MUI file
- Added program icon (+ WM6.5 png icon)
- Added shortcut to Start Menu > Programs
v1.0.4.1
- Re-checked code, now working perfectly
v1.04
- Fixed bug with autoboot being disabled on boot if android was missing
- Fixed bug with manual Android launch only working if AutoBoot set to Android
v1.03
- Added new registry key to allow booting from \Android\ folder on memory card
- Added checking for haret.exe before enabling the android boot option
 > if the android button is disabled, u can re-enable it (after disabling usb mass storage mode, or inserting the sd card that contains the android setup) simply by pressing the disabled android icon
- QVGA layout fixed
v1.02
- Signed .exe file with SDKCerts
- Fixed boot problems by moving genyboot to Launch62 in HKLM\init
 > Now boots even on stock ROMs!
v1.01
- Fixed registry issues
v1.00
- Initial Release

Download
The source of Gen.Y DualBOOT (and also DualSWITCH, a tool to switch between AT&T and normal Touch Pro keyboards in android) has been released.
This is for developers only. The source has been compiled in Basic4ppc.
Gen.Y DualBOOT Source

Download the attached cabs or simply click the link below to download all resolutions in one zip package

There are 5 versions available:
  • QVGA, boot from Storage Card (e.g. Vogue, Kaiser,..)
  • WQVGA, boot from Storage Card
  • VGA, boot from Internal Storage (e.g. Diamond)
  • VGA, boot from Storage Card (e.g. Raphael)
  • WVGA, boot from Storage Card (e.g. Blackstone, Topaz, Xperia,..)

Gen.Y DualBOOT v1.0.6.0 CABs (QVGA|WQVGA|VGA|WVGA)
Gen.Y DualBOOT v1.0.6.0 VisualKitchen EXT packages for Chefs (QVGA|WQVGA|VGA|WVGA)

This app MUST be installed on your internal memory in order for autoboot to work. (installing on internal storage/storage card will cause the app not to launch on boot)
Also make sure that all registry entries are correct, since an incorrect/missing registry key can cause errors (v1.0.6.0: make sure the AndroidBootFolder key is a STRING (not dword!)

For chefs: if u are also cooking in RunCC, cooking this app to the \Windows folder is recommended to save storage space (since the progress image are the same)
For chefs: u can make Gen.Y DualBOOT start faster by moving editing the following (be aware, this will not work in all roms!). Open mxipupdate_xdandroid-genyboot_100.provxml, and change "Launch62" to "Launch52" in the following line:
Code:
<parm name="Launch62" value="genyboot.exe" datatype="string"/>

The CAB works for all languages (v1.0.6.0)

Skins
GT inspired Skins by sk8inmonk
sk8inmonkskinad.jpg

ElCondor has made a nice Android Theme for Gen.Y DualBOOT, you can find it in this thread
11avbbm.jpg

I would like to express my thanks to all of you who have provided me with feedback, bug reports and donations.
This app wouldn't have been the same without you.

If u like my work and would like to thank me for the time spent, you can always donate

Attachments

• GenY-DualBOOT-v1.0.6.0-EXT.zip
    574.4 KB · Views: 72,850
  • GenY-DualBOOT-v1.0.6.0-CAB.zip
    585.4 KB · Views: 136,221
Last edited:

The_Steph

Mar 20, 2007
Paris
yozgatg,

Simply amazing. Eagerly waiting for WVGA version (and Androïd to be available on HD2).

The_Steph

impreZzA

Feb 5, 2009
Did I get it right, with this app I am able to choose between android and windows mobile?

And Android works "perfect" on windows mobile devices? I have seen a video showing android on blackstone, and not all of the functions were usable?

Does this works better, now?

If it turns out to be right, this would be awesome :-D

But I will need a detailed plan to get it running on my device :-D

sk8inmonk

May 30, 2008
wellington,new zealand
Functions

Did I get it right, with this app I am able to choose between android and windows mobile?

And Android works "perfect" on windows mobile devices? I have seen a video showing android on blackstone, and not all of the functions were usable?

Does this works better, now?

If it turns out to be right, this would be awesome :-D

But I will need a detailed plan to get it running on my device :-D

No its not perfect camera doesn't work along with some other pieces but its getting there.

Kenia1234

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 15, 2008
:eek::eek::eek: Excellent!! :eek::eek::eek:
I didn't think you'll relase a WVGA version!! :D:D:D:D
Waiting for that!!!

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

kasher9

Jan 5, 2010
I am eagerly waiting for the HTC HD2 (wvga) version :D this sounds soooo awesome, the development on android is just ridiculous and HTC HD2 should always have been an android.

bugsykoosh

Jun 16, 2007
I hate to make a thread longer without contributing content but this will go down in history. Can't wait to try it out.

pyraxiate

Jun 24, 2007
Baltimore
Simply Amazing

Just wanted to tell you thank you for all of your hard work. This should prove to be a very useful tool for some of us :)

Thanks Again!!!

wonsanim

Jan 25, 2007
1.This Amazing DualBOOT runs in any WM 6.1 & 6.5 Device or just in some models?
2.Can Run in My HTC X7510 WM 6.1 using VGA Landscape screen orientation?

Last edited:

valkryomnia

Feb 26, 2009
Sorry to be a noob.

Is there a version of Android for the Omnia i910?
I tried searching but came up blank. Also... if so, I thought that downloading the android OS would replace the WM OS. Is this true, or does it just overlap WM, and this app makes it possible to run either?

I know this app isn't WQVGA. I hope it becomes WQVGA.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just to clear up the most asked question in this thread, this app will NOT work with the HTC HD2, because there is no android distro available yet for that platform (SnapDragon)

Gen.Y DualBOOT: Dual boot solution for Windows Mobile devices with XDANDROID

Before I start, I wanted to give my props to all android developers that made android possible on our devices: please support these guys: XDANDROID team (Diamond/Raphael/Blackstone..), Topaz Android Team & others that I might have missed

*Just to clear things up, this is only a bootlauncher app, u still need to install android for yourself on your device

Introduction
    Android on WM devices is getting more and more popular, especially with the latest developments, and it's almost ready for daily use. I wanted to have an app so we could easily boot into both WM & Android, and Gen.Y DualBOOT was the solution. This release is made for VGA devices, and supports booting Android both from Internal Storage (moviNAND, e.g. Touch Diamond) & Storage Card (SDMemory, e.g. Touch Pro). WVGA version and QVGA version is also ready. This app has been tested on WM6.1, but will work perfectly on WM6.5.x as well.
    Keep in mind that your android setup must be installed already at the root of your storage card in order for this app to work correctly (e.g. \Internal Storage\haret.exe or \Storage Card\haret.exe respectively)

User Guide
    Here's a quick User Guide, showing the interface and what the buttons are for:
    genydualbootug.jpg

This app is launched by a registry key created in [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\init], so it launches directly at boot after shell gets initialized.
    Chefs: If u are going to cook this app into your ROM, make sure that this key gets added DURING your customization procedure (and not before!)

There are 2 checkboxes, enabling automatic boot:
    AutoBoot: enabling this mode will automatically boot the OS of your choice after a 10 second countdown
    > disabling autoboot will remove the countdown completely
    FastBoot: enabling this mode will automatically boot the OS of your choice after a 3 second countdown (requires AutoBoot to be enabled first)

Now apart from these 2 checkboxes, u have 2 radiobuttons, which allow u to choose which OS gets automatically booted.

And last but not least, u have the 2 manual launch buttons. Pressing these buttons will directly launch (overriding autoboot) Windows Mobile or Android.

Registry
    Gen.Y DualBOOT checks for 5 registry keys, which allow some form of customiation. Apart from the last key (StorageBootMode), all keys can be modified utilizing the radio & check buttons in the GUI. All of these keys can be found in:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Gen.Y\DualBOOT]
    Here's quick list describing what the keys are for
    • "AutoBootEnabled"=dword:1 (1: enable autoboot | 0: disable autoboot)
    • "FastBootEnabled"=dword:0 (1: enable fastboot | 0: disable fastboot)
    • "AutoBootAndroid"=dword:1 (1: boot Android | 0: boot Windows)
    • "StorageBootMode"=dword:0 (1: boot from Storage Card (SDMemory) | 0: boot from Internal Storage (moviNAND))
    • v1.0.6.0 and newer: "AndroidBootFolder"="string" ("": boot from root of storage (e.g. \Storage Card\haret.exe)| "andboot": boot from \Storage Card\Andboot\haret.exe, string can be edited in registry)
    • v1.0.5.0 and older: "AndroidBootFolder"=dword:0 (1: boot from \Android\ folder on storage (e.g. \Storage Card\Android\haret.exe)| 0: boot from root of storage)

The example values are the ones that are in the CAB for Internal Storage devices.

Planned features
    - Complete boot processes control
    - Slight GUI redesign
    - Config app in WM & Android

Changelog
    Code:
    v1.0.6.0
    - Added flexible android boot folder option
     > Set boot folder by entering the desired folder string to the "AndroidBootFolder" key in the registry
    v1.0.5.0
    - Minor code adjustments
     > No longer requires seperate .MUI file
    - Added program icon (+ WM6.5 png icon)
    - Added shortcut to Start Menu > Programs
    v1.0.4.1
    - Re-checked code, now working perfectly
    v1.04
    - Fixed bug with autoboot being disabled on boot if android was missing
    - Fixed bug with manual Android launch only working if AutoBoot set to Android
    v1.03
    - Added new registry key to allow booting from \Android\ folder on memory card
    - Added checking for haret.exe before enabling the android boot option
     > if the android button is disabled, u can re-enable it (after disabling usb mass storage mode, or inserting the sd card that contains the android setup) simply by pressing the disabled android icon
    - QVGA layout fixed
    v1.02
    - Signed .exe file with SDKCerts
    - Fixed boot problems by moving genyboot to Launch62 in HKLM\init
     > Now boots even on stock ROMs!
    v1.01
    - Fixed registry issues
    v1.00
    - Initial Release

Download
    The source of Gen.Y DualBOOT (and also DualSWITCH, a tool to switch between AT&T and normal Touch Pro keyboards in android) has been released.
    This is for developers only. The source has been compiled in Basic4ppc.
    Gen.Y DualBOOT Source

Download the attached cabs or simply click the link below to download all resolutions in one zip package

There are 5 versions available:
    • QVGA, boot from Storage Card (e.g. Vogue, Kaiser,..)
    • WQVGA, boot from Storage Card
    • VGA, boot from Internal Storage (e.g. Diamond)
    • VGA, boot from Storage Card (e.g. Raphael)
    • WVGA, boot from Storage Card (e.g. Blackstone, Topaz, Xperia,..)

Gen.Y DualBOOT v1.0.6.0 CABs (QVGA|WQVGA|VGA|WVGA)
    Gen.Y DualBOOT v1.0.6.0 VisualKitchen EXT packages for Chefs (QVGA|WQVGA|VGA|WVGA)

This app MUST be installed on your internal memory in order for autoboot to work. (installing on internal storage/storage card will cause the app not to launch on boot)
    Also make sure that all registry entries are correct, since an incorrect/missing registry key can cause errors (v1.0.6.0: make sure the AndroidBootFolder key is a STRING (not dword!)

For chefs: if u are also cooking in RunCC, cooking this app to the \Windows folder is recommended to save storage space (since the progress image are the same)
    For chefs: u can make Gen.Y DualBOOT start faster by moving editing the following (be aware, this will not work in all roms!). Open mxipupdate_xdandroid-genyboot_100.provxml, and change "Launch62" to "Launch52" in the following line:
    Code:
    <parm name="Launch62" value="genyboot.exe" datatype="string"/>

The CAB works for all languages (v1.0.6.0)

Skins
    GT inspired Skins by sk8inmonk
    sk8inmonkskinad.jpg

ElCondor has made a nice Android Theme for Gen.Y DualBOOT, you can find it in this thread
    11avbbm.jpg

I would like to express my thanks to all of you who have provided me with feedback, bug reports and donations.
    This app wouldn't have been the same without you.

If u like my work and would like to thank me for the time spent, you can always donate
    Can someone explain how to fix the "Android is missing" error in simple terms? I am having this problem on my TP and Diamond, too.
    When you are running from the Andboot folder on the Storage card, do the following at the Registry location shown on the first page of this thread:

AndroidBootFolder=andboot

When you are running from the root of Storage card (without any folders), leave the string blank.

Hit that Thanks button if this worked for you... :)
    Yes, I can run it manually.

could you try this new attached WVGA cab then? This new cab directly installs it into the windows folder, which should work better for the HKLM\init procedure. Also, i signed the .exe this time with msigner. Let me know if it works.

* check the new version at the first post
    As a programmer, I am VERY ANGRY with this application.
    How can a application stupid like this? Are you kidding me? hardcode the path? Ask user to change registry just for change the path?

shame on you.
    Dear Lord, why doesn't anything works as it should, like it used to be???

I'm also having this problem, and here's what I found:

1- (of course) I have a working haret.exe on the root of Internal Storage
    2- Installed Gen.Y VGA to the internal memory (NOT the Internal Storage): check registry, entries are there;
    3- run Gen.Y, click Android, it boots Android
    4- After reboot, the dreaded "An error occurred retrieving the registry key" error appears: click cancel, go to the registry, entries are not there!! wth?!!?
    5- manually create entries, reboot, still the same friggin' error: go to the registry, entries are still NOT there!! wtf?!!?

So there is the friggin' problem: why are the registry entries dissapearing? And YES, i've red almost all of this giant thread. geez..
    I had this problem too.
    Make the registry entry and restart windows to apply it. It seems a side-effect of running haret is that the recent keys are not saved. It's odd, but that was the problem.