[Q] How is the Network Operator determined?

Search This thread

StefanGA

Apr 3, 2007
Hi Android-Guru's,

I need some help to research a weird issue that is happening for me on almost ANY custom ROM - mostly CyanogenMOD based, but it is consistent as well throughout all current KitKat builds including AOSP and MOKEE.

What happens is, regardless of which network operator I am connected to, the phone in status-bar and settings menu will always show my SIM card operator (Telekom.de). Even when I go to manual network selection menu and the list of operators is retrieved, I get a list of 6 x Telekom.de
Now the argument is correct, that this is cosmetic, it becomes tricky for me when I go abroad - which I do on a daily basis. So selecting the correct foreign network operator is crucial to save on roaming charges e.g. LUXGSM may be cheaper than TANGO, etc. however, I have no way to properly determine that, since the list will simply show 5 entries with "Telekom.de".

I have a XT925 (RAZR HD) and this works perfectly fine on stock. It works also perfectly fine on the early (10.2) CM releases. At some point starting with 4.3 firmware iterations, I started seeing the "wrong" - I researched google for hours and was directed to compare various eri.xml, spn-conf.xml and decompiled the framework-res.apk to see if maybe the methodology for displaying carrier name had changed between working and non-working builds, but couldn't find any difference.

So, since there are probably enough XT925 users out there, what are you seeing? Could this be related to my sim card which is fairly old (4-5years)? Where do I find the code behind carrier display in android?

appreciate your help,
Stefan

StefanGA

Apr 3, 2007
69 views and no one here with a GSM XT925 who is running a recent build of KK and able to perform an operator search to see what he/she gets?

StefanGA

Apr 3, 2007
I have a xt925, I don't have that problem but I found this app maybe helps you ....

thanks for the feedback and the suggestion, Dorian - I tried it, but takes me to the regular network selection screen in the settings that just displays the list of "Telekom.de's" :) but good thought.
I wonder, what is different with my setup - might this be a baseband or modem issue?
I realized, that my phone number in status screen shows as "unknown" as well - but IMEI shows correctly, not sure if that is related.

StefanGA

Apr 3, 2007
still looking actively for an answer.. I tried to go back to stock with RSD Lite to see if any of my baseband or modem files is screwed, but I couldn´t get RSD to recognize my phone.. probably an indication that my device has some kind of issue!?
Anyone any ideas?