[Q] HELP - child wiped out phone (brick?) and mom needs help...

Search This thread

Bchgirl19

May 13, 2014
hi everyone! I am seeking your expertise as I came upon this forum trying to help my son fix his phone. He's only 11 years old- but as we call him at home our "tech guy". He got a brand new HTC One M8 (carrier is ATT) yesterday and 3 hours later - the phone was "bricked" as I have been told. Apparently, (these are his words) he "unlocked the bootloader using HTCdev, then flashed twrp, then flashed supersu.zip.

I have no idea what any of that means but apparently he did something wrong because his phone is not working and we don't know how to fix it. If you have any compassion for a frustrated Mom who's trying not to be angry with her son -- I would appreciate any advice you can give on how to fix this.

I have attached a picture of what the phone looks like when we turn it on. I also posted this under the ATT forum too.

Thanks in advance for your help!

MindfulSheep

Apr 20, 2014
hi everyone! I am seeking your expertise as I came upon this forum trying to help my son fix his phone. He's only 11 years old- but as we call him at home our "tech guy". He got a brand new HTC One M8 (carrier is ATT) yesterday and 3 hours later - the phone was "bricked" as I have been told. Apparently, (these are his words) he "unlocked the bootloader using HTCdev, then flashed twrp, then flashed supersu.zip.

I have no idea what any of that means but apparently he did something wrong because his phone is not working and we don't know how to fix it. If you have any compassion for a frustrated Mom who's trying not to be angry with her son -- I would appreciate any advice you can give on how to fix this.

I have attached a picture of what the phone looks like when we turn it on. I also posted this under the ATT forum too.

Going by the pic, the bootloader has been relocked. So that's a problem. The bootloader will need to be unlocked again. I would suggest heading over to Youtube, as I have found video tutorials the most helpful when I was learning this stuff. There are plenty of videos that are even specific to the M8.

Edit: I should also point out that a phone can almost always be saved/restored if it still powers on. So don't panic. It would probably be in your best interest though to find someone experienced to fix it. Trying to explain the process to fix it here is not going to be helpful to someone who doesn't know what they're doing. If you can't find someone experienced, then my best suggestion, as stated above, would be to watch some Youtube tutorials on unlocking/rooting the M8.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bchgirl19

grentuu

Jan 9, 2011
Just outside of Manchester UK
Okay. In all seriousness.

When was this screen grab taken? In other words, is this your current position with the phone?

Relocked... etc etc

Are you in the US on AT&T?

Last edited:

SaHiLzZ

Jan 19, 2011
Your tech son needs to restore ATT backup.. Hopefully someone in that forum has it

sent from my mobile device

Reactions: Bchgirl19

Bchgirl19

May 13, 2014
UPDATE on my son

Thank you all so much for your responses! It is much appreciated. Believe it or not - this kid fixed it all by himself. Basically (remember I am not technical) he unlocked the boot loader then flashed a ROM onto an SD card and was able to load. Don't think I worded correctly - but I think you know what I am talking about -- it's fixed and working fine. WHEW!!

I guess he "retraced" the steps he did last night and was able to get it. Actually it's strange the first ROM he put on wasn't allowing him to find or pick up wifi. He found another and got it. This kid is good!

I will certainly keep the info to this forum handy because something tells me that I will be visiting again with this child..................

Have a great evening!!

p.s. I typed the wrong key -- he's 12 not 11 :) And - sure I'd adopt! But he did save up his own money to get this phone and only wanted it to do these "cool" things as he says to it.....rest of my family - we are simple and use Iphones -- sorry.

MindfulSheep

Apr 20, 2014
Thank you all so much for your responses! It is much appreciated. Believe it or not - this kid fixed it all by himself. Basically (remember I am not technical) he unlocked the boot loader then flashed a ROM onto an SD card and was able to load. Don't think I worded correctly - but I think you know what I am talking about -- it's fixed and working fine. WHEW!!

I guess he "retraced" the steps he did last night and was able to get it. Actually it's strange the first ROM he put on wasn't allowing him to find or pick up wifi. He found another and got it. This kid is good!

I will certainly keep the info to this forum handy because something tells me that I will be visiting again with this child..................

Have a great evening!!

p.s. I typed the wrong key -- he's 12 not 11 :) And - sure I'd adopt! But he did save up his own money to get this phone and only wanted it to do these "cool" things as he says to it.....rest of my family - we are simple and use Iphones -- sorry.

I'm glad to hear everything worked out for you and your son. :)

It's great to know that you're letting your kid tinker around as he is. I know these are quite expensive devices, but we often do learn from our mistakes, and that is even more true when it comes to technology. I'm sure that I have a bit of a bias being a software developer, but tech is such a huge part of life now, and that is only going to become more so with time. So getting an early start as he is, your son is going to have a leg-up in the world, even if he doesn't choose this type of field as a career path.

Reactions: n1234d and exad

charly-whiskey

Jan 8, 2009
Soest
www.cwgc.de

It's great to know that you're letting your kid tinker around as he is. I know these are quite expensive devices, but we often do learn from our mistakes, and that is even more true when it comes to technology. I'm sure that I have a bit of a bias being a software developer, but tech is such a huge part of life now, and that is only going to become more so with time. So getting an early start as he is, your son is going to have a leg-up in the world, even if he doesn't choose this type of field as a career path.

Agree! But keep an eye on him, so that he sleeps from time to time. And hide your car keys!

Bchgirl19

May 13, 2014

Thanks!! He's very into all of this stuff and always has been from a very young age -- started with Legos at 2. :) He doesn't play sports and this is his "thing". He really LOVES all this stuff. He's actually really good and understands most things. As you can see - we certainly have issues now and then but overall we certainly let him "tinker". I really should write stuff down so we can laugh about it in about 10 years. We tried to limit his Internet time a couple of years ago and added a password on his computer that we had to input on his computer to gain access. Little **** put a keystroke logger on the computer to get the password. Then he somehow modified the main password screen to say PENIS when we logged on. The stories go on and on....... We will let him continue his technology building and hopefully he really have a bright future in technology!

Thanks for all of the input and support from this forum!

ashyt16

Apr 24, 2014
Thanks!! He's very into all of this stuff and always has been from a very young age -- started with Legos at 2. :) He doesn't play sports and this is his "thing". He really LOVES all this stuff. He's actually really good and understands most things. As you can see - we certainly have issues now and then but overall we certainly let him "tinker". I really should write stuff down so we can laugh about it in about 10 years. We tried to limit his Internet time a couple of years ago and added a password on his computer that we had to input on his computer to gain access. Little **** put a keystroke logger on the computer to get the password. Then he somehow modified the main password screen to say PENIS when we logged on. The stories go on and on....... We will let him continue his technology building and hopefully he really have a bright future in technology!

Thanks for all of the input and support from this forum!

I was the same from an early age and always have been. I have taken apart or modified more household items than I can think of. I broke a lot of stuff messing as a kid, but now I have a lot of knowledge and can fix almost any thing properly.
It seems you are not so bad yourself with the technical stuff as most moms wouldn't have a clue or even be able to repeat what you have explained here.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Have a great evening!!

Going by the pic, the bootloader has been relocked. So that's a problem. The bootloader will need to be unlocked again. I would suggest heading over to Youtube, as I have found video tutorials the most helpful when I was learning this stuff. There are plenty of videos that are even specific to the M8.

Edit: I should also point out that a phone can almost always be saved/restored if it still powers on. So don't panic. It would probably be in your best interest though to find someone experienced to fix it. Trying to explain the process to fix it here is not going to be helpful to someone who doesn't know what they're doing. If you can't find someone experienced, then my best suggestion, as stated above, would be to watch some Youtube tutorials on unlocking/rooting the M8.
    Your tech son needs to restore ATT backup.. Hopefully someone in that forum has it

sent from my mobile device
    All I can say to this is Wow!!