{GPL}[Kernel][Tool] ZenKernel HTC Kernel Overclocked UnderVolted + AnyKernel 8-29-10

Search This thread

zenulator

Retired Recognized Developer
Apr 12, 2009
AnyKernel zips will only replace the kernel in your boot.img.

To define a boot.img:

Kernel(zImage) + ramdisk(root file system + init scripts) = boot.img

Where AnyKernel came from:

While searching for different kernels for my Motorola Droid I stumbled on a great idea implemented by Koush. Basically it will split the boot.img from recovery while your phone is running then replace the kernel and make a new boot.img and flash it along with the correct modules for the kernel.

I figured I would implement it on the CDMA Hero and it worked out.

This will work on any rooted rom with a custom recovery running Sense UI including the stock rom.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are the undervolted and overclocked kernels for Sense ROMS

These kernels are built from the HTC heroc-2.6.29-bc0d2ccf source with toasts overclock patch modified by darchstar/Decad3nce to include undervolt.

The git repo for this is @ http://github.com/zenulator/htc-heroc-2.6.29-bc0d2cff

The GPL license can be read @ http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

ZenKernel-HTC-08122010 no perf lock
It has perf lock disabled to allow full overclocking with out the need use setcpu to disable perf lock. The clock speeds will stay at what ever the target rom uses unless you running a rom with no overclock built in. If so it will scale from 19mhz to 768mhz.
Download

ZenKernel-HTC-08122010 perf lock
Same as above but with perf lock enabled. It will run at stock values on any sense Rom until you use setcpu. To overclock it you will need to set setcpu to autodetect and then disable perf lock inside setcpu.
Download

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

StockVoltage Overclocked Kernel:
This kernel is built from the same source as the rest except the voltages were changed to stock values. It will max out at 691 and the governor is set to performance.
Download

Setcpu is free for xda memebers and can be found here:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=3638937&postcount=1

Instructions:

Download the update and copy it to the root of your sdcard.
Reboot into recovery.
Nandroid (just in case you want to go back)
Flash the update
Reboot
Check Settings > About phone > Software information > Kernel version

If you wish to modify this with another kernel just extract the update and replace the zImage in the kernel directory with the one you want and replace the corresponding modules. Then rezip and resign and flash. It will work on any 2.1 sense rom regardless of boot.img.

Last edited:

derekwilkinson

Dec 14, 2007
Works great, using it with your beta ROM. Lock screen lag is gone :)
I got used to it so I barely noticed it... but now it seems a lot faster :p

thatguythatdid

Mar 10, 2010
With your mom :) milf
I know you just started this and it says for sense. But I gotta ask is there anyway that this will work with froyo? I'm not a fan of overclock roms because of the lag when you push the menu key till when you screen is actually ready to go. And this gives me hope :D
of having a kernel that doesn't do that

zenulator

Apr 12, 2009
I know you just started this and it says for sense. But I gotta ask is there anyway that this will work with froyo? I'm not a fan of overclock roms because of the lag when you push the menu key till when you screen is actually ready to go. And this gives me hope :D
of having a kernel that doesn't do that

Yes it will work for froyo if you modify it and put in the correct zImage (kernel). It won't work with the update I posted since it's made for Sense roms and uses HTC's Synaptics driver which isn't compatible with AOSP 2.2 Froyo/Cyanogenmod.

If you want a AOSP kernel with no overclock and no ability to overclock at all then I can do that but not for a couple days. If you ask darch he might be able to do it quicker since he already has everything set up and most likely only two files will need to be changed before a compile.

thatguythatdid

Mar 10, 2010
With your mom :) milf
Yes it will work for froyo if you modify it and put in the correct zImage (kernel). It won't work with the update I posted since it's made for Sense roms and uses HTC's Synaptics driver which isn't compatible with AOSP 2.2 Froyo/Cyanogenmod.

If you want a AOSP kernel with no overclock and no ability to overclock at all then I can do that but not for a couple days. If you ask darch he might be able to do it quicker since he already has everything set up and most likely only two files will need to be changed before a compile.

Thanks for the reply I'm gonna give the new kernel a chance to see how it does

Decad3nce

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 19, 2010
Excuse my ignorance but how is this different from Standard DarchKernel vUV2 691 MHz found here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=705074 ?
That's what I'm using and it already says
Kernel version
2.6.29-cyanogenmod
ameer@darchstar #6

Uhh. I'm going to give a brief explanation.

AnyKernel is a tool created by Koushik Dutta found here on github.

The beauty of it is that it can flash/add a kernel to any boot.img regardless of ramdisk. It literally does the unpacking of the boot.img, extracting of the ramdisk, deletion of the original kernel and repacking of the boot.img together with the kernel of your choice.

The difference with this is probably changes in base address/cmd line and possible how it's extracted(haven't looked at it). Very awesome tool nonetheless, and is a lot more efficient that going through the process of coupling the kernel with each specific ramdisk before releasing a boot.img.

That's how it's different from your quoted "kernel".

Papa Smurf151

Feb 24, 2010
Atlanta
Uhh. I'm going to give a brief explanation.

AnyKernel is a tool created by Koushik Dutta found here on github.

The beauty of it is that it can flash/add a kernel to any boot.img regardless of ramdisk. It literally does the unpacking of the boot.img, extracting of the ramdisk, deletion of the original kernel and repacking of the boot.img together with the kernel of your choice.

The difference with this is probably changes in base address/cmd line and possible how it's extracted(haven't looked at it). Very awesome tool nonetheless, and is a lot more efficient that going through the process of coupling the kernel with each specific ramdisk before releasing a boot.img.

That's how it's different from your quoted "kernel".

I understand the explanation but have to ask what rge different change. I know this will just change the kernal from the boot imiage which is great and it has the HTC synaptic drivers in the kernal but that kernal with the HTC drivers has already been implemented into the latest boot.imgs. its a cool concept and would make it easier to change just the kernal for a one shot stop when a newer kernal comes out but as of right now that's the same kernal most of the sense based roms have already implemented into them at this time. If im wrong I'm sorry.

zer0vette

Feb 11, 2009
Now with the HTC Synaptics driver included, the swipe action once the screen is on is no longer lagged. However, I notice that there is still lag from the time the power button is hit to the time the screen comes on as compared to stock where there is almost no lag. Is there some other driver or something that causes this?

Last edited:

nfinitefx45

Apr 12, 2010
Abingdon, MD.
Well just an update but it has been very smooth so far, 8 hours as still smooth . Great job. Screen rotation and scroll seem quicker also .

Sent from my HERO200 using XDA App

zenulator

Apr 12, 2009
I understand the explanation but have to ask what rge different change. I know this will just change the kernal from the boot imiage which is great and it has the HTC synaptic drivers in the kernal but that kernal with the HTC drivers has already been implemented into the latest boot.imgs. its a cool concept and would make it easier to change just the kernal for a one shot stop when a newer kernal comes out but as of right now that's the same kernal most of the sense based roms have already implemented into them at this time. If im wrong I'm sorry.

This will just make it a lot easier instead of having multiple boot.img for different roms like in the other thread. Plus this will work on other roms not supported in the other thread. I know the kernel brings nothing new but for instance if someone wants to overclock my old ZenHero they can now do that. Or if someone just rooted their phone and installed RA or some other recovery this is all they need to over clock and still keep their stock system.

So when someone makes a new kernel they can use this and have it work on any Rom instead of just a specific Rom.

MrGreg

Dec 30, 2009
Now with the HTC Synaptics driver included, the swipe action once the screen is one is no longer lagged. However, I notice that there is still lag from the time the power button is hit to the time the screen comes on as compared to stock where there is almost no lag. Is there some other driver or something that causes this?

I've always wondered about this delay with the OC kernels as well.

Papa Smurf151

Feb 24, 2010
Atlanta
This will just make it a lot easier instead of having multiple boot.img for different roms like in the other thread. Plus this will work on other roms not supported in the other thread. I know the kernel brings nothing new but for instance if someone wants to overclock my old ZenHero they can now do that. Or if someone just rooted their phone and installed RA or some other recovery this is all they need to over clock and still keep their stock system.

So when someone makes a new kernel they can use this and have it work on any Rom instead of just a specific Rom.

Makes sense. I thought about it actually and it will make things easier. I used it earlier today on a boot.img I flashed first that had the ramdisk mod for battery tweak but I think was missing the HTC synaptic driver. Lag is all gone and it worked great.

zenulator

Apr 12, 2009
Makes sense. I thought about it actually and it will make things easier. I used it earlier today on a boot.img I flashed first that had the ramdisk mod for battery tweak but I think was missing the HTC synaptic driver. Lag is all gone and it worked great.

It's definitely going to make it easier for me at least since I plan on doing a bunch of new kernels based on toasts and darchstars work. As well as the official HTC kernel with toasts overclock.

It's definitely going to make it easier for me at least since I plan on doing a bunch of new kernels based on toasts and darchstars work. As well as the official HTC kernel with toasts overclock.

Now this is what I'm talking about :)
I was looking for something like this. Darchstar is one helluva dev, but it seems like the only kernels in use these days are Toasts (base) then modded toast kerenels by Darchstar (which are great as well). But I'd like to see a couple of tweaks fixed in the most recent Kernel #6 such as the typo that Uroshiol mentioned that is located in the actual zImage in the DArchstar uv2 kernel 710 with freememkiller :)
Nice nice work ya'llz and great stuff Zen... makes the addition of new kernels a breeeeze :p

tailsthecat3

Jun 28, 2010
NC
Wait...so there is an under volted, oc kernel available for nfinite's .6 stock rom that eliminates the menu button wake lag?? i dont like the lag but deal with it. although if there is a way to eliminate the lag, please share!! :D