7,827 posts
Thanks Meter: 4,164

By mikereidis, Inactive Recognized Developer on 1st May 2011, 09:23 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
17th February 2013, 06:44 PM |#5461  
Flag Figueira de Castelo Rodrigo
Thanks Meter: 223

More
Re: [APP] Spirit FM: Broadcom,Texas Instruments,Samsung Silicon Labs & Qualcomm FM ch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereidis

Relying on memory from last night, but I think so.

Debug-> Power Restart Media is a possible work-around hack.

Problem isnt fixed yet. Still a half fix that shoul be adressed. The phone incall sound vanish using Spirit FM. In CM10 all worked nicelly now the phone goes mute...

Please help Tbalden out, you are ta men for that!

Thanks

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

17th February 2013, 08:00 PM |#5462  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aini12aian

Sorry for asking this but when the Spirit2 button is not responsive in my device, does it mean it is not compatible with it?

Probably.

I think I've been clear about which devices are supported, and no others will work.
The Following User Says Thank You to mikereidis For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mikereidis Ad-Free
17th February 2013, 08:10 PM |#5463  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrbpereira

Problem isnt fixed yet. Still a half fix that shoul be adressed. The phone incall sound vanish using Spirit FM. In CM10 all worked nicelly now the phone goes mute...

Please help Tbalden out, you are ta men for that!

Thanks

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

I see you wrote this on another thread:

Quote:

Had to reboot two times my phone today because it wasnt putting any sound in call. Didnt run Spirit FM thoug... Strange.

And I think you were saying that this didn't happen until the "kernel fix" for the "no headset audio issue".

The "no headset audio issue" was a general issue I easily reproduced with Apollo music player and no FM.

Especially given your comment above, I think this is not directly related to FM or Spirit.

I'd advise just giving the kernel dev(s) time to analyze and likely fix in the kernel.

I'm too busy to get involved in non-FM stuff, and too many cooks spoil the broth anyway.
19th February 2013, 11:28 PM |#5464  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
S II I9100G , Recently my 10.1 updates have stopped Spirit 1 , 2 , I can tune but I hear nothing , no speaker or headset audio output.

THoughts?
19th February 2013, 11:53 PM |#5465  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 13,698

More
We have recently ported the 3.0.8 kernel on Samsung Galaxy SL and during the process of migrating the FM Radio driver, I have used your application to test the FM Radio due to lack of FM Radio support on CM yet.

Galaxy SL is based on TI OMAP3630 with Si4709 FM Radio Chip (Same as that of Galaxy S) and uses TWL4030 Audio SOC.

I have noticed that the application polls for Radio Station Signal RSSI every 1 second, which calls Si4709_IOC_CUR_RSSI_GET IOCTL call (on Galaxy SL) every second. However, sometimes due to very frequent RSSI updates, the audio performance is taking a hit. There are noticeable jitters and breaks in the audio stream. I have disabled the IOCTL call on the kernel level limiting it to allow IOCTL call every 10 seconds (discard the other 9 attempts), which has fixed the issue. I believe you should reduce the RSSI polling frequency to something bigger.. 10 seconds maybe? 1 second IMO is too small.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dhiru1602 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dhiru1602 Ad-Free
20th February 2013, 01:58 AM |#5466  
Flag Vancouver, BC
Thanks Meter: 109

More
Re: [APP] Spirit FM: Broadcom,Texas Instruments,Samsung Silicon Labs & Qualcomm FM ch
Does Spirit2 work on other ROMs besides CM (e.g. stock Samsung)? I'm just getting an FC when I try to use it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
20th February 2013, 05:33 AM |#5467  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pogi1100

Does Spirit2 work on other ROMs besides CM (e.g. stock Samsung)? I'm just getting an FC when I try to use it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I've seen some issues on older stock ROMs.

But it's been working OK on my GT-I9300 with a stock JB ROM I tried recently. Root is required.

If digital audio mode works on Spirit1, then Spirit2 should work, for the supported Samsung Galaxy S class devices.
The Following User Says Thank You to mikereidis For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mikereidis Ad-Free
20th February 2013, 05:40 AM |#5468  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhysl

S II I9100G , Recently my 10.1 updates have stopped Spirit 1 , 2 , I can tune but I hear nothing , no speaker or headset audio output.

THoughts?

I've been seeing a lot of general, non FM specific audio breakage in the latest JB 4.2 ROMs recently. Is all of the other audio working OK, like media players etc. ?

Some things to try:

Set Audio-> Method to "i9100G/LGP92x/TWL6040".

Try setting Debug-> Silent Loop Off (note the Off) and restart Spirit.

Or set Debug-> Play Audiotrack to "Enable" and restart Spirit.
20th February 2013, 05:50 AM |#5469  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhiru1602

I have noticed that the application polls for Radio Station Signal RSSI every 1 second, which calls Si4709_IOC_CUR_RSSI_GET IOCTL call (on Galaxy SL) every second. However, sometimes due to very frequent RSSI updates, the audio performance is taking a hit. There are noticeable jitters and breaks in the audio stream. I have disabled the IOCTL call on the kernel level limiting it to allow IOCTL call every 10 seconds (discard the other 9 attempts), which has fixed the issue. I believe you should reduce the RSSI polling frequency to something bigger.. 10 seconds maybe? 1 second IMO is too small.

Does reducing IOCtl's eliminate or just reduce audio problems ?

I've been doing 1 second updates for the last 2 years, and on si470x for 1.5 years. Despite some devices creating log entries for each call, nobody has yet brought up this issue.

IMO the "REAL" problem is in the si470x driver, and/or the audio system. Did RSSI only start working with recent Spirit releases ? If so, I'd think it's the same 3+ year old ancient driver being used on the GT-I9100G CM kernel, and I think it should be updated to the "2009 Samsung /dev/fmradio API" with many fixes.

I hope to make this configurable at some point. Broadcom uses 3 seconds and that seems OK for many people. I've left it at one second as it can help with antenna orientation and for AF alternate frequency.

At one time, RSSI polling, and RDS, were turned off when Spirit was not on screen. But now RSSI can be used for chip independent AF and some other features, and RDS is used on lockscreen and notification screen.

Even "worse", RDS and volume control are polled 10 times a second. So far, seems a necessary evil this polling.
20th February 2013, 01:52 PM |#5470  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:

Wait 'til you see Spirit2 Feb 16 alpha 4: http://devhost.xda-developers.com/Bhh

It's 2013. Many of us have $500-$1000 "super-ultra phones" packed with so many radios, cores and other technology it's not funny.

And yet the FM apps don't work over Bluetooth, usually don't record, don't provide visualizations & equalizers etc., while all other forms of audio/media DO support those things.

Spirit2 alpha 4 is the first FM app to provide bluetooth, record, visualizations & equalizers.

The 20 test buttons were disabled to make way for a spectrum analyzer, in red, and above it in green the waveform / oscilloscope display. Visualizations may not work, or may stop, if a visualization wallpaper (such as CM spectrum), or some other visualization app is active.

Also, I tweaked the various gain settings, and hope to hear that audio quality is improved, or at least not any worse. Please report your audio quality observations and for reference, how much of an audiophile you are.

And I added support for equalizer. It works on my GS3 with recent JB stock ROM (as does a 3rd party app), but doesn't work on CM10.1 (nor does that app). Press the wrench button to change to the next eq preset and see it at top in the "Quality" box used for Stereo/Mono indication. Yes, there will be many more controls, but not today.

Also, record works, putting WAV files in /sdcard/Music/fm. To start recording, press the Speaker button. To stop, press the same button, but now with a headset image. Speaker mode is not available.

If audio doesn't work at start, just press Pause/Play. Bluetooth issues are possible. Pause/play, or starting BT while Spirit2 is running may help. SU is now only needed at first start. As before, power on is manual and only JB 4.1/4.2 and GS/GS2/GS3/Note/Note2 are supported. As before RDS stops working after 5 minutes unless you're an Unlocked customer and have a license file from me. Band/de-emphasis defaults to North America this time so frequency response outside of North America will be different.

Notification window shows some controls now, but I see CM can be configured to show controls for all media apps, and this works for Spirit1 Unlocked or Spirit2 also.

Note that I'm not concerned about the UI at present. So don't report UI issues, like speaker/headset for record, or "wrong" layouts.

I'm happy now to hear reports about audio quality, app stability or any major problems, like audio cutouts. But don't report "cosmetic" or medium to relatively minor issues.

Hi Mike,

Will Spirit 2 be converted to be operational on Android ICS phones?
20th February 2013, 06:54 PM |#5471  
Flag Hobro
Thanks Meter: 49

More
Quote:

I've seen some issues on older stock ROMs.

But it's been working OK on my GT-I9300 with a stock JB ROM I tried recently. Root is required.

If digital audio mode works on Spirit1, then Spirit2 should work, for the supported Samsung Galaxy S class devices.

In Spirit UL (digital mode) and Spirit 2 RDS wórks, but not audio on my SGS2 with rooted stock JB ROM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
spirit fm radio receiver ota

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)