[Q] NFC version of European Samsung Galaxy S II?

Search This thread
I am sorry if there is a duplication to this thread but
just to share a article which i had found @nfc.cc/archives/948 (Dated 1 November 2011)

The NFC Version of the Galaxy S II was already announcing at the MWC in Barcelona this year. The device comes currently in two versions. One without NFC and one with NFC. The NFC version is already available in Asia(Korea only??). European countries will receive the device in November/December, if requested by the operators. The NFC version of the Samsung Galaxy S II comes with a PN544. The antenna of the device is located in the Battery back. (note the 4-pin connector to the battery; usually there are only 3 pins).

In the non-NFC version the NFC chips itself is missing. You can see the ball grid array where the chips will be placed. Although the Samsung Galaxy S II isn’t equipped with an embedded secure element, this could change in the future. NXP Chip platform is very flexible and the PN544 (no secure element) and the PN65 (with secure element) are PIN compatible. So for the handset manufacture it makes no difference if they use an embedded secure element or not form a production perspective. Nevertheless the PN65 is more expensive as it comes with an embedded JavaCard based smartcard chip – the SmartMX.

So is there any updates regarding a NFC version of the current device being released soon?

RedWave31

May 9, 2007
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
It seems in France we (and I :D) have a PN55 unsecure, with a secure-through-sim solution for NFC Payment.

Though, I can't use P2P NFC yet (will/should be implemented in 2.3.7 like Nexus S), or in 4.0

SnakyTheToops

Feb 4, 2010
Strasbourg
Hi !

I have the NFC version of the SGS2 (Cityzi Orange white). I want to change the Orange ROM with the common Samsung ROM. I read that it is not possible today. Do you have information about that ?

Regards

robocopu

Dec 1, 2011
Any news on the official kernel for this version ?

The phone is branded Orange France

Android Version : 2.3.4
Baseband : I9100PBVKI2
Kernel : 2.6.35.7-I9100PBVKI3-CL608158root@DELL82 #2
Version Number : GINGERBREAD.BVKI3

I would like to root my phone and after keep the original kernel, but I have searched all over for it and can't find it !

Thank you !