Windows 8.1 Fastboot drivers not working now..

Search This thread

jwtrockz1998

Jun 11, 2013
Auckland
I have been using windows 8.1 for a few weeks now and have had no problems with using fastboot. ADB still works but when my HTC One is in fastboot mode windows does not recognize the driver at all. It has just happened randomly and Im not sure what I should try to get it working again as I need too because Im and selling the phone and need to flash the stock RUU.

Help would be much appreciated

Thanks

troby86

Sep 27, 2008
Texas
I have been using windows 8.1 for a few weeks now and have had no problems with using fastboot. ADB still works but when my HTC One is in fastboot mode windows does not recognize the driver at all. It has just happened randomly and Im not sure what I should try to get it working again as I need too because Im and selling the phone and need to flash the stock RUU.

Thanks

Did you happen to downgrade the HBOOT? I have 8.1 as well, and I've noticed that my One will only communicate on HBOOT 1.55/1.56, anything lower will not connect (i.e. 1.44), don't know why, I'm guessing a driver issue with the older HBOOTS. Luckily, I have dual booted Linux, so I was able to reflash my HBOOT back to 1.56, and it works with 8.1 again.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

raghav kapur

Aug 1, 2012
Bloomington, IN

Thanks

u cannot flash RUU on win8.1
the phone needs to be on HBOOT 1.44, which for some reason, win8.1 is unable to recognize. ur solutions are
1) Use Win7 on another machine
2) Through Ubuntu Linux live CD. u don't need 2 install Ubuntu. Just through the live CD u can get the job done.
if ur gng 2 use Ubuntu, check out this link
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1119507

if ur not very familiar with Linux desktop operating systems, Win7 can easily do the job. Ensure that u install HTC Sync Manager on ur Win 7 PC, before u start the RUU flash. U will be stuck on Waiting for device...... if u don't install Sync Manager

nkk71

Inactive Recognized Developer / Contributor
May 26, 2010
Beirut
u cannot flash RUU on win8.1
the phone needs to be on HBOOT 1.44, which for some reason, win8.1 is unable to recognize. ur solutions are
1) Use Win7 on another machine
2) Through Ubuntu Linux live CD. u don't need 2 install Ubuntu. Just through the live CD u can get the job done.
if ur gng 2 use Ubuntu, check out this link
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1119507

if ur not very familiar with Linux desktop operating systems, Win7 can easily do the job. Ensure that u install HTC Sync Manager on ur Win 7 PC, before u start the RUU flash. U will be stuck on Waiting for device...... if u don't install Sync Manager
Those are some really outdated instructions, IMHO
you just need use:
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb android-tools-fastboot
to install adb&fastboot on Ubuntu.

Thanks
Check my guide ( http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2541082 ) under FAQ #5 on how to create an Ubuntu Live USB.