[ROOT] [AT&T, TELUS, Bell, Rogers] Pre-Rooted Kernel (flash via Odin)

Search This thread

itsjusttim

Aug 12, 2010
SoCal
I got this message when install Titanium BK.
Is it ok?
47aead1a-2749-2aa6.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA App

Yes, he said he fixed the busy box issue and is repackaging it.

Ryanscool

Aug 30, 2011
Denver
Thank you for this excellent root method. Now, is anyone going to develop the back to stock method? If no one will ill start working on it in a few days after i get my note. Ill probably include the back to full stock and maybe one including this kernel

bonefan03

Jun 30, 2010
@ryanscool
This would be greatly appreciated man, how do you do this by the way?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

itsjusttim

Aug 12, 2010
SoCal
@ryanscool
This would be greatly appreciated man, how do you do this by the way?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

I'm sure someone will post a video for all the noobs soon enough... i will post one if there is none by the time i get my note.

If you don't know anything about Odin or what your doing just wait a bit for all the issues to be ironed out.
_____
Any idea on the Canadian version?

He is unclear at the moment.

Da_G

Inactive Senior RD / Moderator Emeritus
Aug 20, 2007
Riverside, CA
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
@sweetboy02125:

Did you install Superuser prior to running that? You can try to update the su binary from there and see if that works. You may still be running the first, broken version I posted? The one currently linked should work fine.

Re: Back to stock method, I will set up a rooted recovery, someone who has not yet flashed this kernel can flash the rooted recovery, then from there use adb to dump stock kernel, from there I can put together a return to stock package easily :)

Read through Chainfire's link about the flash counter, well, I agree with him that it's not worth it to develop a method working on GB when it will work out of box on ICS, probably easier to wait :) Would require some modification of the mmc driver to allow access to the hidden partitions.

Last edited:

sweetboy02125

Aug 16, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
@sweetboy02125:

Did you install Superuser prior to running that? You can try to update the su binary from there and see if that works. You may still be running the first, broken version I posted? The one currently linked should work fine.

Re: Back to stock method, I will set up a rooted recovery, someone who has not yet flashed this kernel can flash the rooted recovery, then from there use adb to dump stock kernel, from there I can put together a return to stock package easily :)

Thanks. I did install superuser 1. I think i root with your latest post. But anyway. I don't see anything unusual after that error. Still be able to uninstall ton of att craps. Anything i should care about?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA App

Last edited:

pattmyn

Apr 12, 2011
Northern Ontario
Any idea on the Canadian version?

So far it's looking like all the LTE versions of the Note use the same kernel, just have carrier specific ROMs so it SHOULD be okay. I'm holding off for a bit because Da_G and I are working on a way for me to dump the stock Bell ROM for community "Oh S***" purposes, so if I flash the kernel now, it won't be the stock ROM/Kernel incase someone ever had to go back to 100% stock.

bsw11

Aug 29, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
alphabase.com
NEVERMIND - It finally worked!
Also helped to run Odin on my PC :)
Need some help -

1 - When I power off and then do the Vol - Dn - Pwr, after about 5 secs I get the screen but it only stays on for 2 secs or less- I can't seem to get past that.

2 - My W7 shows a USB error when the battery starts to show at power off.

Do I have my USB connected as I power up or not?

Where do I put the files I downloaded?

Stick the provided pda.tar in the PDA box of Odin3 1.85, flash away! - Means pretty much nothing to me.

I have an Infuse for over a year - rooted, Romed etc etc - for some reason I am having a issue getting started.

Please help - I will be grateful. :)

Last edited:

bkeaver

Need some help -

1 - When I power off and then do the Vol - Dn - Pwr, after about 5 secs I get the screen but it only stays on for 2 secs or less- I can't seem to get past that.

Stick the provided pda.tar in the PDA box of Odin3 1.85, flash away! - Means pretty much nothing to me.

I have an Infuse for over a year - rooted, Romed etc etc - for some reason I am having a issue getting started.

Power down your device and after it powers down hold the volume down button and then plug your data cable in. Then it will ask you to press the power up key to enter download mode

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

bignate78

Mar 30, 2011
Thousand oaks, ca
Need some help -

Well if you've had the infuse and flashed roms and such you should know how to get into download mode. Thus saying you Must be unplugged then hold volume +/- Then plug in. That will put into download mode.
2. Have you never used Odin? There's a spot where it says PDA and that where you put the PDA.tar then flash.
If you don't know what your doing (which you should considering you've most likely done this with the infuse) read and Follow directions or wait for a video.

People are getting way too ahead of themselves and are gonna brick their phones with no unbrick method yet.... calm down people this thing just came out!!

Big Dogg Infuse I997 ZeusB5 ICS!

Reactions: Corvette Dave

keplenk

Aug 27, 2008
This is great news and a great start for the note.

Thanks OP, Awesome.

However, I have a question regarding the flash counter. This is the first time I'll be buying an Android Device (the old ones were just given with warranty already expired, so I didnt care about those flash counters before). As we know, its quite expensive $299 and it would be a pain that when/if something fails, that amount of money goes to waste as well.

But .. I will still take the risk of rooting it anyway.

My question is, will there be (in the future) a rooting method that will not add flash counters on the Note? Or will there be a method that resets those flash counters so that if thing fails, you wont have warranty issues?

Sorry for being a noob.

Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi!

This kernel enables custom boot animations (/system/media/sanim.zip), adb root, init.d support, runs a script to auto-root your /system partition, and then you're on your merry way :)

You may need the USB Drivers available here. (Support & Downloads for SGH-I717)

Once the USB Drivers are installed, power off the phone, then hold volume down and power it on, you'll get a screen asking you to hit vol up to continue, do so. This puts the phone in download mode.

Stick the provided pda.tar in the PDA box of Odin3 1.85, flash away!

Install Superuser from the market after booting.

Note that this will increase your flash counter, which is presumably used by Samsung as a reason to decline warranty service (not aware of any reports of this occuring yet...?)

Don't forget the donate link in my signature if you found this useful and want to motivate me to work on overclock/undervolt ;)
    More than likely not, due to the bootloader revision.. however since my counter is already up in the dozens I can look at putting some time into finding where the counter is stored, so that we can wipe it at will ;)
    Ok, it was a simple typo in the root script that prevented su and busybox from being installed properly, oops! :)

Fixed now in the first post, back to regularly scheduled programming.. look for Overclock/Undervolt soon ;)
    +1

I'm interested in a root method for the ota update. I don't really care about tripping the counter, and I'm not wanting to flash roms on this phone (it's my wife's), I just want to debloat and enable gtalk video chat over 4G.

Odin and USB drivers are in the first post.

1. Flash the odin version of this via Odin
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=24505604

2. Download this to your sdcard then reboot to recovery and flash this.
    http://download.chainfire.eu/204/SuperSU/CWM-SuperSU-v0.94.zip

There you go. Stock rooted

Sent from A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER!
    @goalcam:
    The kernel is built from AT&T source. I haven't examined the Canadian source yet, I'll take a look and see if it'll work.

@bkeaver:
    Appreciated! :)