I've seen many posts by people struggling to get this to work and the common reply to date has been to persevere and it will eventually work. Notto has put together this, his shot at a detailed explanation of how to set up the vertical battery widget using Minimalistic Text with screen shots.
How to set up minimalistic battery widget
1. Download minamilisticText widget from the market
2. Touch the plus in the top right hand corner of your home screen (the add widget button) and select the 1x5 vertical widget
3. This will take u into the settings screen for the widget. It will always be in vertical screen. Do not change any of the settings, just hit back and go back to the home screen. Make sure the widget appeared. It should show the time in text sideways.
4. Then tap on the widget and go back into settings. (I know this sounds stupid but trust me, changing the settings right away can screw it up)
5. Set up the settings, this is the hard part everyone has trouble with
Name - change it to whatever, I chose BatteryVertical
Background - uncheck show background. This will give it a transparent look
Widget direction - left to right
for the other three under orientation make sure their all the same with center selected
Predetermined layout - select custom
1. First you want to long hold on the three boxes in the first row, one at a time. After selected a trash can will appear, drag and drop and the box will be remove. It should just be one row with nothing in it at this point.
2. Then you want to click on the second button on the right, the green add button, not the plus sign. This will add another row. You want to press this 9 times. This will give you a total of 10 rows. If you want 0% you can add that as well. The only difference is the extra row in this part and then font size.
3. Now you click on the plus sign on the right, this will pull up a menu. Click on the battery section on the bottom. Scroll over to battery level bar 100%. Put this on the top row. Repeat these steps for each of the battery levels. Put one % on each row, descending from the top.
Normal/Non accented - You want these both the same
Font family - default
Bold/italic - unchecked
Size - 30 for no 0 / 28 with
Case - normal
Color - white, just the default as white as possible
Use system cold - unchecked
Blur ratio - 0
Font family - default
Bold - checked
Italic - unchecked
Size - 50 without 0. / 48 with
Color - you can use whatever but I use FF118AEB under hex to match the system color as best as possible
6. Hit save
This is all you need to set up the widget, it works in both landscape and horizontal. Hope this works for all of you.