[Guide] Absolute Newbie's Guide to Rooting a Streak 7 that has Stock Honeycomb

270 posts
Thanks Meter: 31

By EwanG, Senior Member on 26th December 2011, 02:40 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
26th January 2012, 08:43 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I cannot even find the drivers.zip in step6. WIN7x64 and a brand new tmobile streak 7. where is this thing? I looked through all the folders and subfolders.

27th January 2012, 10:27 AM |#12  
OP Senior Member
Flag San Antonio, TX

Donate to Me
More
Drivers.zip is in the main directory of the Streak. Open up ES File Manager or a similar program and you should see it. To get it to your PC, attach the Streak via USB and let it mount as external storage (default behavior I believe).
27th January 2012, 10:12 PM |#13  

More
In my main directory on on my streak, using ES file explorer, i cant seem to find that file. I see acct, cache, config, d, ....etc folders, i scroll down, i see default.prop, init, init_recovery.rc, ...... var files, but i dont see drivers.zip. help I need to get honeycomb so I can use skype front facing camera, cause I understand froyo 2.2 can only use the back camera w skype.

Since this should be a common file for all SD7 units, can someone please email that file to me so i can get past step 6. [email protected]
28th January 2012, 04:03 PM |#14  
OP Senior Member
Flag San Antonio, TX

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cidand1

In my main directory on on my streak, using ES file explorer, i cant seem to find that file. I see acct, cache, config, d, ....etc folders, i scroll down, i see default.prop, init, init_recovery.rc, ...... var files, but i dont see drivers.zip. help I need to get honeycomb so I can use skype front facing camera, cause I understand froyo 2.2 can only use the back camera w skype.

From this I gather your Streak did not ship with Honeycomb. That would explain why you didn't find the file as that is something that I gather Dell added when they changed how they shipped it later on. I am not sure what the redistribution rules are for the file, which is why I haven't posted it myself.

That said, I also can't guarantee this process will work for someone starting with Froyo. I do know there may be an issue with which version of CWM you can use in that case. As such, you may want to check one of the other guides to be sure.
28th January 2012, 04:31 PM |#15  
Warren, MI
Thanks Meter: 157

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EwanG

From this I gather your Streak did not ship with Honeycomb. That would explain why you didn't find the file as that is something that I gather Dell added when they changed how they shipped it later on. I am not sure what the redistribution rules are for the file, which is why I haven't posted it myself.

Explain please? Shouldn't drivers be present no matter how it's shipped? Mine came with Froyo with drivers, I OTA'd to HC and I still have them.
28th January 2012, 08:31 PM |#16  

More
Ya I bought this from dell directly about 3 weeks ago. From what I have been reading on XDA, mine is definitely different. Its a tmobile streak 7.

Android 2.2.2
Kernel : 2.6.32.9
OEM ver: GLUNB1A133633
Build : 15420

Another thing I noticed is that even trying to load CWmod through fastboot, my computer does not recognize the DS7 in fastboot mode. The drivers in the fastboot+ADB zip file dont work on my computer as fastboot drivers (or maybe I should try another CPU). My cpu is an AMD 64; running win7 pro 64; i need some serious help.
31st January 2012, 04:41 AM |#17  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
I think I bricked!
Ok I followed the directions from here to root my tablet.

http://www.cesgeekbook.com/2011/12/r...eycomb-32.html

All went well! Everything worked and I was rooted! did the Superuser7. Clockwork came up and installed. All went right! So I was pleased. I figured I would later than put on a ROM cause it was late. Well was going to do so and tried to go into clockwork via ROM manager. Didn't work! Kept rebooting! So I figured I would try the pother way "Press Power and +" then click to Install from SD Card to go into Clockwork. That didn't work either! Then Now it won't reboot at all! I can get into fastboot and I can get into the bootloader. But that's it! I tried to do a Factory Reset and nothing! it just stays on the Dell boot screen. Anyway to fix the problem? If so, please give me step by step directions on how to do it.
31st January 2012, 08:07 PM |#18  
OP Senior Member
Flag San Antonio, TX

Donate to Me
More
Use of ROM Manager is generally discouraged due to unknowns about how the package will work with other ROMs. It also isn't clear to me which version of CWM you were using.

If you can get into fastboot, then you should still be able to use ADB, and I would suggest trying to reinstall CWM as indicated in the first message of this thread. That way at least you should be at a known good spot for us to try and help you get a custom ROM installed.
1st February 2012, 12:37 AM |#19  

More
Quote:

Use of ROM Manager is generally discouraged due to unknowns about how the package will work with other ROMs. It also isn't clear to me which version of CWM you were using.

If you can get into fastboot, then you should still be able to use ADB, and I would suggest trying to reinstall CWM as indicated in the first message of this thread. That way at least you should be at a known good spot for us to try and help you get a custom ROM installed.

Didn't know about the Rom Manager issue. I guess it's only good to use on cell phones? Anyway, I am trying again, but the problem is my laptop is now not reading the tablet when in fastboot mode. I have followed all the step again. Including reinstalling the drivers. But since it's not reading the tablet. I can not reinstall CWM. The version I installed was the one from the 1st page. It's a fairly simple thing to do. But just need to get the device to be read by my laptop.

I have contacted Dell and explained to them the problem. They did say that I can return it to get it fixed. but still kind of hoping I can do it from home.
1st February 2012, 04:19 AM |#20  
OP Senior Member
Flag San Antonio, TX

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelous0ne

Anyway, I am trying again, but the problem is my laptop is now not reading the tablet when in fastboot mode. I have followed all the step again. Including reinstalling the drivers.

Not sure what you mean when you say the laptop is not reading the tablet in fastboot mode. When in fastboot it should NOT show up as attached storage. The best way to tell if it is "really" seeing the Streak 7 is in step 13 - which uses an id rather than a device name so that it should work even if the tablet isn't fully identified. If you try to perform step 13 while in fastboot, what message are you getting?
1st February 2012, 08:46 AM |#21  

More
Quote:

Not sure what you mean when you say the laptop is not reading the tablet in fastboot mode. When in fastboot it should NOT show up as attached storage. The best way to tell if it is "really" seeing the Streak 7 is in step 13 - which uses an id rather than a device name so that it should work even if the tablet isn't fully identified. If you try to perform step 13 while in fastboot, what message are you getting?

Once I put it into fastboot and it starts to install the fastboot drivers. It won't! I keep getting a notice that unsuccessfully did so.

When doing step 13. when I put in the code. it just says <waiting for device> like it's doesn't see it! see below!

Not sure why it's not working! Unless it's user error on my part. But as I said I followed the directions.

EDIT!: After sitting and reading a while. I figured out what I believe the problem was. The USB port I was using. Cause when I switched ports. All started to work. Don't know why, but it did! I got it up and running! So I am happy!
The Following User Says Thank You to Marvelous0ne For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Marvelous0ne Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android, root, streak 7

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)