[Keep it Civil]Tegra3 & Other Tablet Soc discussions/spec comparisons. Tablet ONLY!

Search This thread

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
Good find....

quote from the article:

"If this really is the first sign of a GPU enriched Exynos 4412 SoC the question remains if it's only Samsung that simply is running tests on it's new system processor or if it actually will turn up a Galaxy Note 10.1 on the market with this more powerful SoC under the hood. When Samsung launches their first high resolutioned tablets this would have been a suitable SoC to introduce. The company is still expected to run with the new Exynos 5 series in their Galaxy Tab 11 with a 2560 x 1 600 pixel resolution so there is still som questions waiting to be answered.
Our sources tells us that there are no signs that the results that has been published at Rightwares database are false or faked, something that the application has several solutions for detection of. This is probably the first indication on what we can expect from the next generation of mobile GPU's. We can hardly wait."

That makes me skeptical in a sense... Mali 604 was originally designed to be included with Exynos 5...

If GNote 10.1 does get Mali-604 with Exyno 4 quad.... it makes you wonder why they aren't simply releasing the Note 10.1 with 1080p+ resolution. Why wait for 11 in. tablet??

Following apple sales model of milking Money out of people. they will call the high res. One an upgrade and charge alot more

shinzz

Dec 18, 2011
Following apple sales model of milking Money out of people. they will call the high res. One an upgrade and charge alot more

Lol, sorry but Asus is doing the same thing with Prime and Infinity Pad 700.

Anyways, Samsung isn't following Apple model in tablet market. If so, they wouldn't be releasing multiple tablets with varying forms (7, 7.7, 8.9, 10, and 11in.) & prices....

Honestly, Samsung is using or betting the same tactic/strat they used in smartphone market. The only difference so far... Samsung doesn't have a "go to" or "flagship" tablet to the degree of Samsung Galaxy smartphone brand. And yes, this tactic/strat does annoy me.....

Btw, Toshiba Excite 10 (with Tegra 3) got lambasted in latest reviews for poor Battery Life...

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...et-the-name-fool-you-its-just-another-tablet/

quote: "Then there's the question of battery life - it isn't horrific, but considering the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (original) gets roughly nine hours of battery life in a similar size chassis, six-ish hours is definitely on the weak side."

Both are using 25wH battery. The only difference is Excite 10 uses DDR3 RAM, and Prime uses DDR2...

htcplussony

Aug 26, 2008
Really can't see what Apple did was so wrong

I mean the new ipad got a better camera, more ram, gpu got a big boost to go along with that quad resolution display and they kept it at the same price.

The galaxy tab 2 series on the other hand for slightly less $, you only get more storage and the soc change really only resulted in the cpu getting neon.

shinzz

Dec 18, 2011
Really can't see what Apple did was so wrong

I mean the new ipad got a better camera, more ram, gpu got a big boost to go along with that quad resolution display and they kept it at the same price.

The galaxy tab 2 series on the other hand for slightly less $, you only get more storage and the soc change really only resulted in the cpu getting neon.

I agree.. it's just the hype, marketing, and high expectation that comes with Apple. You can make the same argument with Samsung's latest press event for SG III....

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
Lol, sorry but Asus is doing the same thing with Prime and Infinity Pad 700.

Anyways, Samsung isn't following Apple model in tablet market. If so, they wouldn't be releasing multiple tablets with varying forms (7, 7.7, 8.9, 10, and 11in.) & prices....

Honestly, Samsung is using or betting the same tactic/strat they used in smartphone market. The only difference so far... Samsung doesn't have a "go to" or "flagship" tablet to the degree of Samsung Galaxy smartphone brand. And yes, this tactic/strat does annoy me.....

Btw, Toshiba Excite 10 (with Tegra 3) got lambasted in latest reviews for poor Battery Life...

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...et-the-name-fool-you-its-just-another-tablet/

quote: "Then there's the question of battery life - it isn't horrific, but considering the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (original) gets roughly nine hours of battery life in a similar size chassis, six-ish hours is definitely on the weak side."

Both are using 25wH battery. The only difference is Excite 10 uses DDR3 RAM, and Prime uses DDR2...

that's on Toshiba...lol. remwber prime still rated over 10hrs-11hrs w/o the dock. 16-18hrs. with dock. ..which I easily get. before the Acer dropped, prime held the best battery life of any android tablet for like 6months. Toshiba always known for having less than stellar battery life. the Toshiba thrive a perfect example. that's on Toshiba if they can't figure out how to get great battery life.

shinzz

Dec 18, 2011
that's on Toshiba...lol. remwber prime still rated over 10hrs-11hrs w/o the dock. 16-18hrs. with dock. ..which I easily get. before the Acer dropped, prime held the best battery life of any android tablet for like 6months. Toshiba always known for having less than stellar battery life. the Toshiba thrive a perfect example. that's on Toshiba if they can't figure out how to get great battery life.

Eh, 11 hrs? I'm pretty sure it is more around 9 to 9 & 1/2 hrs. Samsung, with original Galaxy Tab 10.1 got roughly 9 hrs (that's with Tegra 2)...

You have made multiple comments or gave a notion that TEGRA 3 gives exceptional battery life. While it does with tablet such as Transformer Prime, I'm just pointing out that there are tablets with poor battery life with Tegra 3 as well (Toshiba Excite 10). We witnessed exactly the same thing with Tegra 2 era (some did well.. some did extremely poorly). My final point... TEGRA 3 didn't substantially improve battery life performance as you typically state or give impression as (you make it as if 4+1 tech. by Nvidia gave incredible/amazing/legendary battery life improvement over previous generation). Did it improve? Yes, but.. marginally... is my argument.

Edit: Btw, I'm looking forward to playing/purchasing this game...

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...ode-2-is-heading-to-tegra-3-devices-tomorrow/

It's a shame they don't support Virtua Tennis for Tegra 3 devices yet.. sigh.

Last edited:

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
Eh, 11 hrs? I'm pretty sure it is more around 9 to 9 & 1/2 hrs. Samsung, with original Galaxy Tab 10.1 got roughly 9 hrs (that's with Tegra 2)...

You have made multiple comments or gave a notion that TEGRA 3 gives exceptional battery life. While it does with tablet such as Transformer Prime, I'm just pointing out that there are tablets with poor battery life with Tegra 3 as well (Toshiba Excite 10). We witnessed exactly the same thing with Tegra 2 era (some did well.. some did extremely poorly). My final point... TEGRA 3 didn't substantially improve battery life performance as you typically state or give impression as (you make it as if 4+1 tech. by Nvidia gave incredible/amazing/legendary battery life improvement over previous generation). Did it improve? Yes, but.. marginally... is my argument.

Edit: Btw, I'm looking forward to playing/purchasing this game...

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...ode-2-is-heading-to-tegra-3-devices-tomorrow/

It's a shame they don't support Virtua Tennis for Tegra 3 devices yet.. sigh.

oh yeah! I'm getting that also. there is a bonus if you have episode 1&2 you get extra bonus levels or something like that.

I'm still waiting on Bladeslinger..lol. Did you get that new Machinarium game yet. its really good on prime. great visuals, puzzles, and music score. its a beautiful game. virtual tennis would be sick if tegra3 optimized.. I hope they bring that Phantasy star game and Shenmue, like was rumored. they could also do a amped up tegra3 version of virtual fighter or Panzar Dragon(did Sega make that?). revive Altered Beast. that would be a hit. all new gameplay and graphics updated to take advantage of tegra3 power. seems like Sega only wants to focus on sonic. lol. sonic is good but more games would be better.

The Heist is a cool game also. good visuals. a rail shooter. I wish Rage would come to Android. the one like I have on my lpad. a really good rail shooter. seems like gameloft is Donna have a hit with Android & IOS versions of Nova3. looks like halo now in multiplayer modes. Warthog vehicles and everything.

Darkseider

Jun 15, 2010
So far the Exynos is looking really good but there is another that seems to have been forgotten about. The Ziilabs ZMS-40 which is a quad core Cortex A9 @ 1.5 Ghz and 96 programmable "Stemcell" media cores. Granted they have only made it to reference designs but it would be really interesting to see if this thing has any real bite. According to the Ziilabs website it has some impressive performance.

http://www.ziilabs.com/products/processors/zms40.php

Wonder if there are any real world tests of this thing out there?

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
the Nvidia GPU conference was this week. most interesting and impressive thing from mobile tech I've heard so far is Nvidia bringing the Worlds first Virtualized GPU. Massive amounts of gpu power any mobile device can harness through the cloud.
www.engadget.com/2012/05/15/jen-hsun-huang-announces-cloud-based-virtualized-gpu/

In other news, Apple is said to likely go back to using Nvidia gpu over amd. this reportedly will be in new generation of macpro laptops. seems like apple only wants the best, Nvidia ;)

Nvidia leading the technology revolution.

DDR4 memory coming to tablets...boost performance & battery life.
www.pcworld.com/article/255613/new_ddr4_memory_to_boost_tablet_server_performance.html

@shinzz. the reviews I'm reading on Toshiba tablet saying despite its downsides, its a great tablet.

LG optiUs 4X HD with tegra3 releases In June. it will sport the largest battery of any quad core phone. its a nice size and it'll be removable. tegra3 battery issue, solved ;)

Last edited:

shinzz

Dec 18, 2011
the Nvidia GPU conference was this week. most interesting and impressive thing from mobile tech I've heard so far is Nvidia bringing the Worlds first Virtualized GPU. Massive amounts of gpu power any mobile device can harness through the cloud.
www.engadget.com/2012/05/15/jen-hsun-huang-announces-cloud-based-virtualized-gpu/

In other news, Apple is said to likely go back to using Nvidia gpu over amd. this reportedly will be in new generation of macpro laptops. seems like apple only wants the best, Nvidia ;)

Nvidia leading the technology revolution.

DDR4 memory coming to tablets...boost performance & battery life.
www.pcworld.com/article/255613/new_ddr4_memory_to_boost_tablet_server_performance.html

@shinzz. the reviews I'm reading on Toshiba tablet saying despite its downsides, its a great tablet.

I didn't say anything negative about Toshiba tablet itself. Just pointing out or arguing against your claim of TEGRA 3 with great battery life in Android Tablets... battery life so great compared to previous generation of SoC/tablets due to 4+1 technology.

While 4+1 sounds cool and all, and it does improve from previous generation.... it isn't a great leap in improvement as YOU and Nvidia make it sound to be.

Btw, good luck with Apple actually getting Kepler GPU (if that is the one they are going after)....

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
Tegra3 tablet & smartphone dominance has begun! I warned people..lol

Screenshot_2012-05-24-18-48-08.jpg

Screenshot_2012-05-24-18-48-18.jpg

Screenshot_2012-05-24-18-46-19.jpg

Screenshot_2012-05-24-19-11-35.jpg

Screenshot_2012-05-24-19-15-07.jpg

Screenshot_2012-05-24-19-15-19.jpg

Screenshot_2012-05-24-19-07-29.jpg

Screenshot_2012-05-24-19-22-28.jpg

Screenshot_2012-05-24-19-26-06.jpg

Screenshot_2012-05-24-19-37-31.jpg

Last edited:

shinzz

Dec 18, 2011
Wow, I expected you go to ballistic with all the "Nvidia" PPT slideshow articles quicker. Again, all PPT & nothing else...

It's like Steve Ballmer expecting 500 million users to use Windows 8.
http://www.slashgear.com/ballmer-predicts-windows-8-users-to-reach-500-million-in-2013-23229495/

Anyways, Samsung.. based on latest ComScore controls 51% Android Marketshare.... so, that's 51% of non-Nvidia SoC in Android... & possibly rising in the future.

http://www.slashgear.com/comscore-pumps-android-to-51-market-share-01225500/

Also, the whole 30 Tegra 3 phone thing...

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...-of-2012-integrated-lte-modems-in-early-2013/

About half are projected to be budget phones (which is nice imo), but it'll also be released at a point when S4 quad krait & possibly Exynos 5 series will be dropping. Nvidia is hoping to compete with S4 quad, TI OMAP 5, Exynos 5 smart phones.... with both being on 28nm (Tegra 3+ is supposedly 32nm.. but still old tech.).

If you also account that majority of those budget smart phones are.. possibly created by Chinese OEMs.. most likely, we won't see them in the states. It's possible Sony (not really known for creating budge devices), Panasonic (most likely to be released in Japan only), ZTE (Chinese market), LG (known to use pretty much all SoC) & HTC will create Tegra 3+ smart phones.

The only good news or.. actually the rumor is Google releasing 7 in. budget tablet in June/July (and are hoping to sell 2 mil unit or so by the end of the yr).

http://androidandme.com/2012/05/tab...reach-600000-units-in-june-for-a-july-launch/

This is the only good thing that I got from the PPT & rumors....

Edit: Just a wish, but I'm hoping this thread or any thread about future SoC and etc would just die out...

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [Keep it Civil]Tegra3 & Other Tablet Soc discussions/spec comparisons. Tablet ONLY!

Out of all the new chips coming out, Tegra3 seen as the best.

www.androidauthority.com/qualcomm-s4-vs-nvidia-kal-el-vs-ti-omap-4470-vs-samsung-exynos-4212-26636/

[UPDATE] 4/20/2012

This week Nvidia has announced its newer Tegra3+ chips to be released that will have Icera voice over LTE radios in them. They will be called T3+. This will split off into the Wayne and Gray variants by Q3. The grey is the one THST will have the LTE radio. This makes nvidia the likely candidate and replacement for all tablets and mobile phones this year That was going to use Qualcomm S4 Snapdragon chip. Also once Q4 & Q1 of 2013 arrives, Tegra4 will be rolling out ;)

QUALCOMM just officially announced it won't be able to make demand this year for the S4 chip due to manufacturing processes involving the 28nm S4 chip. So most tablets and phones that were originally going to use that chip will have to use a a different one. This is were Nvidia will likely step in and take over. I posted the link to that qualcomm news in the infinity pad thread. Its all over the major tech sites now though, so take a look if you doubt that news.

This is the link to the new Tegra3 aka T3+ that will arrive shortly.
    http://www.slashgear.com/nvidia-teg...feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+slashgear+(SlashGear)

MORE NEWS. Nvidia plots mobile SoC GPU plot and easily expect to surpass Xbox360 performance by 2013-2014
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/5762/...c-gpu-performance-surpassing-xbox-360-by-2014

DISCLAIMER: This is for people who like Asus/Nvidia/Tegra3 or beyond. Not for the haters of any of those to try to bash them. IF you want to debate, ok but act civil in doing so. Name calling and such isn't being civil and person or persons will be dealt with accordingly. Don't have time for childish back & forth nonsense.
    There should be alot of Tegra 3 devices in 2012. Smart Phones and Tablets.

Per the CEO in their Nov 10th Earnings Report Q & A

I'm more confident in the Tegra 3 at this point than I was in the Tegra 2 at this point a year ago. We have alot more design wins. We're better at it. We have alot more engineers. We are engaging with alot more customers...

... Tegra 3, is pretty unambiguous. I feel more confident today than I did on the Tegra 2 cycle. ...
    I suppose I'll pop in with my unresearched uneducated garbage :D

I think it's easy to agree that Teg3 in phones is certainly shaping up badly and isn't going to take off. As mentioned, we'll see what happens with the Teg3+; certainly it would do better if they did reduce it to 32. But it still isn't going to pull as much weight as whatever Apple/Samsung are using in the phone market and also as mentioned, that is going to be the largest revenue and sales numbers for SoC's. Teg3 IMO is indeed king of the tablet market, for both power and battery consumption (disregarding the reader-tablets), the only thing really holding it back is the decision to couple it with terribly slow internal flash memory and not include the use of better RAM. Why they're putting the good RAM in the more discount tablet I'll never know.

Anything at all you buy is going to be obsolete in sixth months regardless, Teg3 took it a bit further, but I'm pretty hopeful for the next couple of generations of the Tegra line of SoC's.

For the time being this is still just fine, and not really rivaled by anything aside from other iterations from the same manufacturer. The Yoga from Lenovo I suppose, but it just seems silly to me and Lenovo lost my trust long ago. Decent company and usually decent products to a degree though, but it just feels like when I buy Lenovo, I buy more often than what is needed elsewhere (meaning replacing internal components or calling it a good enough time to upgrade). Of course I'm only referring to those tablets which will feature full keyboards, as though it's enough of the market.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using XDA Premium HD via my tethered HTC Vision
    this is my thread for Nvidia/Tegra3 news. No one asked all these other people to come in and basically bash the thread talking about how its a failure or this or that.

I am glad that you started this very informative and interesting thread, Kid.
    But I do not understand why, all of a sudden, the thread has to be a "yes men".
    You should know better that you will not get 100% of approval on your position regarding Prime and Tegra3.
    You should accept opposing points of view which are the engine for advancements.

And I also noticed that in a lot of threads that you did not start you jump into to bring your opinion. It is well accepted in general but invasive also because you want to be everywhere.

All members know, by now, that you are the best marketing agent for the Prime and its Tegra. Some disagree and the fact that you start a thread rightfully gives them the right to express their opinion. You do not like it, move on!!!!!!!!!!!!1

opinions are always welcomed along with opposing positions. The difference is when some come in ranting this opposing opinion with name calling, labels, or this or that, its unneccessary and crosses the line. I know how to keep my cool and not let it get to serious. Its some others who cant seem to keep cool about it.

As with any debate, they will be two sides or even more. both will state their piece. then both will go back in forth with arguments to validate their claim. All this is is a never ending debate. which is fine with me as long as people can act civil with a level of maturity that doesn't cross the line of normal debating. that's all there is to it. nothing more, nothing less. people don't have to be yes men, but they cant think that if they come with some opposing statement or argument that one wont be directed right back at them. Come on now. This debate hasn't reached a point to where one side has nothing more to say and accept the loss. If that time comes and its very obvious, then what can i say. Until then, the debate rages on. I would love to change the title to a more debatable topic of what chips you think are better and have facts or info to back up the claim(not sales figures Barry..lol). But the way people get heated lately, its a long shot.
    I just noticed what's underneath my avatar now...

Congratulations! You've helped quite a few people so well deserved. To those joining the party late, demandarin and I enjoy the debate. As forums go, I consider him a friend. Don't let our equal (and usually opposite) enthusiasm make you think we're flaming or disrespecting each other. He even made a guest appearance in the One X forum. ;)