Kies Mini Specifically for Vibrant... and JI6 update instructions from Samsung

Search This thread

Telanis

Nov 11, 2006
Canada
Kies mini force closing everytime...i connect my phone.... does anyone know the fix? All the drivers downloaded successfully.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App

You on Win7? Lots of people having that problem. Solutions:

1) The full UK version of Kies received a MASSIVE update today. It now works for this, no longer crashes the same way the mini version did.
2) Use a different computer with XP.

ULiAsuj10

Aug 17, 2009
Dallas
You on Win7? Lots of people having that problem. Solutions:

1) The full UK version of Kies received a MASSIVE update today. It now works for this, no longer crashes the same way the mini version did.
2) Use a different computer with XP.

Yes I do, windows 7 ult. Ill try reinstalling again..lets see what happens....

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App

nstratto

Oct 16, 2010
not recognized in Download Mode

For some reason my Vibrant doesn't seem to be recognized, but only in Download mode. I launch Kies Mini, follow the directions, enter Kies mode for USB when prompted. Kies recognizes the phone, offers an update, downloads the update then puts the phone into Download Mode. As soon as the phone goes into Download mode I get the notification from Windows
"USB Device Not Recognized"
Eventually, it seems the download times out and Kies fails the upgrade. Then it give me instructions for an Emergency Recovery. I follow those instructions but the pone is not recognized while in Download Mode.

I'm very tempted to use Odin3 to flash to the new JI6 firmware, but before I do something rash I figured I'd ask a couple of questions.

Has anyone seen this error before and found a solution to get the phone recognized in Download mode?

Odin3 doesn't recognize the phone in Download Mode either, but it does recognize if I connect in Debug Mode.
Has anyone flashed firmware using debug mode rather than Downlaod mode?

As much as I want the new firmware, I want to have a usable phone even more.

rocketragz

Oct 9, 2010
had the issue with mini kies not recognizing my phone. tried the debugging method and it worked. so far so good.

Gigamaster89

Sep 12, 2010
Just updated first after waiting 3 days for OTA. At first Kies didn't detect phone but that's because I've never sync'd my phone before. Went into mass storage, drivers got installed, then went back into Kies mode and it detected just fine.

Started update process, took a 5 min nap, woke up to see a Galaxy S screen, shat bricks, went back to sleep, woke up, bam, JI6 :)

Blown 89

Aug 10, 2010
Kies tells me "Firmware Version: Unregistered Device"

Called Samsung and sat on hold for an hour after their level 1 support couldn't help. Does anyone have any idea how to solve this because it's apparently that Samsung has no clue what's going on. I'm on JI5....phone is registered on Samsung.com

Coniglio

Aug 27, 2010
I am on Step 3: Configuring Device/Driver Install but it seems that there is something that the computer is not able to instal...

MTP USB DEVICE...

What can I do :S!

kangxi

Jun 10, 2010
Orlando
Kies tells me "Firmware Version: Unregistered Device"

Called Samsung and sat on hold for an hour after their level 1 support couldn't help. Does anyone have any idea how to solve this because it's apparently that Samsung has no clue what's going on. I'm on JI5....phone is registered on Samsung.com
You need to flash back to stock. It is not going to recognize an uofficial firmware version.

Coniglio

Aug 27, 2010
I've seen that I gotta use USB Debugging, dunno if thats right cause there's a red sign on the top of my phone.

At the moment the software is downloading the update, let's see what happens :/

jblade1000

Jul 19, 2009
just wanted to say, after trying the "Force OTA" method to no avail, i went ahead with the kies mini method. i had to try every usb port on my computer and every combo of kies mode vs usb debugging but it finally worked. Downloaded binaries, flashed the firmware and then much like everyone else there was this anxious awkward pause at the Samsung Galaxy S screen and i timed it, 9 minutes 36 seconds of "OMG i bricked it". it finally booted up and all was good, no data loss or anything like that. it appears i lost root. and one last thing....jeez i forgot how much redundant crap/bloatware this thing came with...going to root right now

N8ter

Sep 1, 2010
just wanted to say, after trying the "Force OTA" method to no avail, i went ahead with the kies mini method. i had to try every usb port on my computer and every combo of kies mode vs usb debugging but it finally worked. Downloaded binaries, flashed the firmware and then much like everyone else there was this anxious awkward pause at the Samsung Galaxy S screen and i timed it, 9 minutes 36 seconds of "OMG i bricked it". it finally booted up and all was good, no data loss or anything like that. it appears i lost root. and one last thing....jeez i forgot how much redundant crap/bloatware this thing came with...going to root right now

It doesn't come with much at all. TeleNav and GoGo are the only real offenders.

Maybe I'm just fortunate that I use Facebook, Layar, and watch the free VoD channels occasionally on T-Mobile TV?