[Q] How to deal with user profiles on Android tablet?

Search This thread

abufrejoval

Dec 26, 2010
Frankfurt
An Android smartphone is personal (like your wallet). My Android phone goes where I go, it's mine, I don't pass it around or keep at least one eyeball locked on it if I do. It's like an expensive watch which I protect physically.

While I'm waiting for my Adam tablet I keep wondering: How will I manage it? A tablet really seems more of a family device. I'll pass it around, it may spend most of its time in the living room, like a magazine or a book, ready to be picked up by everyone: Kids, in-laws, visitors.

Chances are, I'll leave it at home to be torn apart by kids and wife, when I drive to work: I already carry my smartphone and my laptop. I might take it along for a business trip, just like a book or a DVD, but when I leave the hotel room for lunch, it will be left behind, while my smartphone will tag along, hopefully sync'ed with all the latest restaurant and sight-seeing info, street map data and e-mails I just collected on the tablet before leaving.

There are issues of personalization, privacy and data/application synchronisation and I wonder what the Android philosophy is in these cases:

1. Do they support the notion of user profiles, preferences, private data, credentials, so regular users of an Android device can have their "own" view on it? While I would want to show off my cool new gadget to just about everyone, I wouldn't want them to browse my e-mails or flip through my browser bookmarks.

2. Is there any idea on synchronizing more than just a minimal set of data manually between an Android smartphone and an Android tablet? Perhaps with a cloud as intermediary?

3. Can private data be encrypted and protected? Actually I'd want the tabelt to detect the presense of my smartphone and serve as a smartphone extender when it does. It could mean things like easy-lock up (unless somebody else is using the device), automatic sync'ing or auto-mounting smartphone storage/data/applications. It should still open up, when my smartphone is not present, using perhaps a somewhat more extensive authentication procedure. But without some kind of authentication all my personal data must be safe and encrypted from any prying eye.

redsteelhorse

Jun 10, 2011
there's a how to

There are instructions on how to set up encrypted user profiles. I'm using it on my Nook Color. xda-developers won't let me post the link because I'm a new member. Go to LTRConsulting dot com and click on the howto link.