HP Touchpad running Ubuntu Touch

Search This thread

daentech

Aug 13, 2010
I tried flashing it in TWRP, but it couldn't open the RootFS zip. Having flashed evervolv, I flashed CWM then the RootFS and it has worked fine since then.

Reactions: StephenMilone

taylorcoffelt

Mar 7, 2013
Apology

jshafer817,
I apologize for the offense caused by my posting in this thread; my intended purpose was to be informational about this alpha build, but I can see that I missed that objective, and made myself look like a fool by unintentionally insulting your work.
I will remove the offensive post if you so desire.
Sincerely,
taylorcoffelt

Sledge007

Mar 17, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
taylorcoffelt: It's an alpha.. . If you do not know what alpha means, you shouldn't be reading this thread. I cannot believe you typed all that..

If you recommend that you shouldn't install an alpha because of problems.. Why in the hell are you on this thread? That would be like when I begged my neighbor who had Windows Chicago 4.0, and then went to him to complain about the bugs... Get it?

I'm kind of glad he typed that out, and (he) basically said, if you aren't interested in helping iron out the bugs, then don't install it. I've installed quite a few ALPHA things before, knowing that they could be buggy, but I also did my research to see if it was worth installing or not. So while it might have not been a useful post for you, it was for me.

FWIW, some people will install Alphas regardless of what problems are existant, just to check it out....and if they don't like it....they simply delete it until it gets worked out. So in all honesty, his comments will probably save you some grief from potential people that install it, and then cry about all the broken things, so you can probably thank him for doing you a favor.

I'm not going to help test it, but I will keep my eye on this thread and watch the progression. Good luck.

By the way.....there are 6 people that thanked taylorcoffelt's post, including myself. That's 6 people's problems that you don't have to deal with, 7 if you count the OP.

Last edited:

kicker22004

Mar 28, 2008
OnePlus 9 Pro
Ok this thread went off course lol. Anyways OP i took the time to look into the screen size issue for you (assuming you haven't gotten it fixed already) just change the android build.prop ro.sf.lcd_density=160 to read 149 instead... Perfect now. i'll be looking into the keyboard next as it's still off. Just thought i'd try and help.

Update: After looking into a few things i think i know how to get the keyboard resized. However i'm tired tonight so i'll look into it tomorrow.

Last edited:

jshafer817

Jul 11, 2010
NRH, TX.
www.onsitedentalsystems.com
jshafer817,
I apologize for the offense caused by my posting in this thread; my intended purpose was to be informational about this alpha build, but I can see that I missed that objective, and made myself look like a fool by unintentionally insulting your work.
I will remove the offensive post if you so desire.
Sincerely,
taylorcoffelt

Naa its cool man.. That bold just rubbed the wrong way.. :D Thought I would give you a piece of my mind.

abhi.eternal

Jan 25, 2011
Bangalore
abhijeetdeb.com
Great going. I love Android, but I want something different on TP. Ubuntu Touch to the rescue!!

AFAIK this version won't do much even when everything is sorted, right? I guess mostly are pre-built widgets and stuff. Any idea if it is Ubuntu who is release the customization option for the default stuff like contacts etc. or is it to be done by the community? I would love a fully functional Ubuntu OS on my TP. It would be awesome if it can run Android apps - is it possible?

Also, how much free space is needed? I have a 16 GB model. Thanks. XDA rocks!!

jshafer817

Jul 11, 2010
NRH, TX.
Great going. I love Android, but I want something different on TP. Ubuntu Touch to the rescue!!

AFAIK this version won't do much even when everything is sorted, right? I guess mostly are pre-built widgets and stuff. Any idea if it is Ubuntu who is release the customization option for the default stuff like contacts etc. or is it to be done by the community? I would love a fully functional Ubuntu OS on my TP. It would be awesome if it can run Android apps - is it possible?

Also, how much free space is needed? I have a 16 GB model. Thanks. XDA rocks!!

Ubuntu still has a long way to go to produce something usable.. It's more just to say we did... And to check it out. That is about it. I think it's going to be a nice product.

kicker22004

Mar 28, 2008
OnePlus 9 Pro
Quick update guys. Wasn't able to do much yesterday. I was fighting with AT&T most the day because my net is down. No tech until the 18th, so for now i'm tethering off my Gnex, if i find a fix to the keyboard i'll probably leave a guide for the OP to add it in. Also i did notice that the text at 149 dpi is perfect....but after a reboot it goes back to jiberish, The only way to get it good again is to flash the First zip with the dpi change in it. This got me thinking that that script is only looked at once for first load. I could be very wrong but for now i'm going to assume that it true.

Reactions: blmvxer

jshafer817

Jul 11, 2010
NRH, TX.
Quick update guys. Wasn't able to do much yesterday. I was fighting with AT&T most the day because my net is down. No tech until the 18th, so for now i'm tethering off my Gnex, if i find a fix to the keyboard i'll probably leave a guide for the OP to add it in. Also i did notice that the text at 149 dpi is perfect....but after a reboot it goes back to jiberish, The only way to get it good again is to flash the First zip with the dpi change in it. This got me thinking that that script is only looked at once for first load. I could be very wrong but for now i'm going to assume that it true.

Be sure to go to /etc/init.d/90userinit and remove the line that says cp /system/ubuntu-session /usr/bin/ubuntu-session

It will do that every reboot if you do not.. I think your just editing build.prop right? So it shouldn't matter...

JoshX

Jun 17, 2011
San Francisco
Be sure to go to /etc/init.d/90userinit and remove the line that says cp /system/ubuntu-session /usr/bin/ubuntu-session

It will do that every reboot if you do not.. I think your just editing build.prop right? So it shouldn't matter...

I've been playing around with the GRID_UNIT_PX in /system/ubuntu-session and found that a setting of 8 changes the density enough, so that the keyboard shows up fully on the screen.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• ubuntu-session.txt
    4.3 KB · Views: 95

kicker22004

Mar 28, 2008
OnePlus 9 Pro
Correct about the build.prop. thanks for the info in the keyboard.. Does it just change the keyboard or system wide? Also does it stick after reboot?.... And wondering about posting the entire Ubuntu folder located under /data/Ubuntu.... My net is out, you think it could help if others could dig in it?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 01:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

Oh side note... In that file you posted... Did you notice the HTC DNA line.... I find that interesting.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

daentech

Aug 13, 2010
Correct about the build.prop. thanks for the info in the keyboard.. Does it just change the keyboard or system wide? Also does it stick after reboot?.... And wondering about posting the entire Ubuntu folder located under /data/Ubuntu.... My net is out, you think it could help if others could dig in it?

I've just tried JoshX's change and it changes the resolution system wide. It also sticks after reboot for me. I don't know if it's the combination with the LCD density set in the build.prop, but the fonts seem to be fine consistently now, too.

It's worth noting that the change to GRID_UNIT_PX was in the else part of the statement rather than the tenderloin one. I missed that initially and couldn't work out why it wasn't working.

If it will help I can post my Ubuntu folder?

A couple of screenshots with the altered density. I prefer things smaller:

yCgJcrt.png

Gcf7PEh.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Sine. and Sl@nzer

kicker22004

Mar 28, 2008
OnePlus 9 Pro
Wierd that just changing the Build.prop corrected the size then... mine was perfect like the screenshots..... it goes back to my idea that the build.prop is only needed for first load... going to remove it and see if it loads up.

Zerosuit Connor

Mar 8, 2012
Sydney
Don't seem to have a keyboard, I have three user accounts that I don't have the password too, and I can't figure out how to turn it off aha. Will try to install again, just a quick question though, is there anyway to have run this and cm10 through moboot at the same time?

Edit

Flashed again, now just a black screen with no way to do anything -_-

Last edited:

icy_gt

May 11, 2012
tablet or phone

So is this the phone version or the tablet version? Or are they tha same thing?

modem_over

Jan 19, 2009
Don't seem to have a keyboard, I have three user accounts that I don't have the password too, and I can't figure out how to turn it off aha. Will try to install again, just a quick question though, is there anyway to have run this and cm10 through moboot at the same time?

Edit

Flashed again, now just a black screen with no way to do anything -_-

The password for the user accounts is the users first name.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THIS THREAD IS NOW OUTDATED. Page 17 and on contains information for Ubuntu Touch Saucy port.
    NEW THREAD ON THE WAY.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2426924

What works. Wifi+ADB+Touch.
    What doesn't work: Sound+Bluetooth. Bluetooth doesn't work yet in Ubuntu Touch, and Sound doesn't work with the Evervolv source. Camera.

Download these files.
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-to...c-demo/quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip Ubuntu Touch RootFS

Recovery Image.
    http://gdurl.com/A0mz/download

Put on your SDCARD and install in ClockWorkMod. You know.. when you first turn on the tablet, moboot loads.. you should see a menu for clockwork recovery mod.

EDIT: Oh yeah.. First do a factory reset in recovery mod, THEN install the zip files... The factory reset formats the cm-cache and cm-data partitions.. There are 3 partitions. cm-cache cm-data cm-system. Factory reset formats cache and data.. When you install the first zip, it formats the system partition. Then after that install the RootFS.zip that you downloaded from ubuntu... It extracts the RootFS to the cm-data partition, that you formatted. So it should be clean.

Reboot.

Enjoy!

Oh yeah.. Onscreen Keyboard is not sized right. Seems to be an Ubuntu bug... If your fonts are wrong. .reboot.. check out /system/etc/init.d/90userinit for the stuff I added.

thanks to the usual guys. JCSullins, Evervolv, Tigeris and litz and ompx in ubuntu-touch on irc. The wifi fix was an idea I got while stuck in traffic. Can't believe it worked.
    Oh yeah.. THANK YOU DR. MARBLE.

PS. I read somewhere you need at least 600MB of free space, AFTER you copy the files to the sdcard, for the extraction to go well...
    Installed on HP Touchpad

I have just finished installing this pre-pre-pre-pre-preview of Ubuntu Touch for the HP Touchpad!
    I figured from looking at the replies that I could help bring some clarity by outlining what this is, and how it is installed, as I found the first post confusing, and had to read through it several times to make sense of it.

First off, a "Thank You" and tip of the hat to jshafer817 (and the people whose code this port is based on) for making this happen relatively soon after the release of the developer code for the Ubuntu Touch for Tablets.

Okay, so I am here with my Ubuntu-Touchified HP Touchpad in my hand.
    I'll first tell you what's wrong with it.
    - The Keyboard
    The Keyboard is the wrong size. Oversized, lengthwise, which means that you cannot see all of the keys. Or use them all. You can barely see the left edge of the Enter key, and as far as I can tell, you can forget about using the backspace key, or the letter "p". This makes it very difficult to use. In addition, the keyboard has been getting stuck on the screen, effectively covering up half of the screen and doing nothing when I type on it.​
    - The Text/Fonts
    Almost all the text on the screen is...messed up. Letters are missing pieces, mostly from the bottoms of each letter, but it's different amounts missing for each one. This makes everything on it a pain to read. Amusingly and oddly, numbers (such as the time in the right hand corner) seem unaffected.
    (Edit: noticed jshafer817's notice about fonts just now, somehow I missed it before. He suggests rebooting to fix the font issue.)​
    - The Screen
    The DPI looks like it should be scaled down a bit. I'm guessing that this is part of the fonts/text problem. Also, when I first started using it, it was fairly laggy, and wasn't responding to the touch input very fast. (I was running CM10 on it before)​
    - Bluetooth
    I'm not going to experiment with anything having to do with bluetooth for now, as jshafer817 has said it's not working​
    - Camera
    NO! Absolutely not! And I wouldn't expect it to. After all, we're still trying to get CM10 to play nice with the camera.​
    - Sound
    No Sound. At all. Not a peep. Also, all volume controls are missing, and replaced with the text "Empty!" (Microphone also does not work)​
    - The Buttons
    None of the buttons do anything, except for the power button. Sleep mode seems to work fine, except I'm not too sure about power drain.​
    - The Search Button
    The search button in the top left-hand corner doesn't respond when I tap it.​

Okay, so now for what does work:
    - Everything else. Or so it seems. Haven't had it crash, it launches apps fairly quickly, the browser works fine, the settings menu works as advertised. Having two apps on the screen at the same time is pretty cool, although you can't type "HP Touchpad" very well without the letter "p". WiFi worked right out of the box, (jshafer817, I hope you have more epiphanies like that. ;) )

Do I recommend that you install this right now?
    NO. I wholeheartedly do not.
    (Unless you want to help fix all of these problems and are capable of helping to fix them)

However, for those that do, this is how I did it:
    Download THIS FILE (UbuntuTouchPadAlpha.zip) first. This contains the formatting and Evervolv code to make your Touchpad ready for the SECOND FILE - (quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip)

INSTALLATION
    (Note: This will only work if you have MoBoot w/ CWM on your device. TWRP may work, but I haven't tested it.)
    (2nd Note: This may make your Touchpad blow up in your face, kill millions of Truffula trees, or pour excessive amounts of malt in your cat's milk dish. Use at your own risk.)
    So, once you have those files on the "SD Card" of your tablet, you then
    1. Make a Backup. (For the record, TWRP makes backups much faster than CWM)
    2. Double Check that you have made a backup. Copy it to another computer. Make sure it's safe.
    3. Reboot into CWM, and choose "factory reset"
    4. Do a "factory reset" again
    5. Install the FIRST file first using CWM (takes ~ 5 min.)
    6. Install the SECOND file using CWM (takes ~10 min. at least. Be patient.)
    7. Reboot, choose Evervolv at the MoBoot screen
    8. Wait for it to fail. It did for me, it may not for you.
    9. Reboot into CWM, and install the FIRST file AGAIN
    10. Install the SECOND file AGAIN
    11. Reboot.
    12. Be appalled at the Errors, finally understand why I did not recommend installing it, and then restore your CM10/CM9/CM7 backup, unless you understand how to fix the broken stuff.
    13. Report only *NEW* findings to whomever is working on the port. And expect that there will always be bugs. And yes, not all of the apps work. This is a developer preview, after all.

Thank you again, to jshafer817, Ubuntu and others for making this happen.
    Rotation is working correctly!

So I have working, sound (without pulse rebuild tomorrow) wifi, graphics, touch, and accelerometer\compass. I also can now run Suduko without apparmor (click apps) by changing .local/share/applications/*.desktop and remove aa-exec to remove the apparmor profile. This will one day change with upstart according to irc.. AND changing the cmdline to have apparmor=0

rotation is working.. but... it is oriented wrong.. I am going to change some kernel values in board-tenderloin.c and try to flip it there.

https://bitbucket.org/cyanogenmod/hp-kernel-tenderloin/commits/be2dc4932490 WORKS!

.poll_interval = 200,
    .min_interval = 10,
    .h_range = LSM303DLH_MAG_H_4_0G,
    - .axis_map_x = 0,
    - .axis_map_y = 1,
    + .axis_map_x = 1,
    + .axis_map_y = 0,
    .axis_map_z = 2,
    - .negate_x = 0,
    + .negate_x = 1,
    .negate_y = 0,
    .negate_z = 0,
    };
    if (machine_is_tenderloin() && boardtype_is_3g()) {
    lsm303dlh_acc_pdata.negate_y = 1;
    lsm303dlh_acc_pdata.negate_z = 1;
    + lsm303dlh_mag_pdata.negate_y = 1;
    + lsm303dlh_mag_pdata.negate_z = 1;
    }
    #endif
    #endif
    I made the changes in build.prop and the file containing GRID UNIT PX which seemed to fix fonts/keyboard issue, but changes didn't persist after a reboot.
    Overall touch response was a bit laggy and hit and miss but its a nice interface and full of promise.
    Doesn't seem a real goer for the tp tho without full dev support, which is a shame.
    Kinda understandable tho I guess ...

Just wait... that rom was phablet.. the new one is saucy...

I got touch, wifi working.. but then I messed up something.. =) sensorservice

Anyways.. just wait.
    Off to 3.0.8

EDIT TO POST. UNMOUNT PROC OUTSIDE OF CHROOT VIA USERINIT, AND NETWORK MANAGER WORKS WITHOUT FANOTIFY

Going to try a newer kernel to get wifi working. We need Fanotify in the kernel for the network manager to see the wireless. Has to do with proc mounted inside of a chroot and daemons having permission. Sad because once you run ubuntu_chroot shell to get in, you can run iwlist wlan0 scan...

Status Update Complete.

How to compile. Grab evervolv's device folder, but not his vendor folder.. grab hardware/qcom hardware/atheros and the compat-wireless from.. some folder.. forgot the name... I got these from evervolv's ubuntuphone branch for tenderloin.. (the kernel) and his build of android.

Those are the current sources.. May change.. Be sure to change ev.mk file to cm.mk, and change /vender/ev (inside of ev.mk) to /vendor/cm, ev.dependencies file to cm.dependencies....

JCSullins announced he will start work on JB. So that is cool. But.. 3.0.8 Kernel doesn't have working sound or bluetooth. Until someone figures that out with 3.0.8, Ubuntu-Touch and the Touchpad WILL NOT HAVE SOUND. (cough cough nag jcsullins cough cough).. That guy is the man to go to for that.

Backporting Fanotify is not easy. You run into having to change the msm code. (I ran into msm-watchdog.c) So much you might as well just go to 3.0.8.. I have an odd feeling that is someone were to backport it, sound would stop working....
    EDIT TO POST. UNMOUNT PROC OUTSIDE OF CHROOT VIA USERINIT, AND NETWORK MANAGER WORKS WITHOUT FANOTIFY

Backup you jellybean system folder to a tarball and then extract it somewhere.. Same with the Ubuntu Touch system folder.

(I was about to give up!)
    cp -R -f /jellybean/lib/* /system/lib
    cp -R -f /ubuntutouch/lib/* /system/lib
    cp -R -f /jellybean/etc/firmware/* /system/etc/firmware (my adreno firmware was missing, so this will fix that)

reboot.. and it worked.. merged libraries.

Fonts are not bad all the time..... Going to try this with 3.0.8 tonight.. If someone is bored today, give it a shot. Let us know how it works.

To brunch tenderloin I have to manually create out/host/linux-x86/bin and stick mkimage in there.
    go to vender/cm/vendersetup.sh and add add-lunch-combo cm-tenderloin-userdebug.. I think.

there is a mkimage in the ubuntu touch source.. I used that. /system/extras/mkimage.. it needs to be compiled gcc mkimage.c -o mkimage -lz
    then copy it cp ./system/extras/mkimage/mkimage ./out/host/linux-x86/bin no idea if this is required.

there are 2 bzr branch commands that need to be run.. google that.. Should be in Ubuntu Porting guide, but it's not. ubuntuappmanager library and some other library.
    edit: run this inside of the ubuntu touch source folder/ubuntu
    "bzr branch lp:phablet-extras/libhybris hybris" stupid smiles. =)
    "bzr branch lp:platform-api platform-api"
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=38745624
    dont forget to run extract-files.sh and get-prebuild, etc.

source build/envsetup.sh
    lunch (pick 14)
    brunch tenderloin

I bring over ts_srv and that other ts program from jellybean to ubuntu and currently add commands to /system/etc/init.d/90userinit to get stuff running.. Lazy, I am.

Confused? That is my rough draft guide.

A dude by the name of tigeris, or something that started with tig.. he helped me a lot on ubuntu-phone on irc. So did another guy named.. omxy.. I think... I will find them. Gotta go,