Different Performance Modes of Prime/Tegra3

Search This thread

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
I was thinking of starting a performance mode thread. To see different peoples results and thoughts on different power modes. I read some people post that they just use it in power/battery savings mode. Some keep it in normal all the time. Others in balanced mode. Would be good to see how these different modes perform in real life usage. From user perspective. How do the different modes perform for you? What have you noticed from switching between them?

I've noticed, so far, that In balanced mode, battery drains about 10% or a little less an hour. This is with nonstop use including gaming, watching vids, web surfing, etc. now in battery savings mode, it drains even less per hour. The UI still performs smoothly. Only main difference you immediately notice is that it drops the contrast ratio. So a soon a you press the battery savings tab, you will see it look like brightness went down a bit but it's actually the contrast ratio lowered. If you look closely, the display doesn't look a sharp as other 2modes. Display still looks good but not a sharp. I haven't ran normal mode long enough to see how it drains compared to others. One thing though, web surfing drains battery just as fast as gaming.

Plus I think the modes doesn't affect gaming or video playback performance. I read that somewhere, either anandtech or Engadget. When watching vids or playing games, it goes into normal mode. So those things won't be affected no matter what power mode you in, I think..lol not exactly sure. Any confirmation?

Last edited:

tylermaciaszek

Jul 1, 2011
Selden
I always keep in normal mode and I am more than happy with battery and performance. today I watched hangover 2 in 720p so that's 2 hours of playback played probably an hour of riptide an hour of cordy about an hour of all other games combined surfed XDA using opera and had textab running got 7 or so hours of battery

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
I always keep in normal mode and I am more than happy with battery and performance. today I watched hangover 2 in 720p so that's 2 hours of playback played probably an hour of riptide an hour of cordy about an hour of all other games combined surfed XDA using opera and had textab running got 7 or so hours of battery

I will try out normal mode more to see what kind of battery life I get. There was a brief period that I used it that it seemed to drain less than in balanced mode. I always put it on normal mode if I'm charging it up and using it at the same time. The prime charges up pretty fast also.

tylermaciaszek

Jul 1, 2011
Selden
I will try out normal mode more to see what kind of battery life I get. There was a brief period that I used it that it seemed to drain less than in balanced mode. I always put it on normal mode if I'm charging it up and using it at the same time. The prime charges up pretty fast also.
yeah it does charge really fast that is one thing i love i keep it in power saving mode alot and barely notice any performance issues

DaRacerz

Feb 9, 2008
NY
www.newnextgen.com
I tried both balanced and power saving mode but can't see a difference. If anything I believe balanced gives better life but have not tested formality. What are you guys getting?. Over two days with using standby I'm averaging what seems to be 7 hours or so. 13-15% an hour. Seems low based on what Asus claimed and what I've read from you guys. Maybe its true newness with installing apps and using it heavily?? I do not believe battery conditioning will make up that big of difference.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
I tried both balanced and power saving mode but can't see a difference. If anything I believe balanced gives better life but have not tested formality. What are you guys getting?. Over two days with using standby I'm averaging what seems to be 7 hours or so. 13-15% an hour. Seems low based on what Asus claimed and what I've read from you guys. Maybe its true newness with installing apps and using it heavily?? I do not believe battery conditioning will make up that big of difference.

its really dependent on what exactly you are doing while in each mode. like now for instance, I have 72% battery left on balanced mode. battery time shows 2 hrs and 54 mins. I've done basically nonstop web surfing here reading and posting in the forum. this goes with what I said before that it seems to drain 10% or a lil less per hr. I've achieved about the same even in normal mode. its weird cuz you'd think in normal mode it'll drain alot faster when I've noticed it only draining a little faster than balanced. like I said, I think no matter what mode you in, it really depends on exactly what you're doing and brightness level.

I have yet to really test battery/power save mode. because when you put it in that mode, it immediately lowers the contrast levels, if you haven't noticed. if not, try pressing power save mode and it'll immediately look like the screen dimmed a lil. it actually didn't and if you look closer you will see contrast levels dropped and display doesn't look as sharp and colors don't pop as much as other modes. almost cartoonish looking. display still looks good but not like when in balanced or normal. if you go from battery save back to another mode, you'll immediately see display switch back to high contrast level and colors pop again.

Last edited:

droidx2.3.3

Jul 11, 2011
Ive been keeping mine in balanced mode except for when i play certaingemes like shadow gun. I couldnt be happier with battery life.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using xda premium

Haro912

Jul 27, 2011
Pittsburgh
Used a good part of today. Mostly downloading apps, playing games, Web browsing, and xda a loooooot. Lol

uploadfromtaptalk1325149870167.jpg

I was in normal mode all day and turned ips on for about an hour or so.

Mithent

Feb 3, 2009
I tried both balanced and power saving mode but can't see a difference. If anything I believe balanced gives better life but have not tested formality.

It's believable that reducing the CPU's max clocks could result in more power usage overall. It will still clock down and use the companion core in any mode (although a "turbo" mode that doesn't use it would be interesting for comparison), so the idle power consumption won't change. Reducing the maximum speed means it won't be able to use as much power at peak, but it may be forced to run at its (reduced) maximum speed for significantly longer, which uses so much more power than idle that the reduction in power from the lower frequency doesn't offset the increase in power from increasing the task length.

As an analogy, driving slower is more efficient than driving faster, because the faster you go, the greater the increase in power you need to maintain that speed (this is due to air resistance in cars, and the fact that power is proportional to voltage squared in CPUs). But that's only true up to a certain point: you don't get awesome mileage if you drive everywhere at 10mph, because it takes so long to get anywhere you'd have been better getting there 5 times quicker and then turning the car off entirely.

Reactions: demandarin

tylermaciaszek

Jul 1, 2011
Selden
This is why battery life is so good in sleep mode lol how low the processor runs it's under 102mhz

Attachments

• P20111229090121.jpg
    P20111229090121.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 263

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
Used a good part of today. Mostly downloading apps, playing games, Web browsing, and xda a loooooot. Lol

View attachment 833624

I was in normal mode all day and turned ips on for about an hour or so.

that's great battery life for it to be in normal mode.

It's believable that reducing the CPU's max clocks could result in more power usage overall. It will still clock down and use the companion core in any mode (although a "turbo" mode that doesn't use it would be interesting for comparison), so the idle power consumption won't change. Reducing the maximum speed means it won't be able to use as much power at peak, but it may be forced to run at its (reduced) maximum speed for significantly longer, which uses so much more power than idle that the reduction in power from the lower frequency doesn't offset the increase in power from increasing the task length.

As an analogy, driving slower is more efficient than driving faster, because the faster you go, the greater the increase in power you need to maintain that speed (this is due to air resistance in cars, and the fact that power is proportional to voltage squared in CPUs). But that's only true up to a certain point: you don't get awesome mileage if you drive everywhere at 10mph, because it takes so long to get anywhere you'd have been better getting there 5 times quicker and then turning the car off entirely.

good point. I also think that's only the case if you put it in battery savings mode and try to do more CPU intensive tasks. I would think that if you put it in that mode and only do more simple or less CPU intensive stuff, we would definitely see the best battery life in that mode.

This is why battery life is so good in sleep mode lol how low the processor runs it's under 102mhz

is CPU Spy the name of that app?

Ha, that makes sense. I had 86% left and after being in sleep mode for a while my predicted battery life remaining is over 50 days. not too bad

have you found a good app that shows remaining time or usage left on battery life?

Last edited:

tylermaciaszek

Jul 1, 2011
Selden
that's great battery life for it to be in normal mode.

good point. I also think that's only the case if you put it in battery savings mode and try to do more CPU intensive tasks. I would think that if you put it in that mode and only do more simple or less CPU intensive stuff, we would definitely see the best battery life in that mode.

is CPU Spy the name of that app?

have you found a good app that shows remaining time or usage left on battery life?
Yes I used CPU spy!

ckoadiyn

Jan 23, 2010

This is false if it was true gas milage in town would be higher then it is a car is built to get best mpg at 55 mph while on the highway

Sent from my PC36100 using xda premium

BongoBong

Apr 10, 2011

using normal mode I would say I am getting something similar to the 13-15% per hour you are.getting. I haven't kept an exremely close eye on it but definitely using a.bit more then 10% per hour.

Kohawk09

May 17, 2008
Iowa
I've noticed a bigger swing in battery when adjusting screen brightness more than between power modes... I keep it on normal, brightness between 50 and 75, still get amazing battery life. Super ips requires sunglasses when in a dark room lol.

tylermaciaszek

Jul 1, 2011
Selden
I've noticed a bigger swing in battery when adjusting screen brightness more than between power modes... I keep it on normal, brightness between 50 and 75, still get amazing battery life. Super ips requires sunglasses when in a dark room lol.
Watching movie last night pitch black room brightness on full I was curious so turned on super IPS thought I went blind for a second

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ran some benchmarks on the three different modes, will post a video soon:

Quadrant
    Battery: 2191
    Balanced: 2884
    Normal: 3047

Smartbench:
    Battery Productivity: 2678
    Battery Games: 1635
    Balanced Productivity: 3562
    Balanced Games: 2825
    Normal Productivity: 4342
    Normal Games: 2921

Antutu
    Battery: 5436
    Balanced: 10104
    Normal: 10813

Caffeinemark:
    Battery: 4832
    Balanced: 9278
    Normal: 10046

So, biggest difference is between Battery and Balanced in most tests, smaller difference between Balanced and Normal.
    I tried both balanced and power saving mode but can't see a difference. If anything I believe balanced gives better life but have not tested formality.

I use battery monitor widget, can't use an android device without it
    If you check out the AnandTech review, he provides separate data for each performance mode in most of the benchmark tests he does
    anandtech.com/show/5163/asus-eee-pad-transformer-prime-nvidia-tegra-3-review
    This thread needed resurrecting as this is very relevant to peoples everday use of device.

here is my latest achievement in Balanced mode. I got over 20 hrs. & 30 mins. on a single charge. wifi was on since full charge n never turned off. Brightness at 15%. at night anything brighter hurt your eyes and during the daytime its still brighr enough to view easily. other than the few, less than 5, hrs. of sleep, the Prime has basically been nonstop with moderate to heavy usage. mostly web surfing(XDA and TransformerForums), looking at some vids, and messing with a few apps. the battery life on this device is amazing. even with constant heavy usage. having it in balanced mode shows no hiccups or decrease in performance. Balanced mode is truly the best of both worlds. add to it the most recent update to .33 and this thing smokes through the UI or anything you through at it.

lets continue the different findings or thoughts on the various performance modes and brightness combinations. as everyone sets up their Prime differently.