Make a Video Out cable from your ear plugs.

Search This thread

wayback32

Oct 2, 2008
howell, New jersey
what a charm

nice work, i got to hand it to you, i tip my hat to you i enjoyed that mob simple and easy with a little bit of time, and your tp will detect the tv out:cool:

romagnus

Nov 19, 2008
www.romangalysh.com
works great

this works perfectly. also if you open the keyboard then close it you can view anything on the phone on your tv. My kids enjoyed seeing themselves on the tv in video mode.

pooff

Aug 2, 2009
pretoria
aww gruys it is a awsum idea sure it works only problem is i dont have earphones and i cant seem 2 get them in cellphone shops... i tried with a standard usb and my phone didnt seem 2 evan pic it up dont know if i did someting wrong though

TheOne_

Mar 27, 2007
Just want to let you all know that it doesn't work on my Touch Pro2...
I'm guessing it has to do with removing pin 4, because now the phone doesn't recognize it anymore. Not even as a head-set...

iamwin

Sep 21, 2006
can someone make a version of this DIY tv out cable with Charging feature?:) thanks!

tamerhosam

Feb 12, 2009
Even CHEAPER :p

Thanx this is a really great post. :)
I was planning on buying a video out cable till i came across this post :).

To hopefully add on to this great thread.....

The original genuine HTC Headphones are very expensive from where I am from they might cost You +50$ and the genuine tv out cable +90$.

To make this very cheap i used:
1) A pair of cheap chinese htc immitation headphones -10$
(sound quality is very bad crackling and the headphones overheat in your ears!! blah blah... cons).

2) An intermediate quality RCA sheild for also -10$.

I cut the RCA cable at one end and pealed off insulation....

obviously...red = audio right
white = audio left
yellow = video out
3x brown = ground for each.

Then I cut the cheap htc compatible headphones right from under the mic....then Surprise!!!! :eek::eek:
Wiring is completely different from the Genuine htc headphone cable thought I was screwed...:( but with an avometer and some patience here is what I successfully came out with...:cool:

A)You will only find five wires all thin insulated
(like a coil wire) no black no white!

B) PINOUT of headphone to usb connector is as follows:

(1) RED wire
(2) BLUE wire
(3) Copper (yellow) wire
(4) PLZ REMOVE PIN FROM USB CONNECTOR and has no corresponding wire.
(5) RED+BLUE twisted wire
(6) GREEN wire

*Please refer to attached usb connector PINOUT image that I burrowed
from somwhere. :)

pinout.PNG

C) This is how I wired my RCA....

1- RED to Video +ve

2- BLUE to Audio Right +ve

3- Copper(yellow) to Video -ve

5- RED/BLUE twisted to left and right Audio -ve (audio ground).

6- GREEN to Audio Left +ve

*PLZ REFER to wiring 1 Image I attached below.

View attachment 321647

D) Wire 'em......Test 'em........Solder 'em.....Insulate 'em... and enjoy ur
Very cheap BUT!!... working TV out cable for your HTC.:cool::cool:

Hope I have added something and helped others to Confidently do this mod by
themselves :cool: :p

iamwin

Sep 21, 2006
i followed this method, and ive got my very own DIY tv out cable in a jiffy! :D very cheap since i used an imitation htc headset :)

cer7400

Apr 24, 2008
data cable instead of ear plugs

is it possible to use the original data cable?
it is ext usb but I don't know if every pin has an associated wire...
2 main advantages:
- extusb it is not required by data cable - a simple miniusb cable it is enough
- not everybody has a spare ear plug...

all-in

Jan 17, 2009
Greece
Hi,
1)I have tried your way but something goes wrong.First time i didnt see that i had to remove the pin but when i connected all the wires i was able to here music but no video,but as i was messing with the wires the video was trying to show up.

2)Then i saw your post and that i had to remove the fourth pin from the usb.I did so but now there is no sound or video.What i'm doing wrong i have attached 2 links please help me.

3)My RCA cable has WHITE,RED AND YELLOW wires.And i use my headphone Htc wire.

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/5455/wiresd.jpg
http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/7396/pinp.png
Thanks in advance Kostas from Greece

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2008
Hamilton
Just checking your photos now all-in...
Your photos seem a little confusing as you do not label what wires connect with what wire on the other end and therefore I cannot ensure you have made the correct connections.
I remember that the fourth pin had to be removed for the phone to believe that the cable was a tv out cable, so the pin had to be removed or you would only get the audio, however post 20 gives another method which involves a registry edit.
If I was you I would recheck the cables following the diagram and test it using the correct codes from the mini USB plug diagram (the last photo). This should fix your problem, the only other idea I had was an issue I came across earlier and that is I did not completely remove the pin, but the registry edit should solve this.
Hope this helps I know the photos you sent take a long time to do clearly so if you are keen and you still cant get it working make another photo showing what each ends of the wires are connecting to and I will have another look.

stormxbb

Nov 20, 2010
tp2

yes ill try to make one for the same reason. i have a 8 inch dvd in my car and needed garmin thru its aux in. I have the headphones. have to buy a rca cable now

aneespk13

Oct 13, 2011
Lahore
nice post . i am currently giving it a try . removing pin is v hard task for me though managed to remove it . will post success rate tomorrow . i have htc fuze (raph110)

kong007

Apr 12, 2012
htc touch pro(rapheal)

hi peeps im new to this site so pleas bear with me as i need help. i bouth myself an htc touch pro wm6.1 and realise the cool things you can do such as differants rom....ect
so i think i downloaded the correct rom wm6.5 as i wanted to upgrade but some how "when i plug my phone into the pc and it goes into the tri colours, it stops at 1% and tells me incorrect device with some error code i dont know"
Now i have done the part that tells me to HardSPL and works!!! so now im stuck with not getting wm 6.5:confused:

pleas help.........
or mail me lilrhee@rediffmail.com

12hemang

Apr 27, 2015
Need Help??

I cant Understand the connection shown in image. I am little bit confused that you have said u used htc earphone jack and connect with 3 pin rca cable.But u have mention about extUSb and finally output shown in fig has a usb Micro b port at end with Rca.So can u please provide Me complete detail of tutorial.I currently use 4 pole jack with three cable out with individual ground (i.e. y+g, W+g, R+g)and on other side same wire with individual ground .Provide me diagram/or tutorial video which can help me to short it out.

RafaelAdan05

Aug 2, 2017
I just want to clarify things. Is this for android? What is the use of the earphone? If this is for android does it need apps or something to work? Sorry for being ignorant. Thanks