{HOW TO] Replace Glass Only!

Search This thread

VirtueToVice

Feb 3, 2012
I do not know if this has been mentioned or brought up before, but I just wanted to let the G2 crowd know that if they want to go the cheaper route and replace just the digitizer on their G2, it is possible with patience! You will be separating the glass from the LCD with a little bit of heat and a lot of caution, so as not to bust that beautiful LCD that these things are packin'. As you all may already know, the front glass is the digitizer so it'll all be replaced and your touch will work again, without busting the bank! This should only be considered if you're a very handy person with some superfine motor skills.

All you really need is a steady heat source of around 200F. I use a griddle, similar to this
http://www.walmart.com/ip/16451315?...56276670&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=34449323470&veh=sem

Most people have one of these laying around in a cabinet.

Get on eBay and find the digitizer for the phone and some LOCA UV Adhesive. 10ML is way more than enough.

Take the phone apart, then lay the LCD/Digitizer face down on that griddle and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Use a razor blade to VERY CAREFULLY and slowly peel the glass back. You should see the glass separating from the LCD. Continue this and take your time until all of the glass is removed. Then clean the LCD. It takes some work, this glue is extremely sticky and the only thing I've found to completely remove it is Clorox Surface wipes. They're the kind that come presoaked with some kind of cleaner. Even those take a little elbow grease to completely remove the glue from the LCD surface. It should be shiny. A couple specs wont matter, the LOCA has proven to be great at hiding imperfections. Next you will remove the LCD from the frame of the phone. There will be some connectors following through the bottom half of the phone to the PCB that has the charging port on it. Once the LCD is removed, add a line of LOCA glue to the LCD about as wide as a cigarette. Lay your new glass down on that glue, being careful not to trap too many bubbles. If you have a couple, no problem. You can leave them if it doesn't bother you, or you can push them to the edges. Next, align the LCD with the handy little lines that are printed on the back of the glass. Get something to hold it together, clothespins or hair clamps will do fine. After clamping, once again ensure the glass is aligned properly with the LCD. Then all you have to do is take it outside, let it cure in the sun for about 5 minutes, clean the extra glue up and reassemble the phone!!! I've got one waiting for a glass to come in so as soon as I get that I'll try to post some pics. Enjoy the savings, and the adventure!

tiguy99

Oct 3, 2007
Chicago
I do not know if this has been mentioned or brought up before, but I just wanted to let the G2 crowd know that if they want to go the cheaper route and replace just the digitizer on their G2, it is possible with patience! You will be separating the glass from the LCD with a little bit of heat and a lot of caution, so as not to bust that beautiful LCD that these things are packin'. As you all may already know, the front glass is the digitizer so it'll all be replaced and your touch will work again, without busting the bank! This should only be considered if you're a very handy person with some superfine motor skills.

All you really need is a steady heat source of around 200F. I use a griddle, similar to this
http://www.walmart.com/ip/16451315?...56276670&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=34449323470&veh=sem

Get on eBay and find the digitizer for the phone and some LOCA UV Adhesive. 10ML is way more than enough.

Take the phone apart, then lay the LCD/Digitizer face down on that griddle and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Use a razor blade to VERY CAREFULLY and slowly peel the glass back. You should see the glass separating from the LCD. Continue this and take your time until all of the glass is removed. Then clean the LCD. It takes some work, this glue is extremely sticky and the only thing I've found to completely remove it is Clorox Surface wipes. They're the kind that come presoaked with some kind of cleaner. Even those take a little elbow grease to completely remove the glue from the LCD surface. It should be shiny. A couple specs wont matter, the LOCA has proven to be great at hiding imperfections. Next you will remove the LCD from the frame of the phone. There will be some connectors following through the bottom half of the phone to the PCB that has the charging port on it. Once the LCD is removed, add a line of LOCA glue to the LCD about as wide as a cigarette. Lay your new glass down on that glue, being careful not to trap too many bubbles. If you have a couple, no problem. You can leave them if it doesn't bother you, or you can push them to the edges. Next, align the LCD with the handy little lines that are printed on the back of the glass. Get something to hold it together, clothespins or hair clamps will do fine. After clamping, once again ensure the glass is aligned properly with the LCD. Then all you have to do is take it outside, let it cure in the sun for about 5 minutes, clean the extra glue up and reassemble the phone!!! I've got one waiting for a glass to come in so as soon as I get that I'll try to post some pics. Enjoy the savings, and the adventure!

Please post updates....with pics etc.

Have a perfectly good LCD at home now with damaged digitizer and frame I'd rather use vs playing around with these crappy Ebay replacement parts I've gotten in the past month

Ganjax

Jan 13, 2011
Piotrków Trybunalski
It is not easy to replace but it is very easy to damage LCD, it's not so expensive to buy new screen with digitizer and frames (90-100$) so i prefer to buy full lcd and dont try to replace digitizer.

Reactions: siggey

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

It is not easy to replace but it is very easy to damage LCD, it's not so expensive to buy new screen with digitizer and frames (90-100$) so i prefer to buy full lcd and dont try to replace digitizer.