[ROM][NC] Unofficial CM9 Nightly builds - with/without OpenGL

Search This thread

RASTAVIPER

May 2, 2011
So, has anyone gotten YouTube to work? It mostly worked for me (opengl) until the last several night lies. Something hapeed about half a month ago. Now it just spins for a very long time and if it does anything, it says cannot play touch to retry.

Anotherquestion. Anyone know how to get the "can't find your location" to stop? I've disabled every setting I could find, but I must be missing something.

YouTube through Page or through the app? Cause I remember that it was playing fine directly through Opera (not HD) since non opengl 8/6 version.

Produced by NookColor at ICS 4.0.4

friedsonjm

Oct 30, 2008
Google Pixel 7 Pro
So, what happens here after CM9 is pronounced 'stable?'

My understanding is that after CM9 is 'stable,' then the nightlies will stop - is that correct? What happens to development here, on such things as HWA and 3.0 kernel, when and if CM9 stops?
regards, jf

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
My understanding is that after CM9 is 'stable,' then the nightlies will stop - is that correct? What happens to development here, on such things as HWA and 3.0 kernel, when and if CM9 stops?
regards, jf
I don't think that the nightlies stop. And it is a long time before stable. The first step is a series of Release Candidate (RC) versions. And the nightlies continue. Then when the devs have deemed it stable enough, they release a stable. Probably CM 9.0 stable. Then they probably start working toward CM 9.1 with a long series of nightlies and RC's, followed with CM 9.1 stable. So it will be a long time for the nightlies. At least that is how it worked with CM7.

Sent from my Nook Color running ICS and Tapatalk

Divine_Madcat

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 9, 2005
USA
regards, jf

Not sure how you came about that "understanding". Nightlies never stopped after CM7 stable, nor would they after CM9 (especially since CM9 may go to 9.1, 9.2, etc).

Anyway, after installing CM7.2 (mirage) and CM9 (non OGL), i can't see how people are using CM9 as it is. I guess my major complaint is the lagginess. Even with the tweaks posted, i cannot get over how laggy the UI is (which carries over to the games). While i applaud all the effort here, i can't help but feel that only the 3.0 kernel will actually make this usable.

Of course, given how many people say they use this builds, my worry is that perhaps my nook is just dying... anything is possible.

Seeing that you have two calendar apps makes me think you have some older stuff on there from way back. Early in the sneekpeek days and shortly after, and with the first set of gapps, there was a problem of duplication of apps. And since the SD installer script does not format /system as part of its installation process, some old stuff may still be there and may be contributing to your problem. And two calendars was one of those.

the double calendars might be b/c i was booted to my SD install, even though i had installed cm9 to my internal memory for the first time (been installing to sd since i got my nook color last summer)

so, based on your suggestion about my double calendar, i decided i should format all of the internal partitions to make sure that were no remnants of any previous nook software, previous cm7, previous cm9 installs; more than just the typical data and dalvik wipes.

06/24 openGL
4/29 google apps
3.2.0.1 cwm

after the initial boot, i went through the apps list and disabled the following
android live wallpapers
apollo
blackhole
browser
bubbles
camera
clock
com.android.wallpaper.holospiral
cyanogenmod wallpapers
email
exchange services
google one time init
google search
google text-to-speech engine
goomanager
magic smoke wallpapers
movie studio
music visualization wallpapers
news & weather
phase beam
pico tts
setup wizard
sound recorder
spare parts
voice dialer
voice search

i did notice that there was calendar, calendar data, and calendar sync; not sure if the first two were the first two from the previous list and i didnt add the data to the name when i listed the names previously.

after using it for 30-45 minutes of installing apps; it slept for the day; and then i used it, including youtube (non-HQ) for about 30 minutes this afternoon.

side note, since using cm9, i had tried browser, browser+ & chrome beta. went back to using dolphinHD for about an hour, compared to the 2 minute increments between hard resets before, seems much faster in loading pages than the others, and thats before i change the o/c settings from 300/800 stock to 300/1100.

did just have my first hard lock-up while installing antutu benchmark.
antutu benchmark results
stock 300/800 ondemand = 1748
o/c 300/1100 interactiveX = 2282

ill update again in a couple of days with any further developments.
going to run a week before adding v6 to see if i can tell if it locks-up more or less with v6 supercharger installed.

question: can anyone recommend a good low-cpu usage status/toggle widget?
i used to use Elixir2 to toggle airplane mode, show cpu current mhz, toggle brightness settings, and see battery voltage; but wondering if it could be part of the many hard lock-ups that i have; was wondering what everyone else uses; if there was a better app...

Last edited:

RASTAVIPER

May 2, 2011
I am checking this at Questions thread, but maybe here there are more ideas.
Are there any known incompatibility issues with Ip Camera for cm9? I get no feed from lan network although it works when I connect from mobile.

friedsonjm

Oct 30, 2008
Google Pixel 7 Pro
No updates today?

Just checked again, 7:45 Eastern, via GOO. No changes last night?

---------- Post added at 07:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 AM ----------

What is aokp_encore_ota_eng-krylon.zip ?
See it now as a compatible ROM under GOO.
jf

EDIT: Ok, found this: http://rootzwiki.com/topic/27934-romunofficialaokp-encore-build-40-june-25th/
Google is a wonderful thing...

Last edited:
I am checking this at Questions thread, but maybe here there are more ideas.
Are there any known incompatibility issues with Ip Camera for cm9? I get no feed from lan network although it works when I connect from mobile.

i use ip camera basic and ip camera lite without a problem
i have a Zmodo CM-I11123BK newegg link

Last edited:
Reactions: RASTAVIPER

...[/COLOR]What is aokp_encore_ota_eng-krylon.zip ?
See it now as a compatible ROM under GOO.
jf

EDIT: Ok, found this: http://rootzwiki.com/topic/27934-romunofficialaokp-encore-build-40-june-25th/
Google is a wonderful thing...

Krylon360 has been working on the 3.0 kernel with fat_tire et al, and openly on the side compiled an AOKP unofficial build for the Nook Color (not with the new kernel of course). AOKP is another ICS rom partially forked from AOSP, CM9 and new code to be built with many more UI options. I have been testing a pre release for a couple of weeks. It's a WIP, that runs great on my Nook, but most CM9 bugs are still present.

Reactions: friedsonjm

friedsonjm

Oct 30, 2008
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Krylon360 has been working on the 3.0 kernel with fat_tire et al, and openly on the side compiled an AOKP unofficial build for the Nook Color (not with the new kernel of course). AOKP is another ICS rom partially forked from AOSP, CM9 and new code to be built with many more UI options. I have been testing a pre release for a couple of weeks. It's a WIP, that runs great on my Nook, but most CM9 bugs are still present.

Yes, trying AOKP now... battery life seems much better, will have to see what functionality issues there are, if any... thanks jf

im sure that someone on xda working on the nook has already started a petition to get b&n to allow TI to release the code so development for ICS will before, but i saw this one.

http://www.change.org/petitions/bar...-make-future-kernels-to-work-with-our-device#

i did notice that the lenovo A1 has the same chip - TI OMAP3621
and it appears that lenovo has an ICS directory on their FTP for the A1
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=27931320&postcount=172

not sure if its the code or an update.zip file or what, but its could be helpful...

Reactions: friedsonjm

afzalarsalan

Apr 12, 2011
Well now that we know that Jelly Bean is out, there are a few questions I have.

1. Will we move to the phone style UI now that we know that Google's 7 inch tablet will be featuring it.
  2. Since the source will be release mid-July, will it be as hard to port over as ICS?

Just had a few questions for the devs that we have since a lot has happened in Google I/O.

Last edited:

SeaFractor

Jun 16, 2011
SeaTac
[*]Since the source will be release mid-July, will it be as hard to port over as ICS

Hopefully, Jelly Bean being 4.1, will mean that once the 3.x Kernel is worked out for the Nook Color that it'll also be supported in Jelly Bean.

If the answer is no, then all bets are off. TI had only released an incomplete framework for the OMAP3 devices for ICS (4.0.x). I suspect a new framework, if one was required for 4.1, would be just as incomplete if not even more so.

Reactions: afzalarsalan

Homer_S_xda

Dec 5, 2010
Well now that we know that Jelly Bean is out, there are a few questions I have.

1. Will we move to the phone style UI now that we know that Google's 7 inch tablet will be featuring it.
  2. Since the source will be release mid-July, will it be as hard to port over as ICS?

Just had a few questions for the devs that we have since a lot has happened in Google I/O.
I'm not certain choosing the phone version is necessarily the right answer. Have a look at this hands on. Describes the phone version as "claustrophobic" which doesn't sound fantastic to me. I'm most excited about the Butter speed updates. Sounds like they took the iOS v. Android responsiveness perception to heart. Also, both ICS and JB will be shackled until we get hardware drivers for the graphics acceleration.

Homer

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As of 9/4 opengl is enabled on all builds (so no more double builds each night) and hardware UI acceleration is working. Thanks krylon360 for the work :)

In the same spirit as Samiam303 I've been building and hosting nightly builds of CM9 for the community to use. In particular I'm now building nightlies with OpenGL rendering turned on in addition to non-openGL builds (same as Samiam303). These builds are all straight sync with CM source with no additional mods. Builds are sync'd at 3am EST for non-openGL and 4am EST for openGL - they will be available to download approx 15 mins after their sync times.

So what does OpenGL rendering mean? It means we have some form of hardware acceleration for the UI and apps. It is not full hw accel and it is not hw video decoding. The couple of things you'll notice work is wallpaper scrolling in the launcher and chrome beta will mostly work to render webpages but will fc if you go into settings. Flash also somewhat works - I've found you definitely need to OC to get some flash videos to work, most still are not smooth.

The downside to it seems to vary user to user, some people report sluggish responses and some get lock ups, a few have no problems at all..

Either way, give them a try and report back. Please try to keep the thread on topic of these builds only, other mods can be flashed over, but that discussion should be in the respective thread. I'd also like to revisit keyodi's suggestion here (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=22277804#post22277804) - a few people reported good results with that change. Any more feedback?

Downloads

There's a few ways to get the builds:
    1) Browse the hosted folder here: http://techerrata.com/browse/nightly_kangs/encore
    2) Follow @CM_Encore on twitter for announcements of the builds as they hit the host (PLEASE NOTE: @CM_Encore IS A TWITTER BOT - don't bother tweeting at it)
    3) *NEW* Use the Goo Manager app to receive notifications of new builds and download them directly on your nook. With Goo Manager you can also get incremental updates, see my post here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=25441065#post25441065

Latest ICS gapps can be found here http://goo-inside.me/gapps or mirrored here http://techerrata.com/browse/gapps

Updates

For the latest updates/announcements follow me on twitter, or check back here.

5/9/12: Goo Manager now comes pre-installed to make updating as easy as possible :)
    4/28/12: Incremental updates are available for the flash-a-holics: See http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=25441065#post25441065
    3/10/12: Due to some merges yesterday you may need to reflash gapps when going from a nightly prior to 3/9 to later than 3/9

Credit and Thanks
    Thanks to fattire, dalingrin and the rest of the CM encore theme for making this possible. Thanks to fellow TeamWin members Kevank for providing the hosting and to s0up for the Goo app.
    The 9/4 nightly includes all of krylon's changes, and opengl is now enabled by default so there will only be 1 build each night from now on (unless something changes again). In testing we haven't experienced any freezes or random reboots with the new code and opengl enabled, of course with wider testing we may discover something.
    I've decided to pause the nightlies at this point. If most people are on 9/4 we can start to see if there's any specific issues affecting all users that might be able to be resolved with the goal being as stable a cm9 release as possible. There isn't much being merged into the cm9 tree upstream so we're not losing anything by building less frequency.

So go ahead and install 9/4, if I see something of significance merged upstream I'll kick off a new public build.
    Nightlies will now feature HWA and full Hardware Decoding, as well as working Flash.

Known issues.
    Netflix - Stupid Stupid App. :p - Giving the same error as we are getting in JB, so when we fix one, we will fix the other.

Fruit Ninja - Hangs at the loading screen. - Known issue across several devices.
    I've decided to pause the nightlies at this point. If most people are on 9/4 we can start to see if there's any specific issues affecting all users that might be able to be resolved with the goal being as stable a cm9 release as possible. There isn't much being merged into the cm9 tree upstream so we're not losing anything by building less frequency.

So go ahead and install 9/4, if I see something of significance merged upstream I'll kick off a new public build.

thanks eye.
    This gives me a chance to hack in the PBHACK which will bring down the memory usage of SystemUI like I did in JB.
    Gonna take some work since it didnt like some of the syntax usage when I attempted the 1st time.
    Will try to get to this sometime this week. Have my Grandma coming to town on Sunday, so will be unavail this weekend/next week.