[GUIDE] nvFlash General Users Guide [Unbrick/Recover/Downgrade/Upgrade]- TF201

Search This thread

Danny-B-

May 6, 2005
Scotland
Hello! TF201 hold a brick(after a reset has not started, nor enter the bootloader menu lock ASUS remini) and I want to bring back to life after this method Dr. not know where to get these files:
-factori-config.img
-unlock-token.img
-create.bct
-blob.bin
thanks!

Search and read ...

Heres a nice link to start you off though ... http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1774352

However ... you cant find those files, you have to create them from your specific device

nicnec

Sep 13, 2007
I understand those files rescue call from my TF201. I could use from another tablet? Only thus remains not enter fast boot with volume down + power. What to do?

Attachments

• DSC03522.jpg
    DSC03522.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 391

Danny-B-

May 6, 2005
Scotland
I understand those files rescue call from my TF201. I could use from another tablet? Only thus remains not enter fast boot with volume down + power. What to do?

So your unlocked, but havnt ran through the NVFlash setup ? did you update to JB ? If you cant access fastboot, i'm not sure youll be able to recover really, but your better off asking in the thread i linked to above.

But to answer the question about obtaining files from another device ... No, its impossible as the files are created by your tablet using the tools and you cant use someone elses files, their useless!

nicnec

Sep 13, 2007
JB I did to him! Please have these files saved who put them somewhere to try them. TF201 10.4.2.15 Thank you!

Last edited:

craigacgomez

Jan 29, 2010
Tustin
Thank you so much, I thought I was completely bricked but you saved my tablet.

Now that I am on the stock JB rom that you posted but am unlocked, how can I install TWRP without root access? Can I still boot into fastboot to install a custom recovery?

Yes, you can use fastboot or nvFlash to flash TWRP...

Wish you ported it to windows. We already had that. Thanks anyway.

I'm no expert on this... but since the nvflash.exe is way outdated (it works great with Tegra 2 devices), it cannot do what the Linux nvFlash can do with Tegra 3 devices...

Hello! TF201 hold a brick(after a reset has not started, nor enter the bootloader menu lock ASUS remini) and I want to bring back to life after this method Dr. not know where to get these files:
-factori-config.img
-unlock-token.img
-create.bct
-blob.bin
thanks!

JB I did to him! Please have these files saved who put them somewhere to try them. TF201 10.4.2.15 Thank you!

If's impossible to use someone else's nvFlash backup files since they have very specific device information like the device Chip UID, which is different for different devices... and nvFlash access can ONLY be enabled on an unbricked Prime with the ICS 9.4.2.28 bootloader...

Reactions: d1ez3

GreginNH

Jul 23, 2010
Hooksett
good stuff

this is awesome, thanks so much for putting this information out, really appreciate all this community does to help us safely enjoy our devices!

tedr108

Dec 3, 2011
Los Angeles area, CA
-factori-config.img
-unlock-token.img
-create.bct
-blob.bin
thanks!

I'm not super knowledgible on this stuff, but I think this is correct:

These are the files that you should have created after you installed nvflash on your Prime. At least some, if not all, are device specific. If you have not installed nvflash or neglected to create these files (as recommended after installing nvflash), I do not think you will be able to unbrick. If you followed all of the nvflash install instructions earlier, you probably stored these files somewhere.

Edit: Sheesh, I was little late on this post. :eek:) Guess I left this thread up during lunch.

---------- Post added at 01:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 PM ----------

Quick question:

I ended up bricking (boot looping) my TFP by flashing the wrong TWRP image (by flashing JB TWRP, instead of ICS TWRP) and am in the process of restoring my device from nvflash.

I have downloaded the JB ROM (unblobbed) from the OP, and I wish to upgrade to TWRP 2.3.0.0 as long as I am at it. I am not sure if this will give me the JB or ICS bootloader.

So, which TWRP blob file do I rename to blob.SOS, the JB or ICS version? If I should just use the ICS ROM (unblobbed) to be safe I am fine with that.

Last edited:

craigacgomez

Jan 29, 2010
Tustin
I'm not super knowledgible on this stuff, but I think this is correct:

These are the files that you should have created after you installed nvflash on your Prime. At least some, if not all, are device specific. If you have not installed nvflash or neglected to create these files (as recommended after installing nvflash), I do not think you will be able to unbrick. If you followed all of the nvflash install instructions earlier, you probably stored these files somewhere.

Edit: Sheesh, I was little late on this post. :eek:) Guess I left this thread up during lunch.

Right you are... here's some more details:

factory-config.img ==> device specific factory configurations
unlock-token.img => device specific unlock token you get when you unlock your device
blob.bin => device specific file needed by wheelie to bootstrap the device
create.bct => boot config table... I'm not sure if this is device specific...

tedr108

Dec 3, 2011
Los Angeles area, CA
I posted about an nvflash recovery that I am attempting a post or two back (it appended to another post of mine, which is unfortunate). My device is bricked because of flashing JB TWRP, instead of ICS TWRP. Rather than go thru the entire install process, I'm wondering if there is some simple way to just flash the proper TWRP thru nvflash?

Last edited:

craigacgomez

Jan 29, 2010
Tustin
I posted about an nvflash recovery that I am attempting a post or two back (it appended to another post of mine, which is unfortunate). My device is bricked because of flashing JB TWRP, instead of ICS TWRP. Rather than go thru the entire install process, I'm wondering if there is some simple way to just flash the proper TWRP thru nvflash?

Yes... replace blob.SOS with the TWRP recovery file (the nvFlash img version)... and if your are using the full recovery process, just renamed twrp.img to blob.SOS, replace blob.SOS and continue...

Reactions: tedr108

tedr108

Dec 3, 2011
Los Angeles area, CA
Yes... replace blob.SOS with the TWRP recovery file (the nvFlash img version)... and if your are using the full recovery process, just renamed twrp.img to blob.SOS, replace blob.SOS and continue...

Thanks, Craig. Still a little confused here...

Assuming I do a full recovery and use the OP's JB ROM, I would replace blob.SOS with the twrp-JB.img, right? Or, since my device had an ICS bootloader before it was bricked, would it be better to use the OP's ICS ROM instead? I was running CM10 at the time, mind you.

I'm still not quite getting if there is an abbreviated process (NOT full recovery) to simply flash the twrp-ics.img. Maybe I am beyond that possibility since my device is currently boot looping. Sorry to bother you with this stuff.

Follow up: The following command (thanks to RaYmAn) was a quick and easy nvflash fix for my invalid recovery: nvflash -r --download 5 compatible-recovery.img ... no nvflash full recovery required. My TFP was back up and running in about 30 secs!

Last edited:

Striatum_bdr

May 29, 2011
Marseille
Thanks, Craig. Still a little confused here...

Assuming I do a full recovery and use the OP's JB ROM, I would replace blob.SOS with the twrp-JB.img, right? Or, since my device had an ICS bootloader before it was bricked, would it be better to use the OP's ICS ROM instead? I was running CM10 at the time, mind you.

I'm still not quite getting if there is an abbreviated process (NOT full recovery) to simply flash the twrp-ics.img. Maybe I am beyond that possibility since my device is currently boot looping. Sorry to bother you with this stuff.

If you nvflash a JB ROM you nvflash a JB TWRP recovery.

Reactions: tedr108

nicnec

Sep 13, 2007
Please put this file, generated by nvflash it to study!

-factory-config.img
-unlock-token.img
-create.bct
-blob.bin

thanks!

Fireplug

Aug 4, 2010
I did sorry, but for some reason getting confused... I was able to do fastboot not sure what to do after that...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

You need to go to the androidroot.mobi site through the link in the first post and there you click on the actual guide which runs you through the commands to use.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    AIM: This is a general users guide to unbrick, recover, downgrade or upgrade using nvFlash for the Transformer Prime TF201. I will try my best to help anyone out so please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

REQUIREMENTS:
    1. Transformer Prime TF201 (duh!!!)
    2. Enabled nvFlash access (Tegra 3 nvFlash by AndroidRoot)
    3. Window or Linux computer [Linux recommended]
    4. Ability to use a command prompt or terminal shell
    5. nVidia APX drivers [Windows Only] (Universal Naked Drivers)
    6. Wheelie & nvFlash binaries/executables
    7. You device specific nvFlash backup files generated while enabling nvFlash

THIS GUIDE COVERS:
    1. Manual steps for basic unbrick, recovery, downgrade or upgrade. [Windows & Linux] This is your first option to recover your device.
    2. Automated complete factory reset & recovery [Linux Only] Use this only if you cannot recover using the manual steps or if you want to completely wipe and recover your device.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION:
    At the moment, nvFlash can only be enabled on a device with the 9.4.2.28 ICS bootloader. If you have upgraded to the official Jelly Bean ROM before enabling nvFlash, you would have the new 10.4.2.15 bootloader and you will no longer be able to enable nvFlash. When following this guide, read the information provided carefully to prevent any permanent damages. Be patient as each step may take a while to complete. Make sure your device is charged (recommended more that 75% battery) before attempting anything detailed here. Do not forcefully power off your device at the wrong time. Keep you device connected to your computer during the whole process. If you encounter bootloops or are stuck at the Asus spinning wheel after this process, a data wipe should fix this (Power + Vol Down, then select Wipe Data)

WHY ENABLE NVFLASH:
    nvFlash would allow you to recover your device from almost any brick and would allow you to upgrade or downgrade your device.

SETUP:
    1. Download the nvFlash binary/executable for your operating system [ Windows / Linux ]
    2. Download the wheelie binary/executable for your operating system [ Windows / Linux ]
    3. Install the APX drivers [ Windows Only ]

FOR LINUX USERS:
    Make sure you always run nvflash and wheelie as root or sudo. If your user does not have root privileges or is not a sudoer, you will quite likely not be able to do this. If you are a root user, do not use the sudo prefix in the commands below.

INSTRUCTIONS [MANUAL STEPS]:
    1. Download an un-blob'd ROM (links below). [Advanced users can use BlobTools (blobunpack) and unblob a ROM. Make sure you have compatible unblob'd images of the bootloader, recovery, kernel & system]
    2. Extract wheelie, nvFlash and the unblob'd ROM to a directory (avoid spaces in the directory path)
    3. Start your device in APX mode [Power On + Volume Up]. Your tablet screen will remain blank in APX mode.
    4. Bootstrap your device (enter nvFlash mode) while your device is in APX mode using wheelie
    Windows:
    Code:
    wheelie.exe --blob blob.bin
    Linux:
    Code:
    sudo ./wheelie --blob blob.bin
    5. After wheelie does it's job, your device will be ready in nvFlash mode. You can now begin the process.
    6. We start with the bootloader. In the case of the un-blob'd ROMs below, this is the blob.EBT file. To flash the bootloader, use this command:
    Windows:
    Code:
    nvflash.exe -r --download 4 blob.EBT
    Linux:
    Code:
    sudo ./nvflash -r --download 4 blob.EBT
    7. Next we move to the recovery image. In the case of the un-blob'd ROMs below, this is the blob.SOS file. To flash the recovery image, use this command:
    Windows:
    Code:
    nvflash.exe -r --download 5 blob.SOS
    Linux:
    Code:
    sudo ./nvflash -r --download 5 blob.SOS
    8. Next we move to the boot image. In the case of the un-blob'd ROMs below, this is the blob.LNX file. To flash the boot image, use this command:
    Windows:
    Code:
    nvflash.exe -r --download 6 blob.LNX
    Linux:
    Code:
    sudo ./nvflash -r --download 6 blob.LNX
    9. Next we move to the system image. In the case of the un-blob'd ROMs below, this is the blob.APP file. To flash the system image, use this command:
    Windows:
    Code:
    nvflash.exe -r --download 10 blob.APP
    Linux:
    Code:
    sudo ./nvflash -r --download 10 blob.APP
    10. Finally, we reboot the device. After you run the following command, you will see the text "AndroidRoot 9.4.2.28" and your device should reboot in a few seconds. If you device does not reboot after you see the text, force a reboot (long press the Power button)
    Windows:
    Code:
    nvflash.exe -r --go
    Linux:
    Code:
    sudo ./nvflash -r --go

SEMI-AUTOMATED COMPLETE RECOVERY - LINUX ONLY:
    This process completely wipes all partitions (except external SD/mSD cards) and reflashes everything, essentially returning your device to a near factory state. You will not lose you unlock status or nvFlash access. You will lose all data from your internal storage (/storage/sdcard0 or /data/media).
    Unfortunately, due to technical reason, this process is possible only using Linux, since the nvflash executable for Windows is very old and cannot handle this process. I will be creating a detailed step-by-step guide for those not comfortable with Linux. But for now, this is available for all those who know how to use Linux.
    To use this, you need to download one of the unblob'd stock ROMs below (or create your own) along with the semi-automated complete recovery zip below.
    You will also need the device specific nvFlash backup generated when you enabled nvFlash.
    Complete instruction are in the "README" file in the semi-automated complete recovery zip.

DISCLAIMER: nvFlash can save your device, but if used incorrectly, it could permanently brick your device. If you follow the instructions carefully, you should not have any problems. However, in the event that you do have a problem, neither I (craigacgomez), nor the AndroidRoot team can be held responsible. Use this guide at your own discretion. If you need help or do not understand something, PM me and I will try to help you as much as I can.

DOWNLOADS:

UN-BLOB'D STOCK ICS 9.4.2.28 ROM
    - Un-blob'd stock ICS 9.4.2.28 ROM
    - Completely unmodified

UN-BLOB'D STOCK JB 10.4.2.15 ROM
    - Un-blob'd stock JB 10.4.2.15 ROM
    - Completely unmodified

SEMI-AUTOMATED COMPLETE RECOVERY - LINUX ONLY [Read Info Above Before Using This!!]

CREDITS:
    AndroidRoot - Everything you see here has been made possible because of the AndroidRoot team.
    nVidia

SUPPORT THE PROJECT
    Donate to AndroidRoot - They are the amazing people behind nvFlash for the Prime
    Donate to me (craigacgomez)
    What is APX mode?
    APX mode is basically a programming mode or download mode for nVidia based devices. On a development device or an unrestricted device, when you get into APX mode, you can program your device using nvflash commands. Most production devices lock down APX mode and disable nvflash access. This is where wheelie comes into the picture for our devices. If you cannot access APX mode, you have probably permanently bricked your device.

What is wheelie?
    Wheelie is an nvflash pre-loader that boots the tablet into an nvflash ready mode that lets you use regular nvflash commands (with -r prepended!). Wheelie was created by the amazing folks at AndroidRoot. Wheelie uses the "device specific" blob.bin file to bootstrap the device in APX mode and allow nvflash access. The blob.bin file has information like the Chip UID which is different for each devices and cannot be used interchangeably. If you get you device repaired or RMA'd and the motherboard is replaced, you would need to regenerate the blob.bin file.

What is nvflash?
    nvflash is a low-level flash utility for nVidia based devices which gives you low level access to the system to flash, format, recover, repartition and do many more functions. It is a very powerful tool and should be used with caution. Read and follow all instruction carefully when using nvflash.

What is "-r" in the nvflash command?
    The whole purpose of -r or --resume is to tell nvflash that the device is already running the nv3pserver (nvflash recovery mode), without -r or --resume it will try to do the preflight that wheelie does for us.

What is "--download X" in the nvflash command?
    This parameter in the nvflash command is used to download/flash the specified file to partition X in the device. So the command "nvflash -r --download 4 blob.EBT" with download/flash the file blob.EBT to partition 4. These partitions are defined in the device partition table. The flash.cfg file in your nvflash backup is the partition table description if you want to know more details.

What is "--go" in the nvflash command?
    This parameter in the nvflash command is used to boot bootloader after nvflash completes instead of looping in nv3pserver in resume mode. Basically it should exit resume mode and reboot your device.

What is BlobTools?
    Once again, this is the genius brainchild and result of the amazing folks at AndroidRoot. The Asus Transformer series uses "blobs" to flash stuff. A blob can have multiple partitions (system, boot, recovery, bootloader). Blobs are moved to the staging partition (/dev/block/mmcblk0p4) and are automatically flashed upon reboot. The blob header defines where the different files in a blob get flashed to (boot gets flash to the boot partition, system to the system partition, etc.). BlobTools in a utility to create and extract these staging blobs. All blobs need to be extracted before being using with nvflash.

I have already upgraded to Jelly Bean. Can I still use nvFlash?
    At the moment, nvFlash can only be enabled if the device is using the 9.4.2.28 ICS bootloader. If you have not yet enabled nvFlash and you have upgraded to the stock Jelly Bean ROM, you will have the 10.4.2.15 bootloader and you will no longer be able to enable nvFlash.
    If you have already enabled nvFlash before upgrading to the stock Jelly Bean ROM, you will continue to have nvFlash access even though your bootloader was upgraded.
    Thanks for info. I used this procedure few weeks ago. Got the bootloader back but stuck in APX mode. Couldn't boot. I needed to flash other files back. Then repartitioned and format all partitions fresh.

There's actually an automated process for it. Does every partition and sector back from backup files. It reverts device completely back to previous state. Its posted by kmdm. Only works in Linux though. Link below.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=32365961&postcount=489

Wejgomi

Yes, I have made automated scripts for both these un-blob'd ROMs for Windows & Linux... I just need to test them before releasing them (most probably tonight PDT)... the manual steps will work till then...
    Hi! (I know that this is an old post, but as newbies gonna search for these answers, I will provide them.)

In the mean time, I have a few questions now that I'm at this point, and I'm not sure if this is the appropriate thread or not, but here goes:

1) Now that I'm at this point, is it safe to update to ota jb without losing nvflash access to recover my tablet? or will it overwrite the bootloader making it possible to brick again?

• NVFlash is a part of the nVidia Tegra SoC (System on Chip) and it is not stored in the flash part of your device.
    • It is (as someone explained) a substantial part of the hardware. It cannot be removed, disabled, changed or modified in any known way (well, you could try to solder the chip and do stuff...).
    • Every(?) Tegra device has a unique encryption key which is part of that code and therefor cannot be altered, too.
    There is (again, as I have been explained) nothing you can do with adb, fastboot and APX/wheelie/nvflash that will alter that features. It is unbrickable, as long as there is no hardware error/defect (e.g. USB port malfunction).

Therefor, flashing any recovery/bootloader/ROM will not remove nvflash abilities.

But beware: nvflash has to be used the first time to create the backup files before you go to any ASUS Stock ROM with Android 4.1/4.2 (as my device is a TF300T/TF300TG I cannot advice you on the right version numbers as they differ from model to model). You must keep the files safe. They are unique to each device because of the above mentioned encryption key. You cannot "borrow" the blob.bin files etc from any other device as they are device specific encrypted.

(Often the terminus used is "to install nvflash" which is technically quite wrong as you do not permanently install anything to your device. What you do is to download/copy the encrypted bootloader and other partitions. Therefor: keep the files safe.)

Why only working below 4.1? Because after you upgraded to JellyBean you will not be able to install a custom bootloader. But this is needed to create the nvflash backup files. Asus made us a real PITA! After being on any JellyBean bootloader only Asus can install bootloaders. Because only they have the encryption key "to be let in". Or you can use nvflash, because the backed up files are already encrypted for your device.

2) TWRP will not backup my tablet, it keeps giving me an error every time I try, so I installed AndroidRoot's patched CWM according to their instructions. Will I be able to reinstall that if I do update to ota jb?

Again, my device TF300TG/TF300T is very similar in nvflash matters, but the prinicples are the same.

CWM and TWRP are custom recoveries. From the moment you "unlock your bootloader" with ASUS' unlock tool you are entitled to install any recovery compatible with your hardware. The recovery has to be specific to the bootloader (on TF300T(G)), so after installing 4.1 or 4.2 you need a different TWRP or CWM (read their homepage and/or device specific threads!).

Even if Asus removed the possibility to flash a custom recovery e.g. with the next JB update, you would be able to go back to the nvflash backup which enabled the old bootloader (e.g. 4.0) and let you install the desired recovery/custom ROMs/Stock ROMs.

Again, Asus cannot steal that nvflash option from you. You can always revert. (Again, I did not invent/research all of this by myself, I only spent days(!) reading the forum on these topics.)

3) Can I install CM10 safely and be able to revert back to stock if I don't care for it, or if it's not stable enough for my everyday use?

Yes.

(But just be aware that you should make nandroid/Titanium Backup/app data backups as changing the ROM requires often to do a full wipe.)

If there are (substantial?) errors in this text, please PM or reply so that I can fix this. I really want to help, especially the new people. It is a pain if there are errors, especially when they are not corrected or only corrected 500+ posts later. ;)
    Here you go.

DOWNLOADS:

UN-BLOB'D STOCK ICS 4.0.3 (9.4.2.28) ROM

- MD5 - a74e05be2d3aba2af5c970e30d3a3720
    - Un-blob'd stock ICS 4.0.3 (9.4.2.28) ROM
    - Completely unmodified

UN-BLOB'D STOCK JB 4.1 (10.4.2.18) ROM

- MD5 - 47603552984c10b7e7180fb6cb23901e
    - Un-blob'd stock JB 4.1 (10.4.2.18) ROM
    - Completely unmodified