FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Streak 7 Wi-Fi - How to increase battery life by 400%

275 posts
Thanks Meter: 21

By bluesy_92, Senior Member on 14th June 2011, 06:53 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
So, if you check your battery use, somewhere around 75% of it is cellular standby trying to find a network. Being a Wi-Fi tablet, this is useless (if you have the T-Mobile model, DO NOT do this.) This is taking up 3x as much as other services, with no real use.

If you root your phone, and use a file manager to remove phone.apk and telephonyprovider.apk (I moved them, so the files are still there if I ever need to restore them for warranty or something, but they are laying unused on my sdcard directory) then restart your phone, the Cell Standby process will no longer be running. This increases the 25% of battery you were using to all of it, with none being used by cellular services that you don't have.

When you first remove the files, you will keep getting "Stopped unexpectedly" errors, because they were removed as the tablet was running, but after reboot, you will be fine, and your battery life should be 4x what it was before.
The Following User Says Thank You to bluesy_92 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bluesy_92 Ad-Free

14th June 2011, 07:03 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
It using a ton of my battery with djs 2.2.2. What file explorer do you suggest? Im new to android.
14th June 2011, 07:16 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by penzky

It using a ton of my battery with djs 2.2.2. What file explorer do you suggest? Im new to android.

I'm using Super Manager, because if your phone is rooted, it will let you enable the option to edit the root areas. Any file manager that allows you to use root should work, though :)

EDIT: Also worth mentioning, the files are under system/apps.
The Following User Says Thank You to bluesy_92 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bluesy_92 Ad-Free
14th June 2011, 09:22 AM |#4  

More
Haha figured that out after searching for a minute. Working fine with the files moved. Got a cell radio symbol up top now with a x on it t.
14th June 2011, 03:07 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 119

More
I have the tmobile version and i noticed the high celluar provider battery usage.

since i use wifi 99% of the time, i just set it to airplane mode and leave wifi on and that solves the problem without deleting anything.
14th June 2011, 04:09 PM |#6  
Flag Buffalo, NY
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Did this too (I just renamed them to .old and left them where they were) and it helped a lot.

I also notice now that I've had the unit for a week that the battery has settled down quite a bit. With 10 hours and on and off usage I get home and still show over 50%, so I have no complaints.
15th June 2011, 09:09 AM |#7  

More
I had rename mine. However when I check on the systemlog I notice the following:

After restart the DS7

W/ActivityManager(27708): Process com.android.phone has crashed too many times: killing!

I/ActivityManager(27708): Process com.android.phone (pid 17442) has died.
Unable to retrieve gids

later on
I/ActivityManager(27708): Start proc com.android.phone for restart com.android.phone: pid=17542 uid=1001 gids={}

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Does it not meant the service did restart again
15th June 2011, 12:30 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
I'm pretty sure that was referring to the phone.apk "crashing" after it was removed (Stop unexpectedly message) Your tablet should be fine. If there are no issues, and the battery menu no longer shows "Cell Standby", then it most likely worked.
15th June 2011, 01:52 PM |#9  
Arkansas
Thanks Meter: 66

More
If you're on DJ's build you can add the line persist.ril-off=1 to the build.prop and that kills the radio. I couldn't get it to work on rooted 2.2.2 even with the terminal emulator. I may go back and try this method though as I'd really like to have Bluetooth.

Sent from my Dell Streak 7 using XDA Premium App
19th June 2011, 03:04 AM |#10  

More
Is there a way to disable it for the Tmobile version? Plane mode doesn't seem to work, cell standby still takes 75% of the battery life.
21st June 2011, 07:49 PM |#11  

More
I was able to get them removed but it took a bit of work in the terminal. (I'm running GingerBread, Rooted) I deleted the files permanently.

Start up the terminal emulator and then type the following:

su (Accept superuser permissions if you haven't before)
cd /system/app
ls (This will display all the files in the directory)
mount -o remount,rw /system
rm /system/app/Phone.apk

You'll start getting force closes. Reboot the system now.

su
cd /system/app
ls (This will display all the files in the directory, This is optional)
mount -o remount,rw /system
rm /system/app/TelePhonyProvider.apk

Reboot the system. You should be good to go.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)