Cross compiling for ARM

Search This thread

ehowe01

Dec 14, 2009
I'm trying to set up an environment on my Desktop for compiling applications for the Droid. I have tried everything I've seen for setting up this environment, but all of the guides I've seen seems to be a few years old and are either broken or the instructions are so out dated that they no longer apply. Does anybody have the steps needed to get this working?

I have access to numerous Linux boxes running different distros. Offhand I have access to Fedora 11, CentOS 4 and 5, Debian Lenny, and *shudder* Gentoo. If your instructions are for a specific distro, chances are I can get a box set up with it so send them along please :)

Any advice on getting this set up would be appreciated.

l3v5y

Retired Senior Moderator
Sep 13, 2007
Bristol
Moving to Android Development, since this seems kinda Androidy. Let me know if you disagree!

ehowe01

Dec 14, 2009
I seem to have solved my own problem on this one, but for anyone else that is interested, I ended up using an application called scratchbox, I got it at http://www.scratchbox.org/ and followed the instructions in their documentation. It uses qemu to emulate the ARM processor. For the Droid I used the arm7 toolchain package. Once I had it installed I ran it and was able to compile for the ARM without a problem, just make sure to remember to use STATIC=1 when you run your make, otherwise you will get "not found" error when running on the device.