Looking to upgrade to possibly the note 3. Anyone have the nexus 5 first?

Search This thread

hasbrobot

May 22, 2010
Hi, I'm at a crossroads at the moment. I currently have had the note 2 for a year now and love the screen size. However in 4 days, thanks to T-Mobile's jump program; I can upgrade. I'm stuck at the decision between choosing the note 3 or nexus 5. Has anyone here come from the nexus 5? I'm curious what there experience was that led them to get the note 3.

I understand the specs and differences. So I'm not sure about downgrading to a smaller screen (nexus 5) however my phones have always been rooted since the droid eris. Just before my note 3 received 4.3 I reset the counter and flashed back to stock. Then took the update. Now I'm unrooted due to not wanting to trip the knox counter. As I've read it's not possible to reset it, yet and I need to turn this phone in towards my upgrade. I miss being rooted and regular updates so I thought the nexus 5 because there's no tattle tale counters. But I'm not sure about the size and I'm not about the note 3 either, thanks to knox.

Anyone have maybe a suggestion?
I'm kinda on the fence at the moment. Thank you.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

MariosFFX

Dec 15, 2010
Athens
Hi, I'm at a crossroads at the moment. I currently have had the note 2 for a year now and love the screen size. However in 4 days, thanks to T-Mobile's jump program; I can upgrade. I'm stuck at the decision between choosing the note 3 or nexus 5. Has anyone here come from the nexus 5? I'm curious what there experience was that led them to get the note 3.

I understand the specs and differences. So I'm not sure about downgrading to a smaller screen (nexus 5) however my phones have always been rooted since the droid eris. Just before my note 3 received 4.3 I reset the counter and flashed back to stock. Then took the update. Now I'm unrooted due to not wanting to trip the knox counter. As I've read it's not possible to reset it, yet and I need to turn this phone in towards my upgrade. I miss being rooted and regular updates so I thought the nexus 5 because there's no tattle tale counters. But I'm not sure about the size and I'm not about the note 3 either, thanks to knox.

Get neither.
I would suggest getting a Note 3 but since you are worried about Knox, then forget it. Well there is also a possibility of rooting without tripping Knox and that depends on your software version [check Root de La Vega thread].

I don't like LG Nexus 5 because there is no microSD slot, you cannot replace the battery without unscrewing the phone, no usb otg.

Have you considered getting an LG G2?
http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_g2-5543.php

Is it in your upgrade plan?
I believe it might be, since Note 3 costs a lot more

Reactions: hasbrobot

hasbrobot

May 22, 2010
I've thought about the g2 actually but not a whole lot. T-Mobile is my carrier and almost everything in the store is zero down right now so I'm wide open decision wise.

Thanks for the link

Last edited:

hasbrobot

May 22, 2010
I could probably live without root. It's not too imperative for me. Think I really like the size of the note 3.

celderic

Dec 1, 2010
Flashed cwm and a custom rom within 4 hours after recieving my note 3. Knox 0x1 has no meaning to me. As i would rather repair myself than wait weeks for samsung to do it.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

rans0m00

Oct 11, 2012
I came from the note 2 then to nexus 5 then to note 3. I like the change in every way except missing kitkat and dislike having a physical button to go home. Beyond that the note 3 build quality and extra features included with the note 3 make it an easy choice for me. The Nexus 5 is an awesome phone for the price but the quality is no where near the note 3. The knox issue.... I checked all the basic functioning including multitouch and after everything checked out I rooted and never looked back.

hasbrobot

May 22, 2010
Awesome,

Only reason I'm even partially concerned with knox is it might effect exchanging the phone in later for another (jump) upgrade.

hasbrobot

May 22, 2010
I came from the note 2 then to nexus 5 then to note 3. I like the change in every way except missing kitkat and dislike having a physical button to go home. Beyond that the note 3 build quality and extra features included with the note 3 make it an easy choice for me. The Nexus 5 is an awesome phone for the price but the quality is no where near the note 3. The knox issue.... I checked all the basic functioning including multitouch and after everything checked out I rooted and never looked back.

How long did you have the nexus 5 and why did you go from it to the note 3? Where you on the fence as well before getting the n5 in the first place?

gphunkplp

Jul 6, 2012
My buddy has the n5 its a sweet phone he is rooted with kit kat and I have the stock note 3 with jellybean still and the only thing I would root it for is no ads other than that my feelings are heavily weighed for the note its a far superior device imo

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Ry2mkk

Sep 8, 2012
Awesome,

Only reason I'm even partially concerned with knox is it might effect exchanging the phone in later for another (jump) upgrade.

When you trade your phone in, you could always re flash stock, I wouldnt of thought they would check for Knox being 0x1 ?

I like you faced this dilemma although id already purchased my note 3 but knox P***** me off so i wanted to sell the device and buy a N5 or G2 - after playing with both of these phones...I stuck with my note 3 partly due to the bigger screen and i just thought to hell with samsung Knox - Rooted it and installed what i wanted :cowboy: ive never looked back.:cool:

rans0m00

Oct 11, 2012
How long did you have the nexus 5 and why did you go from it to the note 3? Where you on the fence as well before getting the n5 in the first place?

I had the nexus 5 for little over 2 months. I enjoyed it and still prefer Kitkat over jellybean any day.

I purchased the n5 for the price for performance. I decided to upgrade because I wanted apt-x for blue tooth audio, I prefer the larger screen, and I still like having the removable battery and SD card.

There wasn't much on the fence... I had never had a nexus device and decided to try it out and see what the hype was about. For the price from Google play it's unbeatable imo. Paying the extra 100 because it came through tmo is a ripoff. Just my personal experience get the 32gb version so you don't have to compromise on what you can carry.

I liked the phone enough and for how cheap it is I decided to give it to my gf instead of selling it. If she didn't want it I would keep it around as a backup phone for when it's not a good idea to carry my note 3.

So in closing you can't go wrong with either one. For staying connected and having the latest Android the nexus wins. For bells and whistles the note 3 wins.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

hasbrobot

May 22, 2010
Well I think that settles it. Thank you everyone for you input. Between everyone's generous advice and going to T-Mobile tonight to play with both. I have made up my mind.

(Drum roll please... ... ... ...)

And the winner is....

The note 3!!

No I just need to decide on the color. HA!

This Wednesday is the day. My wife and I are going to T-Mobile and she'll likely get the white and I'll probably get the black.

Thanks guys!!

Last edited:

hasbrobot

May 22, 2010
Just bought the black note 3 and the white one for my wife!!

Totally awesome phone! I thought the note 2 was amazing. This phone is incredible. Thanks everyone for your input.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

gamisouxda

Jan 26, 2014
hi,

had note 1, than iphone5s, now note 3. Nothing beats this screen size, wondered what to choose and there is no competition so far…

trubster

Feb 28, 2007
Sheffield
Can you not do what I did?

I got a sim free phone and a much cheaper sim-only deal (Paying £15 PM instead of £36+)

No waiting around if you want to upgrade early, I got the S3, then Note 2, then Note 2 LTE and finally the Note 3 - petty good resale values.

I would still be stuck with my S3 if I hadn't gone down this route. 24 Months is too long to be tied to a phone

Last edited:

pifsworld

May 1, 2010
I've got the note 3 on contract and cos the nexus 5 will get updates first I bought one outright as the price is so cheap and it works for me as I prefer the smaller N5 for work...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Get neither.
    I would suggest getting a Note 3 but since you are worried about Knox, then forget it. Well there is also a possibility of rooting without tripping Knox and that depends on your software version [check Root de La Vega thread].

I don't like LG Nexus 5 because there is no microSD slot, you cannot replace the battery without unscrewing the phone, no usb otg.

Have you considered getting an LG G2?
    http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_g2-5543.php

Is it in your upgrade plan?
    I believe it might be, since Note 3 costs a lot more
    Flashed cwm and a custom rom within 4 hours after recieving my note 3. Knox 0x1 has no meaning to me. As i would rather repair myself than wait weeks for samsung to do it.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
    My buddy has the n5 its a sweet phone he is rooted with kit kat and I have the stock note 3 with jellybean still and the only thing I would root it for is no ads other than that my feelings are heavily weighed for the note its a far superior device imo

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Awesome,

When you trade your phone in, you could always re flash stock, I wouldnt of thought they would check for Knox being 0x1 ?

I like you faced this dilemma although id already purchased my note 3 but knox P***** me off so i wanted to sell the device and buy a N5 or G2 - after playing with both of these phones...I stuck with my note 3 partly due to the bigger screen and i just thought to hell with samsung Knox - Rooted it and installed what i wanted :cowboy: ive never looked back.:cool: