I337 AT&T S4 - Return to Stock (No WiFi)

Search This thread

jbrudda

May 16, 2014
I recently bit off more than I could chew with my S4 (I337). I had 4.4.2 KitKat on it and wanted to root it to add teathering. I decided thought there was no root for 4.4.2 so I thought I would try downgrading to 4.3 then root. This seemed best because I didn't like the way the SD card is handled in 4.4.2 and some of my apps (like ftp server) have stopped working.

When I got the phone back up from flashing with Odin it says it has version 4.3. My WiFi will not turn on. If I slide the switch to on it slides right back to off and the phone tells me that an operation was block (can't remember the full verbage. I have installed and attempted to install many things on my phone. I have used recovery mode / Odin3 and Kies (Kies doesn't allow much).

At this point I just would like to get my phone back to 4.4.2 with the WiFi working. Then I can restore my backup and be back to square one with a lesson learned.

I have an I337 that currently thinks it has version 4.3 on it. The baseband version is I337UCUFNC1 currently. The build number is JSS15J.I337UCUEMK2.

If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. I have read and tried many things over a two day period and finally decided to ask for help.

R

richc3

Had this issue before on my Bell Canada S4, but don't recall exact way to fix it.
Think the solution was to find an older (might be newer) stock. I think I used a different version like the Telus Canada version as well and it ended up working. Then you update through kies after.

Last edited:

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
I recently bit off more than I could chew with my S4 (I337). I had 4.4.2 KitKat on it and wanted to root it to add teathering. I decided thought there was no root for 4.4.2 so I thought I would try downgrading to 4.3 then root. This seemed best because I didn't like the way the SD card is handled in 4.4.2 and some of my apps (like ftp server) have stopped working.

When I got the phone back up from flashing with Odin it says it has version 4.3. My WiFi will not turn on. If I slide the switch to on it slides right back to off and the phone tells me that an operation was block (can't remember the full verbage. I have installed and attempted to install many things on my phone. I have used recovery mode / Odin3 and Kies (Kies doesn't allow much).

At this point I just would like to get my phone back to 4.4.2 with the WiFi working. Then I can restore my backup and be back to square one with a lesson learned.

I have an I337 that currently thinks it has version 4.3 on it. The baseband version is I337UCUFNC1 currently. The build number is JSS15J.I337UCUEMK2.

If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. I have read and tried many things over a two day period and finally decided to ask for help.

Root, install safestrap then flash this ROM and you will be good to go: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=52167774&postcount=3

karim8888

May 8, 2014
Same problem,need help plz

Hi guys,
I have the same problem as jbrudda.i wiped everything using Odin3_v3.09 and AP_I337UCUEMK2_1921628_REV06_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar . and now my wifi is not working. when i try to turn it on a security message pop up (the device has detected an application attempting to perform actions that are not permitted these actions have been blocked)and ask me to reboot, then it does a factory reset on its own. but the problem is still there no wifi. my baseband is diffrent than jbrudda's. mine is I337UCUAMDB. can someone plz help. thank you

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
Hi guys,
I have the same problem as jbrudda.i wiped everything using Odin3_v3.09 and AP_I337UCUEMK2_1921628_REV06_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar . and now my wifi is not working. when i try to turn it on a security message pop up (the device has detected an application attempting to perform actions that are not permitted these actions have been blocked)and ask me to reboot, then it does a factory reset on its own. but the problem is still there no wifi. my baseband is diffrent than jbrudda's. mine is I337UCUAMDB. can someone plz help. thank you

Wifi does not work because of the modem/kernel mismatch, i.e. MDB modem and MK2 kernel. Not sure what your goal was when you began flashing your phone but since you fortunately did not flash teh MK2 bootloader you are still able to locate the MDB full odin tar and flash back to stock which will resolve your issue.

Reactions: karim8888

karim8888

May 8, 2014
Wifi does not work because of the modem/kernel mismatch, i.e. MDB modem and MK2 kernel. Not sure what your goal was when you began flashing your phone but since you fortunately did not flash teh MK2 bootloader you are still able to locate the MDB full odin tar and flash back to stock which will resolve your issue.

I did Root it with saferoot and safestarp.the wifi didnt work so i had to find a script here on xda and i run it throughout universal init.d . i didnt like the way my phone was running . so i decided to unroot it . so you think im using the wrong TAR file ???

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
I did Root it with saferoot and safestarp.the wifi didnt work so i had to find a script here on xda and i run it throughout universal init.d . i didnt like the way my phone was running . so i decided to unroot it . so you think im using the wrong TAR file ???

It depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Are you trying to upgrade to MK2 or higher while maintaining your unlocked MDB bootloader?

karim8888

May 8, 2014
It depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Are you trying to upgrade to MK2 or higher while maintaining your unlocked MDB bootloader?

I'm just trying to take it back to the why it was. and upgrade to kitkat. i have now build number JSS15J.I337UCUEMK2 baseband : I337UCUAMDB
what do you think i should do?? I appreciate your help.

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
I'm just trying to take it back to the why it was. and upgrade to kitkat. i have now build number JSS15J.I337UCUEMK2 baseband : I337UCUAMDB

If you don't care about losing your MDB unlocked bootloader you can get to the latest kitkat firmware by flashing the NB1 full odin tar from here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2674223, then once flashing is complete go to settings/more/about phone/software update then take the ota update to NC1 which is the latest kitkat version for our phone.

But what I would do is keep your unlocked MDB bootloader and since you already flashed the MK2 AP file you can get your phone running well again by flashing the MK2 modem: https://mega.co.nz/#!pwESna5I!YK7EKG37xXIG1ReB-Z-mfSMoXNkXQ9t2EdMK9ofgJKg

From there, there are still a number of options available to get to kitkat which I won't get into.

karim8888

May 8, 2014
If you don't care about losing your MDB unlocked bootloader you can get to the latest kitkat firmware by flashing the NB1 full odin tar from here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2674223, then once flashing is complete go to settings/more/about phone/software update then take the ota update to NC1 which is the latest kitkat version for our phone.

But what I would do is keep your unlocked MDB bootloader and since you already flashed the MK2 AP file you can get your phone running well again by flashing the MK2 modem: https://mega.co.nz/#!pwESna5I!YK7EKG37xXIG1ReB-Z-mfSMoXNkXQ9t2EdMK9ofgJKg

From there, there are still a number of options available to get to kitkat which I won't get into.

I will try this steps and let you know.thanks a lot.

Reactions: muniz_ri

micallen

Dec 13, 2010
Florence, SC

I told you not to drink and root.

buxtor

Apr 22, 2010
Quite a few steps in those threads but I got it working again. I really appreciate all the help/advice given. Now to decide if I want to remove the safestrap screen on boot. Again Thanks.

excited to give this a try. rooted with the downgrade method a couple months ago but left with a non-wifi device. my only issue is that the thread says it's for I337UCUFNC1 and our devices are on jss15j.i337ucuemk2. will this fix still work? I've heard on other threads on the subject that the modem kernel doesn't match up with the flashed rom or build number or something.

bux

vdavidm

Mar 14, 2012
Hi guys,

Do you already fix it??? cause i have the same problem

GalaxyMasterI337

Aug 19, 2014
Same question, different thread!

Not even an hour ago did I answer the same question in a different thread: How do I get WiFi working on my S4?

Well here you go.

My original answer: http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s4-att/...-4-4-2-nb1-t2850878/post54978150#post54978150

The problem is, in order to get WiFi working, you need to install the NB1 modules, but to do that, you need to install Safestrap. However, you can not install Safestrap because the app keeps closing on you. There is a simple fix to this, which I will explain later. For now, just read this WHOLE post BEFORE you do anything, and keep in mind that I am NOT held liable if you mess up your phone. Use this at your own risk.

1.) Root your phone

If you're already rooted with something like SuperSU or Superuser, skip this. If not, read ahead. Download and install the Towelroot APK file attached to this post, open it, and click 'make it ra1n'. If your phone didn't reboot, now you have root (they need to trademark that). Now, down below, I also included the APK for SuperSU. Download and install it. Now open it. When you open it, let it install the 'Normal' way, not via the 'TWRP/CWM' way. Also, when it asks you to disable KNOX, say yes, wait a couple of minutes (it will still be loading) and reboot your phone. Open up SuperSU again, click 'Yes' to disable KNOX again, and now you have a good base to start from.

2.) Install Safestrap AFTER fixing the error

The error your are getting is easily fixed. Go to the Play Store and install 'SELinux Mode Changer'. Open it, grant it root access, and change the mode to 'Permissive'. Now, open up Safestrap again (you mentioned you already installed it), and it shouldn't force close. Click 'Install', and if the 'Reboot to Recovery' option below is not grayed out after that then it worked.

3.) Download and install the NB1 modules

On your phone, download the included NB1 modules ZIP file I attached for you, and once that is done you need to reboot. After the Galaxy S4 logo, you'll see a screen that says 'SAFESTRAP: DISABLED' and there will be a little robot. TIP: To enter Safestrap, press the menu button (physical, hardware key) under 'Recovery' at that screen. To continue to Android, press the back key (again, physical) under the 'System' tab. For now, press the menu button under 'Recovery'. Now, click 'Install' which should be in red, click 'Add zips', and navigate to your Downloads folder. Now click on the NB1 modules ZIP you just downloaded. Swipe to install, and reboot. This time, hit the back key under 'System'.

All done!

Now, Android should (and will) boot up, and you'll have working WiFi! If, for some odd reason, you don't have WiFi- do NOT panic! Just search around for the MF3 modules and flash those! All is good, all is good. A lot of this guide was taken from my post about my personal method of SIM unlocking the AT&T Galaxy S4 without the dialer codes or an AT&T SIM. It was just modified a little to work for you.

Remember, hit thanks!

Those are my exact words. Also, the attached files (NB1 modules, SuperSU, Towelroot, etc.) can be found attached to my post in the link above. Have a good night, and best of luck! :good::D:good::D:good::D

Last edited:
Had the Wifi Not Working - Fixed

I just flashed I337MK2StockModem.tar.md5 and now it works!! I'm on the MK2 and rooted with saferoot and safestrap recovery 3.72

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thanks

Root, install safestrap then flash this ROM and you will be good to go: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=52167774&postcount=3

Quite a few steps in those threads but I got it working again. I really appreciate all the help/advice given. Now to decide if I want to remove the safestrap screen on boot. Again Thanks.
    Hi guys,

I will try this steps and let you know.thanks a lot.