USB Mass Storage mode?

Search This thread

NZtechfreak

Sep 5, 2008
My Note on the official ICS build actually has a mas storage mode, so this may be supported in the S3.

NZtechfreak

Sep 5, 2008
User manual has several errors though, so may not be gospel. That said I follow a current user of the S3 on Twitter and he says the option for mass memory is not present on his, but it isn't a retail release version.

Last edited:

lamensterms

Mar 15, 2009
Melbourne
Reactions: chowming

walda

Apr 2, 2010
There is no USB menu item in settings!

Transfering Data via SwiFTP now...

USB Mass Storage apk is not working without root

walda

Apr 2, 2010
You have MTP, PTP Mode in Notificationbar when plugged to USB.

You have "\\Phone\" with Internal+ExternalSD available, but not as a Driveletter.

Problem: Losing Timestamp when transfering files... i tried as ZIP but when extracting with AndroZip or TotalCommander, the Timestamp is not set to original. :mad:

Think Root+USB Mass Storage apk will help.

jana999

Mar 14, 2010
www.facebook.com
this seriously sux. why the hell would I want to set my phone to be on mtp/ptp mode with inferior file transfer speeds...
Thank goodness I bought myself the HTC One X and my Dad's the one stuck with the S3 =)

musafir84

Aug 16, 2011
vfriendz.com
Yes, it is correct that there is no built-in USB mass storage mode in the stock firmware.

I have been looking for a way to enable it too.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

Wadelo

Jun 20, 2009
Auckland
I reformatted my SD card to exFAT and then it was visible via USB, from windows explorer I see phone and SD Card

I'm not sure if it was because i reformated card or because it was exFAT format but its there and it now works!

aquariuzism

Oct 15, 2011
Auckland
Just plug into computer

If you're intention is just to copy/paste from computer, just plug in your S3 mate to your computer.

That's what i do. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After some time of usage and experimentation, I've come to the conclusion that the filesystem takes too much damage from being mounted in 2 different locations which might cause data loss, corruption and other issues on concurrent or cached writes (especially on the filesystem index).
    So I recommend unmounting the filesystem for the phone before using it externally.
    This brings the commands to:

One-Time preparation
    Code:
    setprop persist.sys.usb.config mass_storage,adb

To revert to MTP mode
    Code:
    setprop persist.sys.usb.config mtp,adb

Mount SDcard (Unmounting might fail when SDcard is in use, so don't just assume it works!) [works for international i9300 only]
    Code:
    umount /mnt/extSdCard
    echo /dev/block/vold/179:17 > /sys/devices/platform/s3c-usbgadget/gadget/lun0/file
    -or for all other versions, including the US-variant-
    Code:
    umount /mnt/extSdCard
    mount | grep /mnt/extSdCard | cut -f 1 -d " " > /sys/devices/platform/s3c-usbgadget/gadget/lun0/file

Unmount from computer (Warning: as usual 'eject' on computer first)
    Code:
    echo "" > /sys/devices/platform/s3c-usbgadget/gadget/lun0/file
    vold

This will make it no longer possible to use the contents on the external SD card when it is mounted on the computer, the rest of the phone (including 99% of your apps) will still work.

---- HERE ARE THE GSCRIPT SCRIPTS ----
    Make sure the 'Needs root' checkbox is ticked!
    Start-Script:
    Code:
    umount /mnt/extSdCard
    mount | grep /mnt/extSdCard | cut -f 1 -d " " > /sys/devices/platform/s3c-usbgadget/gadget/lun0/file

Stop-Script
    Code:
    echo "" > /sys/devices/platform/s3c-usbgadget/gadget/lun0/file
    vold

To use, please install 'GScript Lite' from the market.
    Open the app, press hardware Menu-button and select 'Add script'.
    Name the script 'Mass Storage' and type the contents of the above 'Start-Script'.
    Press Save and repeat with second Script above but name it 'MTP Mode'.
    Go back to your launcher and add a Shortcut. Choose 'GScript Lite' and select the 'Mass Storage' script.
    Repeat with the 'MTP Mode' script.

Connect your phone to the computer and press the 'Mass Storage' shortcut on your home screen. Enjoy =)
    When finished, eject the Disk from the computer (important!), then press the 'MTP Mode'.

-----BELOW IS ONLY KEPT FOR INTEGRITY's SAKE----

Working real solution
    Through some heavy googling and trial&error I've found out how to mount the external SDcard as a _REAL_ mass storage.
    Warning: requires root and might cause some issues. Stock kernel works

Here's what you'll have to run on the shell:
    Code:
    echo /dev/block/vold/179:17 > /sys/devices/platform/s3c-usbgadget/gadget/lun0/file

Within a few seconds the external(!) SD-card should now pop up on your computer as a mass-storage device. I've found no issues so far and doesn't require the SD-card to be unmounted in the phone since it's a LUN target.
    As usual this is not reboot-persistant so if you need it a lot use GScript lite to automate it.
    You can still access and move all your files when connected to a Pc.
    In MTP your S3 tells the computer "look, I'm a phone with 2 storage devices", allowing you to tether via USB and acces your data.

In Mass-Storage mode it tells your computer "look, I'm 2 Usb Sticks" which quito frankly is stupid.
    However mass storage is faster and works out-of-the-box with programs and hardware (like car radios) that are not designed for this usage scenario.
    (Note: on your computer you can easily create a virtual drive mapping to your phone's storage afaik, so no worries there)

The whole reason for not allowing mass storage is actually 2 issues:

- in MS the phone cannot use the sdcards while they're mounted on the computer, causing all sorts of issues with apps.

- MS requires the compute to recognize the filesystem. Pretty much the only filesystem all major Os can access is the 15-ish year old vfat which tends to corrupt easily, is slow and has several other major drawbacks.
    In MTP the phone's system converts the filesystem to a standarized open protocol, allowing it to e.g. use the brand-new highly sophisticated ext4 linux filesystem instead of some legacy stuff Microsoft invented years ago.
    I know this thread is for the international version, but I tried it on my T-Mobile version just to see if it would work.
    We should probably take this to a different forum (e.g., http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1731514) but the short answer is that the external card (at least for the AT&T version - probably T-Mobile as well) is at /dev/block/vold/179:97 instead of 179:17 and there doesn't seem to be an equivalent to the s3c-usbgadget folder (which is processor-specific).
    here the script.

Move back to MTP Mode

That's an app in the Play Store.

If you have ADB on the computer you may use it too, but I figure since you already ask about Terminal Emulator, that it's not the case.
    For your conveniance I've attached adb anyway as a zip file. Extract the contents to C:\Windows
    Open a Dos Promt (cmd) and type 'adb shell'