Editing the build.prop for faster data speeds

Search This thread

1ChesterD

Sep 8, 2011
the Old Folks Home
I'm in the Delano/Bakersfield area and the 14/7/3 gives me the best results. Getting around 3down 1.5 up. The default cm/and stock settings I was getting .5down and .2 up.

Live out near the old Mather AFB, and get around 6.1 down and 1.1 up from Unwired in the bay area. There are times were the up is slower, but the down is fairly consistent. settings are 12-28-6-3. radio is 14.04.28m. Rom is Redemption. And we do have the tower upgrade here. No LTE yet.

msellars2450

Apr 8, 2012
Lol funny to find another inspire user in Portland :) really? I get pretty bad speeds here. Like max 2 mbps. Is Portland getting a lot of tower upgrades? Cuz I thought we already had full hspa+

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA

gregsarg

Apr 8, 2011
B.F.E.
Hello all, this is just what I've found & have used for quite a while now & can say that this is the most benificial mod I've mad. These values work on my inspire & are SUPPOSE to work on all "4g" compatible phones. This brought my speeds from 2200ish to 5000+ in combination with the V6 supercharger scripts:

ro.ril.enable.dtm=1(surf while u talk). ro.ril.gprsclass=12
ro.ril.hsdpa.category=28
ro.ril.hsupa.category=6(I've seen 6 or 7)
ro.ril.hsxpa=3
(it is also recommended to reboot twice to for the settings to apply. Don't know the reason for this but it's said it needs to be done)

The "28" is suppose to enable AT&T's so called "4g" network. I'm not saying this WILL work for u but I haven't seen it fail yet so it's worth a try. Just make sure u have a backup before editing build prop, of course. I hope this helps someone else as much as it did me :')

P.S. I used these settinge for over a month on several different roms before sharing it without issue: Virtuous Unity, CM7 & MIUI
P.P.S. All AT&T devices will have these setting in build prop already so edit the existing values, don't add these to the build prop as well

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4g using xda premium

I've applied these settings in the Salt Lake City Utah area, and I must say I've seen a massive speed improvement in only a few days.

from a pathetic 1.8 to 2.0 up...:eek:... to a massive 4.8 to 5.1 consistently over the past 2 days..:D
I'm running Gene Pooles rooted 368 stock rom, and I'm very impressed with the latest radio for gingerbread, and these adjustments..
Many thanks too you, and the other members of this great community...g

Reactions: HTCinspiration

lateral18

Nov 10, 2009
nyc
Looking at the build.pro , in the first lines I came across this lines there are also the other ones
ro.ril.hsdpa.category=14
ro.ril.hsupa.category=6
ro.ril.hsxpa=3
Those dont change even after the other values are edited .

Do we need to changed these ones too ???

DeathmonkeyGTX

Oct 15, 2007
Little Rock, AR
Man this thread needs to be closed. IceColdSandwich apn for att works fine. I get 7.5 down, and att tends to cap upload around 1

Sent from my Desire HD using xda premium

insanenyc

Aug 12, 2006
If you can can you post a link to these apn settings u speak of I searched but could not find them thanks

Sent from my Inspire 4G using xda app-developers app

9m2bal

May 15, 2012
Johore Bahru
My setting now:

ro.ril.gprsclass=12
ro.ril.hsdpa.category=14
ro.ril.hsupa.category=7
ro.ril.hsxpa=3

Result :
2102880831.png
stable

Before: average 1.5up, 0.8down.

young440

Mar 26, 2012
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I haven't noticed any significant improvement with this mod. I'm sure its just snake oil. Maybe it works better in different places but around where I am, its pointless

Sent from my Inspire 4G using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've been reading about editing hsdpa and hsupa catagory numbers as well as the gprsclass number and seem to have improved my upload speed and possibly my download speed. In my basement, I usually see about 2200 kbps down and 1000 kbps up. Changing a couple numbers, I am now at a consistent 2500kbps and 1600kbps.

I'm running Android Revolution v3.0 with the 26.06.03.24_M2 radio.

ro.ril.gprsclass=12
    ro.ril.hsdpa.category=14
    ro.ril.hsupa.category=7
    ro.ril.hsxpa=3

I rebooted twice.

Could be purely coincidental, but I thought it may be worth sharing and discussing.
    All this is cut and pasted from other sites, it's not my own research.

ro.ril.gprsclass indicates the GPRS class of the target network :

Class 2 : 3 slots : 8 – 12 kbps upload / 16 – 24 kbps download
    Class 4 : 4 slots : 8 – 12 kbps upload / 24 – 36 kbps download
    Class 6 : 4 slots : 24 – 36 kbps upload / 24 – 36 kbps download
    Class 8 : 5 slots : 8 – 12 kbps upload / 32 – 40 kbps download
    Class 10 : 5 slots : 16 – 24 kbps upload / 32 – 48 kbps download
    Class 12 : 5 slots : 32 – 48 kbps upload / 32 – 48 kbps download

ro.ril.hsdpa and ro.ril.hsupa catagories are similar where each catagory is a target for a maximum data rate. It may seem that higher is better, but another thread on the G2 forum seemed to show that if you went too high, something triggered to lower the speeds back down to below factory levels.

http://androinica.com/2009/12/14/hack-for-rooted-phones-promises-faster-2g3g-speeds/

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=595108&highlight=amon Amon_RA has a lot of good insight as to what they mean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-Speed_Downlink_Packet_Access

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=838388
    Any steps for those who have never edited this before?

I used prop editor ( I can't remember where I found it, but it is an apk. I used it to make the changes after backing up my build.prop. I will upload here in a few minutes.

Be warned, you can wreck your software pretty good messing with this file. Just some forewarning.
    Well, I'm glad it wasn't just my imagination. Those settings I posted aren't necessarily the optimum setup for our phones, so a little experimentation may yield even better results.

Any steps for those who have never edited this before?

There are several ways to do it, prop editor being a great one. Here's what I did step by step for the new guys:

MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR ROM THROUGH CWM.

Download "root explorer" and possibly "mount /system (rw /ro)" from the app market.
    Open up root explorer and select the system folder
    Near the top of the screen there should be a "Mount R/W" button. Select it. If it won't let you change to R/W, go back and open up the "mount system" app. Select Mount r/w. Go back to root explorer and you should be able to now select Mount R/W in the system folder.
    Long press build.prop and scroll down to "Open in Text Editor".
    Make your desired changes, tap menu and then Save & Exit. It will automatically save your original build.prop as build.prop.bak and save your changes.
    Reboot twice (once didn't work for everyone in the threads I was reading).

As id10terrordfw said, you could potentially mess things up with your rom, so be careful. If you aren't confident in what you're doing, it's probably best to just leave it alone.
    Hello all, this is just what I've found & have used for quite a while now & can say that this is the most benificial mod I've mad. These values work on my inspire & are SUPPOSE to work on all "4g" compatible phones. This brought my speeds from 2200ish to 5000+ in combination with the V6 supercharger scripts:

ro.ril.enable.dtm=1(surf while u talk). ro.ril.gprsclass=12
    ro.ril.hsdpa.category=28
    ro.ril.hsupa.category=6(I've seen 6 or 7)
    ro.ril.hsxpa=3
    (it is also recommended to reboot twice to for the settings to apply. Don't know the reason for this but it's said it needs to be done)

The "28" is suppose to enable AT&T's so called "4g" network. I'm not saying this WILL work for u but I haven't seen it fail yet so it's worth a try. Just make sure u have a backup before editing build prop, of course. I hope this helps someone else as much as it did me :')

P.S. I used these settinge for over a month on several different roms before sharing it without issue: Virtuous Unity, CM7 & MIUI
    P.P.S. All AT&T devices will have these setting in build prop already so edit the existing values, don't add these to the build prop as well

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4g using xda premium