Thanks Meter: 171

By Sorensiim, Senior Member on 29th December 2010, 12:45 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
22nd January 2011, 02:14 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
I was pretty close to flat out panic and despair when I saw that "Battery low, Cannot program" message on my phone, so I'm glad posting this guide has helped all you guys! Sharing experiences and tricks is what forums are all about, remember this when YOU figure something out that saves your butt and/or phone
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sorensiim For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Sorensiim Ad-Free
23rd January 2011, 10:53 AM |#12  
Flag Hamburg
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Thumbs up
THX man
23rd January 2011, 08:49 PM |#13  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 4,636

Donate to Me
More
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=926012

Works for me.

Charge only the battery with USB-cable.

I think it`s saver because you can only kill your battery.
23rd January 2011, 10:04 PM |#14  

More
It works for me. Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to buzlightyear85 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift buzlightyear85 Ad-Free
23rd January 2011, 11:49 PM |#15  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
W00t!
Add me to the list of people who rescued their phone with this McGyver hack
27th January 2011, 07:47 PM |#16  

More
Big Thanks from Dave UK, great rescue tip !!

Goin to get a desktop charger and spare battery for just such emergency's.
27th January 2011, 08:13 PM |#17  
Flag Ponce, Puerto Rico
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I used this and omg it saved my life! I had to use two different usb cabels cause the first time i cut the tip of the one that goes to the pc and when i realized what i did i felt so dumb, but was nervouse of the whole thing. But the second usb cable i did the right cut and i even felt like recording it cause i was sooo happy, but then realized that i was jump starting the phone/ camera lol. Thanx for ur method. It was awesome.

Sent from my MB525 using XDA App
27th January 2011, 08:20 PM |#18  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey198209

I used this and omg it saved my life! I had to use two different usb cabels cause the first time i cut the tip of the one that goes to the pc and when i realized what i did i felt so dumb, but was nervouse of the whole thing. But the second usb cable i did the right cut and i even felt like recording it cause i was sooo happy, but then realized that i was jump starting the phone/ camera lol. Thanx for ur method. It was awesome.

Sent from my MB525 using XDA App

I felt the exact same thing "Woohoo it works, lemme just get my phone so I can shoot a picture of... oh wait..."

If you check the EXIF data on the image in the OP, you'll see that it was shot with an iPhone 4 I borrowed from a co-worker. He said something like "I know how you Android guys love tweaking, modding and hacking but thats taking it a little too far, don't you think?" (While pointing at my phone lying on my desk, stripped wires coming out of it and everything )
28th January 2011, 03:33 PM |#19  
Flag Sunnyvale
Thanks Meter: 69

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorensiim

Disclaimer: This worked for me, your mileage may vary. You might end up ruining your phone and even hurting yourself in the process. Do this on your own risk, I cannot be held responsible for whatever illness, fires, explosions or biblical plagues that may or may not befall you after following these steps. You have been warned.

Props to these guys for leading the way: http://modmymobile.com/forums/8-guid...t-program.html

Well this was scary... I installed the System Recovery app last night but after clicking "recovery boot" I just got the Motorola "M" logo and nothing else. Booting into recovery, I got the message "Battery low - Cannot program". Odd... there was about 80% charge left when I rebooted. Ah well, I let it sit in the charger overnight. This morning: "Battery low - Cannot program". Not good. After some googling I found out that I had two options:
1) Send it in for repair, claim that it just suddenly stopped booting. Cross my fingers they don't fix it and see it being rooted, running a custom rom with JIT, deodex, overclocking, undervolting and just about every single hack available for the Defy.

2) Go McGyver. This is what I did:

Get a USB cable, cut the off the B plug (the one that plugs into the device) and strip away the shielding, revealing the 4 individual wires inside: White, Green, Red and Black. Red is +5V DC and Black is ground. strip a few (1-2) mm's off each and gently push them into the + and - slots on the battery. Apply some tape to keep them in place, but don't cover the other connectors. Now plug the battery back in, a tight fit, but possible if you've peeled back the shielding and the white and green wires so that only Black and Red are actually being crammed in there with the battery.

Be VERY careful that the wires are ONLY touching their appropriate terminals. Otherwise you might fry your phone and/or make your battery explode. Red goes to the + terminal, Black goes to the - terminal

Plug the business end of the newly modded usb cable into your computer, thus allowing 5V DC to flow directly to your phone and battery. This is basically like jump leads for a car, but 5V and for a phone

Get the bootloader going (Volume up + power on) and you should now see a message along the lines of "ready to program, connect USB data cable". This is where you connect your phone to the micro USB cable you have lying around (Please tell me you didn't just kill that cable to make your USB jump leads) and connect the other end to your computer. Using RSD Lite, you should now be able to flash an SBF to the phone, and be on your merry way soon hereafter.

Hi, can u please help tofix this issue?? I have been trying this way, but no luck... would u plz refer to the following link for more clarity on issue occurence?
Many thanks in advance...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=932264
5th February 2011, 04:06 PM |#20  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Exclamation one question ;)
hey guys,

one serious question,
did you flash from the boot loader while the hack (+,-) were connected?

so one hacked usb cable to +,-
another to the micro usb connector and googogog flash?

or did you waited for some time? half an hour? an hour? waited for some charge and then reflasheD?

thanks guys, stuck at white led, black screen-dead phone
thanks ))))
5th February 2011, 04:10 PM |#21  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
I reflashed while it was still hooked up to the McGyver Plug
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
flash, hack, mcgyver, modding, program

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)