[Q] How to push file using TWRP adb sideload and Nexus 4 Toolkits

Search This thread

jilee

Aug 28, 2010
Hanoi
Hi everybody

Today I've just messed up my phone by deleting all TWRP backups as well as ROM zip files on my N4 (haven't found out why i did it, hell!)

Now after wipe my current rom, I've totally in the middle of "NoRom"

I have TWRP, and Nexus 4 Toolkits installed on my PC. I think all drivers are installed correctly as well, since I used them to unlock bootloader and root my N4 before.

But i just cannot figure out how to "ADB sideload" zip file to my device in order to flash a new rom.

So please guild me to do this. Many thanks

Note: I read on TWRP page and they say that I have to enable adb sideload in TWRP on my N4 (of which i've done), then "From the command line, type adb sideload /path/to/rom.zip". From that point I cannot understand. How and where could I open the command line?

(sounds noobie but since downloading that Toolkits, I've got rid of pure ADB things, so now I don't have the sdk)

Thank you.

Reactions: Kamy

Spiralzz

Aug 22, 2011
Boston
Lol, getting rid of ADB especially when you have a nexus was a bad idea. You need ADB, so you also need the SDK (although you *might* find only adb.exe and associated files here on XDA, which should be sufficient for this particular process, but I still recommend the SDK as it is quite handy).

Once you set up the SDK on your pc, go to the folder which has adb.exe, and open a command prompt there. That's the command line you need to use for adb sideload. From there, you can simply type adb sideload file_name.zip, which will place the file_name.zip on your sdcard.

Edit: Forgot to mention this. I never used toolkits and advise using the manual method which will teach you a lot and is more comfortable to use once you get the hang of it, believe me.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Reactions: TonyUkukk and jilee

jilee

Aug 28, 2010
Hanoi
Lol, getting rid of ADB especially when you have a nexus was a bad idea. You need ADB, so you also need the SDK (although you *might* find only adb.exe and associated files here on XDA, which should be sufficient for this particular process, but I still recommend the SDK as it is quite handy).

Once you set up the SDK on your pc, go to the folder which has adb.exe, and open a command prompt there. That's the command line you need to use for adb sideload. From there, you can simply type adb sideload file_name.zip, which will place the file_name.zip on your sdcard.

Edit: Forgot to mention this. I never used toolkits and advise using the manual method which will teach you a lot and is more comfortable to use once you get the hang of it, believe me.

OK thank you, i'll try it

Back to the past when i got G1, i was familiar with sdk and adb thing. But as time passing by, i'm getting lazier and lazier lol, so i've almost forgotten those useful stuffs, just use some 1-click tools like the toolkits. :D

ankitrimal

Jun 22, 2013
Kathmandu
Help

I tried sideload on my nexus 4 but it gives me this error...
"failed to write data 'protocol fault (no status)"
I have been trying to sideload cm 10.2 since my phone is stuck on the google boot logo...any ideas as to how to solve this problem?
Cheers beforehand!

aleem15

Mar 12, 2009
Help please. I've done the same thing as the OP. I do not know what to do next.

I am unable to mount the phone. I click on "Mount" from TWRP's main screen and nothing registers on my computer.
Under Advanced I am able to click on ADB Sideload but then the adb commands do not work to sideload a rom. I am able to use the command adb devices and that returns a response. I have also tried the adb push command to move the rom onto the phone with no response.

What should I do next?

Alex240188

May 4, 2010
Hull
Standard adb functions work on the main menu of twrp
Here is the easiest method.

On your pc go to your toolkit directory
Find the folder that has adb.exe in it
Copy your new Rom to this directory and rename it rom.zip (for simplicity)
Hold shift and right click on a blank bit of the folder
In the pop-up menu there should now be an option saying "open command prompt here" or something similar.
Boot your phone into twrp and plug it into your pc
On your pc's new command prompt screen type
adb push rom.zip /sdcard
Once it has completed you can install the rom as normal on your phone

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

aleem15

Mar 12, 2009

In the pop-up menu there should now be an option saying "open command prompt here" or something similar.
adb push rom.zip /sdcard

Thanks that worked.

Alimaq9

Oct 13, 2012
Edmonton

adb push rom.zip /sdcard

Hey bro it says device not found. what do i do?

---------- Post added at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

adb push rom.zip /sdcard

I have clockworkmod recovery v6.0.1.9 it didnt work for me it said device not found

---------- Post added at 10:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 PM ----------

adb push rom.zip /sdcard

Hey Thank i got it working, but one thing i cant understand is i got in a boot loop cause install cm10.1.3 RC2 coming from cm 10.2 nightly version, i also flased gapp 4.2.2 assuming the rom was 4.2.2 that why. is this correct? i wanna go to cm10.1.3 RC2 current on 10.2 nightly how can i do this? which gapps should i install?

Alex240188

May 4, 2010
Hull
Do you have adb drivers installed?
What happens when you type
adb devices
In the command prompt

You should get the serial number of your phone, then next to it it should say recovery

If you have nothing listed then you have an issue with the drivers on your computer

Reactions: TonyUkukk

mcgyver83

Jun 12, 2012
Hi,
I moved from slimbean build 8 (4.2.2) to Slimbean 5 (4.3)
After a couple of reboot the phone stucks an google screen, I tried to reflash the rom from twpr but nothing chaged.
If I try to sideload small files (like supersu) it works, with rom.zip files not..
I have "* failed to write data 'protocol fault (no status)' *" after some seconds.
If I try to use sideload from twpr home (2.6.0.0) adb doesn't work,
adb devices
List of devices attached
0076a0288a8c04be recovery

Orry520

Jul 27, 2013
Cwm

Is it possible to do the same with Cwm instead of twrp? If so, how? Also, i have both twrp and cwm according to rom manager. How?

gcappa

Oct 20, 2010
Toronto
Thanks your a life saver!

adb devices
In the command prompt

You should get the serial number of your phone, then next to it it should say recovery

If you have nothing listed then you have an issue with the drivers on your computer

dricxc

Oct 31, 2009
HElp

Hi guys,

I had the same problem while trying to install a new rom and i got into a bootloop stuff.

I tried what its say before on this thread but my phone can't be found. what can i do ?

Excuse my english i'm French.

Thx for your help if somebody can help me.

Jens_Karlsson

Jun 17, 2013
Kilsmo
i run adb push rom.zip /sdcard but it tells me: cannot stat 'rom.zip': No such file or directory
I know that my drivers are installed and i can see my device when i run adb devices. Thank you for any help i can get.:)

Mr.Kakarot

May 28, 2010
i run adb push rom.zip /sdcard but it tells me: cannot stat 'rom.zip': No such file or directory
I know that my drivers are installed and i can see my device when i run adb devices. Thank you for any help i can get.:)

being a noob at all of this, I am getting nowhere..... all I did so far was install android sdk. and put phone into sideload....

when I did adb push rom.zip /sdcard and it did some things?

then I do adb devices (in the cmd line of windows) and it gave me my serial number.... but what now?

I see nothing on the phone to load/install?

also: I type this: adb push rom.zip /sdcard

it says error closed.

Last edited:

Gokhalesh

Jun 29, 2010
Even i have been caught up with this same problem , and i found this thread which was pretty helpful
HTML:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2318497
that saved my day :D !!

davidwongwaisiang

May 19, 2014
I have the same problem

I have the same issues. When i type adb devices in command prompt, I get
List of devices attached

(there are nothing under it) what should i to ? Help me please :(

tavoh2395

Aug 13, 2014
help!!!!!

I get this but now what???

C:\adb> adb push rom.zip /sdcard
_

Nothing more and in my phones sd its the rom but failed when i tried to install it

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

adb push rom.zip /sdcard

Hi everybody

Today I've just messed up my phone by deleting all TWRP backups as well as ROM zip files on my N4 (haven't found out why i did it, hell!)

Now after wipe my current rom, I've totally in the middle of "NoRom"

I have TWRP, and Nexus 4 Toolkits installed on my PC. I think all drivers are installed correctly as well, since I used them to unlock bootloader and root my N4 before.

But i just cannot figure out how to "ADB sideload" zip file to my device in order to flash a new rom.

So please guild me to do this. Many thanks

Note: I read on TWRP page and they say that I have to enable adb sideload in TWRP on my N4 (of which i've done), then "From the command line, type adb sideload /path/to/rom.zip". From that point I cannot understand. How and where could I open the command line?

(sounds noobie but since downloading that Toolkits, I've got rid of pure ADB things, so now I don't have the sdk)

Thank you.
    close "adb.exe" in task manager
    adb devices
    In the command prompt