DROID RAZR HD Utility 1.20 [Windows/Mac/Linux]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

LifeAsADroid

Sep 17, 2012
Awesomeville, USA
Assuming I am BL unlocked, rooted and on 4.1.2 with CWM installed after using the utility, can I then just flash the latest CM 10.1 nightly?
Can I safely remove Safestrap now and just use CWM instead? Thanks.

Yes, I believe I read somewhere that once the bootloader is unlocked we can use CWM and that safestrap is obsolete. I have used CWM already and it worked perfectly to restore a backup I had.

Still trying to get my phone to download and install 4.1.2 though...

What are the benefits of 4.1.2 over 4.1.1 again?

v12xke

Dec 5, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 7
Goal was to get my brother's moto xt-926 running CM 10.1 like my other Nexi ( 2x GNex, 2x N4), including flashing, backups, etc. with CWM. We were running 4.1.1 and I had rooted with Matt's previous toolkit, utilizing Voodoo, and Safestrap 3. Today: I unlocked the bootloader first per Matt's advice. I then completely uninstalled SS3 via the app, and then uninstalled the app. Next I installed CWM using the Razr Recovery Flasher Tool, selecting Epinter's CWM port. Once I had S3 gone and CWM installed it was all downhill. I chose Epinter's CM 10.1 ROM,
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2087686 ...latest version (4/27) uploaded by dhacker29. Once I had a solid nandroid via CWM, I installed CM 10.1 and the appropriate Gapps for 4.2.2. Motorola makes good hardware, but Verizon really effs up a good experience by putting so many roadblocks up. From now on, it is as simple as backing up and then flashing the next greatest flavor of Android. Hope this post helps someone out there.

archcantor

Feb 3, 2012
Bristol CT USA

I just used this utility to install a fresh stock JB to my phone as a reference point and to save an image that I can do an OTA upgrade later if I want. Now I can debloat my custom image. I was coming from 4.1.1. Now that my boot loader is unlocked I don't have to worry about losing root. I could not do OTA on my 4.1.1 because I removed to much of the Verizon stuff that the OTA failed.

I was wondering if anyone has seen all the bad reviews (on Google searches) that Stock 4.1.2 is getting compared to the stability of 4.1.1. I was very happy with 4.1.1 and retained a nandroid backup in case I need to go back. So far I have not seen any problems with 4.1.2 since I flashed it. I habitually use Apex launcher.

My 926 is provided by my employer so now I have this nice standard Stock 4.1.2 I can flash in case I have to swap the phone because of problems or upgrade the phone in the future.

Thank you Matt and Dan R. for all your work.

Last edited:

archcantor

Feb 3, 2012
Bristol CT USA
after unlocking the bootloader is it safe to delete the motochopper app?

I thought motochopper was part of Matt's utility and not an app.

If you are asking if you need to keep Matt's Utility on your computer after unlocking the bootloader, that's up to you. Once the bootloader is unlocked it can not be locked again, ever, so you don't need to keep Matt's utility around for any future bootloader issues. According to Dan Rosenberg, the exploit to unlock the bootloader actually blows a fuse inside the Qualcomm Snapdragon CPU, so once unlocked, it's permanent. That means even Motorola or Verizon can not re-lock it without replacing the CPU.

I am keeping Matt's utility on my computer. You never know when you might want to reflash the stock 4.1.2 again or you may need to root a rom again. The utility makes it very convenient. You may want to help someone else unlock their bootloader.

strike3

Oct 22, 2010
After wanted to go back to stock having TWRP and an AOKP ..... I booted to bootloader and proceeded to do #1 from Matt's Utility.

all of the previous steps were successful however it has been stuck on Erasing Cache for a long time... 15 minutes.

should i worry?

wooddale

Nov 5, 2010
New Lisbon
After wanted to go back to stock having TWRP and an AOKP ..... I booted to bootloader and proceeded to do #1 from Matt's Utility.

all of the previous steps were successful however it has been stuck on Erasing Cache for a long time... 15 minutes.

should i worry?
I would think something is definetly wrong. If your unlocked you know you cant lock again.

strike3

Oct 22, 2010
I would think something is definetly wrong. If your unlocked you know you cant lock again.

i wasn't trying to lock again.

i was just trying to put matt's rooted stock back on there. do i have to put #2 stock recovery before i do #1

I did a complete Wipe in TWRP just now. waiting for further direction......

---------- Post added at 12:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 PM ----------

i wasn't trying to lock again.

i was just trying to put matt's rooted stock back on there. do i have to put #2 stock recovery before i do #1

I did a complete Wipe in TWRP just now. waiting for further direction......

Its ok now. #1 worked. I just had to do a full wipe in TWRP first.

So I have Matt's stock rooted 4.1.2 with TWRP. going to make a backup of this right now and save it to my Comp just in case my SD card ever gets ruined or full .

camcrobe

Feb 4, 2010
This is a fantastic utility. Thanks Matt. One little thing I noticed that might help some others trying to run the utility on a mac. Coming from a 4.2. ROM (AOKP unlocked boot loader, TWRP, etc.) back to 4.1.2 stock. When I ran the script in terminal, I was getting the error "fastboot.osx32 can't be found" and the flash failed. I checked the files and noticed that the name of the needed file is "fastboot.osx". Once the file name was changed to "fastboot.osx32", all went smooth. Also, for those who might be coming from another recovery, I couldn't get root until I flashed the stock recovery, once I had root using the utility then flashed back to TWRP. Now running rooted stock with TWRP (glad to have my camcorder back and better battery life).

Almighty2

Oct 11, 2012
Quick question, when using option 2 which flashes the official 4.1.2 Stock Recovery, does this flash system, kernel and radio or only the system and kernel?

Almighty2

Oct 11, 2012
It is ONLY stock recovery. Just like CWM and TWRP are just recoveries. No system, kernel etc.

After thinking, I finally remembered recovery is not part of the system at all.

In any case, what's the best way to get from rooted 4.1.1 to 4.1.2 and have the same results as the OTA update to 4.1.2 since I thought that includes system, kernel, radio. Can I do option #1 without wiping data like the older versions of the utility where one can just exit without wiping data? Thanks!

Last edited:

Memnoch73

Mar 4, 2011
In that case, what's the best way to get from rooted 4.1.1 to 4.1.2 and have the same results as the OTA update to 4.1.2 since I thought that includes system, kernel, radio. Can I do option #1 without wiping data like the older versions of the utility where one can just exit without wiping data? Thanks!

You have to do option 1 and wipe data, then re-root and re-install CWM or TWRP. Use Titanium Backup to save all your apps and app data.

Almighty2

Oct 11, 2012
You have to do option 1 and wipe data, then re-root and re-install CWM or TWRP. Use Titanium Backup to save all your apps and app data.

So there is no way to avoid wiping data? Is the alternative without wiping data to basically use the older version of the utility after using voodoo and then just OTA to the newest OTA and then voodoo to restore root and then using the current version of the utility to install CWM after unlocking the bootloader? I would use Titanium Backup except I notice a few apps are not showing up in TB at all for some reason.

Memnoch73

Mar 4, 2011
So there is no way to avoid wiping data? Is the alternative without wiping data to basically use the older version of the utility after using voodoo and then just OTA to the newest OTA and then voodoo to restore root and then using the current version of the utility to install CWM after unlocking the bootloader? I would use Titanium Backup except I notice a few apps are not showing up in TB at all for some reason.

Man that sounds like way too much work.. Are you sure the apps are not in TiBu? I have never found that to be the case. Sometimes they are named slightly different and in a different spot on the list.

You're bootloader is unlocked right?? If so it will never be re-locked no matter what you do. If unlocked I guess you can do it your long way but no need to save root just use the new Utility to re-root once you get back up to 4.1.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts