Galaxy Tab 8.9 Root

Search This thread

merlinsrealm

Oct 3, 2011
I get this message when attempting to install the update:

E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip
(Status 6)

Hello everyone. I am new to the site. I just purchase the Galaxy Tab 8.9

I ran the root.zip file as described and I also received the error that Skrilla got.

I am at a loss on what to do at this point. I tried 4 times and received the same error.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Eric

schillaj

Feb 20, 2011
error

ok, i got it to boot into recovery now, but im getting the same error listed above and i do have the correct file. so close............. any help very appreciated.

burhanistan

Apr 14, 2011
Not to discourage hacking your device, but this thing just came out. If you don't really know what you're doing it might be best to wait a few weeks for more dev eyeballs to be on the 8.9 before you go futzing around with it.

phonic

May 30, 2008
Florida
When I got home I immediately went to try and root my GT8.9. I tried the "Samsung_Galaxy_Tab_10.1_root.zip" file, and it worked perfectly. Tested it, and it was rooted.

I also did some more research and found out that someone figured out how to get Netflix working on the 8.9! I'm attaching the necessary patch.zip file which replaces the libnvomx.so file that Netflix uses. If you want Netflix, put it in the /sdcard directory (just like this root patch), and install it using the same recovery method mentioned earlier. Reboot, and voila, Netflix streaming works.

Attachments

• TF101-Netflix_patch.zip
    262.6 KB · Views: 253

VouSDru

Sep 28, 2011
When I got home I immediately went to try and root my GT8.9. I tried the "Samsung_Galaxy_Tab_10.1_root.zip" file, and it worked perfectly. Tested it, and it was rooted.

I also did some more research and found out that someone figured out how to get Netflix working on the 8.9! I'm attaching the necessary patch.zip file which replaces the libnvomx.so file that Netflix uses. If you want Netflix, put it in the /sdcard directory (just like this root patch), and install it using the same recovery method mentioned earlier. Reboot, and voila, Netflix streaming works.

So it is positive that root file for 10.1 applicable for 8.9" 3G?

I have 10.1 and rooted .. and I want to root my friend's tab who just bought 8.9" 3G version

phonic

May 30, 2008
Florida
Is it your 8.9" wifi only or 3G ?

I assume there shouldn't be any different regarding rooting file right between wifi tab and 3G tab ?

Just dont wanna mess up my friends tab :p

Mine was wifi only, but it shouldn't matter. I highly doubt anything in this patch is capable of bricking the device, or causing any real issue. All it does is simply remounts /system as read/write, install the "su" binary into the /system partition, chmod it suid executable, remount it read-only, and in one version of the patch, install the SuperUser APK (which is not necessary since you can download the newer version from the market).

Absolute worst case scenario, it installs an invalid binary of 'su' (ie: incompatible), and when you try to run it, it fails to start. I guess it could crash it and cause a reboot, but that's highly unlikely. And you could always remove it anyway.

Since the 10.1 binary works on the 8.9, I would say the odds of it working on all 8.9 models is 99.999%. So no, you have nothing to worry about it.

Reactions: VouSDru

jy06

Jun 3, 2007
Mine was wifi only, but it shouldn't matter. I highly doubt anything in this patch is capable of bricking the device, or causing any real issue. All it does is simply remounts /system as read/write, install the "su" binary into the /system partition, chmod it suid executable, remount it read-only, and in one version of the patch, install the SuperUser APK (which is not necessary since you can download the newer version from the market).

Absolute worst case scenario, it installs an invalid binary of 'su' (ie: incompatible), and when you try to run it, it fails to start. I guess it could crash it and cause a reboot, but that's highly unlikely. And you could always remove it anyway.

Since the 10.1 binary works on the 8.9, I would say the odds of it working on all 8.9 models is 99.999%. So no, you have nothing to worry about it.

Not sure that's wifi or 3G doesn't matter. I've read that for the 10.1 model it isn't the same file for root the 3G model...
Maybe the file for root the 10.1 3G works on 8.9 3G model

phonic

May 30, 2008
Florida
Not sure that's wifi or 3G doesn't matter. I've read that for the 10.1 model it isn't the same file for root the 3G model...
Maybe the file for root the 10.1 3G works on 8.9 3G model

There are multiple 'rooting' methods for the 10.1. With this method, we aren't talking about ROMs, images, device drivers, etc. We're talking about a simply application. Again, worst case scenario, it doesn't execute and you can delete it. But my money is on it working without a problem.

feanorkael

Jul 11, 2010
I'm pretty shure before the root, the volume buttons would alternate their function when holding the tab vertically or horizontally. But now that I rooted the tab, the "left" button is always diminishing the volume, even while holding the tab in portrait mode. Did this happen to anybody else?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please find bellow an easy way to root the new Galaxy Tab 8.9:

1. Download and install the USB drivers from here:
    http://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/GT-P7310MAAXAR

2. Transfer the attached file root.zip to the galaxy tab 8.9, this can be done in different way as follow:
    * If you send an email to an actual email account on your galaxy tab with the attached file, just open the email on your galaxy tab 8.9 and saved the attached file under the SDCARD
    * Using Samsung Kies tranfer the attached file to the Galaxy tab 8.9 under SDCARD
    * Or the last way to do it using ADB as follow: adb push root.zip /sdcard/root.zip

3. Turn off the Galaxy Tab 8.9

4. Turn on holding Volume Down button (right side one) + power button for 15 sec, until two icons show up on the scree

5. Release buttons and press once Volume Down button (right side one) to select "Recovery Mode" is the little box icon

6. Now Select "Recovery Mode" pressing once Volume Up button (left side one)

7. Wait until "Recovery Mode" screen show up

8. Use Vol down or Vol up to select apply .zip from sdcard and press power button to select the option

9. Look for the file root.zip under the SDCARD and select it with power button

10. Apply root.zip

11. and then Reboot

12. Install SuperUSer from the market and DONE!
    HI ALL...I HAVE ROOTED MY TAB 8.9 7310, INSTALLED CMW RECOVERY, ALL WITH NO PROBLEMS. BUT WHEN I HAVE INSTALLED SUPERUSER, ROOT CHECKER ALSO. ITS SAYS I DONT HAVE ROOT ACCESS. EHHH

ALSO NOW WHEN MY TAB GOES INTO STAND BY AND I SWITCH IT BK ON, THE SCREEN LOOKS LIKE AN UNTUNED TV...

ANY IDEAS GUYS...THNX:crying:

This Method is to old!

Flash this package in CWM Recovery: http://www.mediafire.com/?214m9bv3oyjwl8h

+1

I root it today...and a few hours later I just saw there are 2 dead pixel on the screen.. already called the service center and they told me to bring it back to them..

How can I unroot the tab..please?

Can help to create unroot.zip file. Each root and unroot when required.

I don't think any of you understand what the 'rooting' process is here. This isn't some massive jailbreak like you have to do on an iCrap. Nor is it some lowlevel hack in the OS/firmware. All the 'root' script does is create a suid exec "su" program on the filesystem. It mounts the system filesystem as writeable, copies the file from the zip onto it, and remounts it non-writable. The reason for the extra step in booting into recovery mode is because, without the su command, you can't normally remount the system partition, nor write to it, nor give a program suid exec permissions (aka - giving it the ability to run as superuser or root).

That's it.

However, once the device is 'rooted', you can do all of those steps manually anyway because you now have root.

So if you want to unroot your tablet, you simply need to remove the 'su' binary. There are various ways to accomplish this, but one of the easier methods would be to download/install a terminal program, launch it, and issue the following commands:

su
    mount -o remount,rw /system
    rm /system/bin/su
    umount -o remount,ro /system
    exit

And voila, you have now unrooted your tablet. No need for a special zip package. If you have a file manager program that can utilize root access (not sure if there is one off the top of my head), you could use that to remove the file as well (assuming it can also remount /system with write access).

If you want to re-root it, simply do the same method as the OP again.
    Fixed and Updated Root.zip

Yep, same issue here. :(

I am having trouble rooting my device.

I have the 8.9 wi-fi version.

I've transferred the root file as indicated..but when I get into Android System Recovery, as described below, the device doesn't seem to find the root file.

I get an error message E: unknown volume for path...

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
    For the solution click here.

Also, see attachment for an updated Root.zip by me with the latest su binary as of this post. Our tablets tend to obey the su binary from /system/xbin, but the script at OP says /system/bin, not xbin. This should fix compatibility issues regarding updating the binary.
    recovery mode

i cant get my 8.9 to boot into recovery, ive pressed voume down and power for 20 plus seconds and it doesnt do anything at all, still blank. please help!