[Q] Is it normal for LTE to intermittently switch between LTE and 4G?

Search This thread

toews

Feb 3, 2013
I've frequently been noticing my GS5 to have a really strong LTE connection (~90Mbps) and minutes later without moving at all I'm suddenly on 4G (HSPA+?). Is anyone else experiencing this or should I get my unit exchanged?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

aooga

Feb 19, 2011
California
I've frequently been noticing my GS5 to have a really strong LTE connection (~90Mbps) and minutes later without moving at all I'm suddenly on 4G (HSPA+?). Is anyone else experiencing this or should I get my unit exchanged?

I'm going to be totally useless but I'm jealous of your 90mbps connection. This is in Canada right?

toews

Feb 3, 2013
Have you tried re-flashing the modem in ODIN? It's probably not going to work, but before returning it, it's worth a try.

The thing is that I'm not rooted and running pure stock 4.4.2 since day one so I don't see why my modem would not be fine.

toews

Feb 3, 2013
Yeah just get a replacement if you can then. I'm in the US, but it doesn't do that for me.

One theory I have about it is that my SIM card has been put in and out of many phones and perhaps the contacts are a little weak at this point. Do you know if that would affect my signal?

aooga

Feb 19, 2011
California
One theory I have about it is that my SIM card has been put in and out of many phones and perhaps the contacts are a little weak at this point. Do you know if that would affect my signal?

No, it has nothing to do with signal. The phone can get signal even without a sim card. All the sim card does is register you on the network. If the sim card was bad, it would most likely kick you off the network completely.

One last thing: Have you edited the APN settings at all? Are you sure they are the default supplied by your carrier?

toews

Feb 3, 2013
No, it has nothing to do with signal. The phone can get signal even without a sim card. All the sim card does is register you on the network. If the sim card was bad, it would most likely kick you off the network completely.

One last thing: Have you edited the APN settings at all? Are you sure they are the default supplied by your carrier?

Nope, haven't edited them.

homer285

Jun 4, 2006
toews the question does not make sense, lte and 4g are one and the same, do you mean 3g?

luigi311

Feb 18, 2011
toews the question does not make sense, lte and 4g are one and the same, do you mean 3g?

There are different version of 4g HSPA+ is known as 4G but it is different from 4G LTE. Have u tried editing the band priorities maybe their competing against each other.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

homer285

Jun 4, 2006
There are different version of 4g HSPA+ is known as 4G but it is different from 4G LTE. Have u tried editing the band priorities maybe their competing against each other.

Which carrier is doing that? how confusing.
Wiki:
HSPA+, or Evolved High-Speed Packet Access, is a technical standard for wireless, broadband telecommunication. HSPA+ enhances the widely used WCDMA (UMTS) based 3G networks with higher speeds for the end user that are comparable to the newer LTE networks. HSPA+ was first defined in the technical standard 3GPP release 7 and expanded further in later releases.
In the United States, it is commonly available under AT&T Mobility and T-Mobile US.

aooga

Feb 19, 2011
California
Wiki:
HSPA+, or Evolved High-Speed Packet Access, is a technical standard for wireless, broadband telecommunication. HSPA+ enhances the widely used WCDMA (UMTS) based 3G networks with higher speeds for the end user that are comparable to the newer LTE networks. HSPA+ was first defined in the technical standard 3GPP release 7 and expanded further in later releases.
In the United States, it is commonly available under AT&T Mobility and T-Mobile US.

Every carrier in north America.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

luigi311

Feb 18, 2011
Wiki:

Lol pretty much every carrier that has HSPA+ markets it as 4g because of speed

homer285

Jun 4, 2006
Lol pretty much every carrier that has HSPA+ markets it as 4g because of speed

And just to clear things up for me, you will see 4g and lte icons in the taskbar and switch between the two respectively? Oh and I see no mention of 4G relating to HSPA+ but lte yes, so I still am unclear what the OP has asked.
Edit: nevermind it doesnt matter, very confusion lol. Sorry toews didnt mean to hijack your thread dude.

Last edited:

Flashvetrin

R.I.P.
Feb 18, 2012
Spanaway
You can google your apn settings from google.
Example.
Att apn settings.
And you can go into settings more networks and create a new apn. Just make sure you enter it exaxctly as it reads.
Xda folks have alot if threads on different apns for achieving higher speeds. You create the new apn hit menu and then save toggle the new apn and reboot.. alot of times if your seeing fluctuation it can be due to a node on one if the local towers in your area.
But as stated it wouldnt hurt to upgrade your modem. Of course this does involve root and custom recovery such a twrp.. hope this helps.?

Sent from my MARCUS! using Tapatalk