[Module] X8Overclock | v004 - Multiple freq | X8 | X10 mini | X10 mini pro | 11-04-11

Search This thread

DAXGr

Sep 8, 2010
I assume the same as pc oc'ed cpus, reboots and overheating.

Sent from my X10mini using XDA App

doixanh

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 23, 2011
I get a 3758 CPU score at 748MHz. It seems 748MHz is the max freq for our MSM7227 hardware.

/edit : and even 3767 CPU score. :D

Attachments

• 748mhz-3758cpu.png
    748mhz-3758cpu.png
    21.9 KB · Views: 728

viper001

Dec 20, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
YES, YES and YES! It's running at 684MHz! Will upload a screenshot soon!

This below screenshot is taken at 710MHz with only CPU test

It seems that our CPU is not stable above 748MHz.

Excellent Job D! even a modest 50 to 100 Mhz speed boost will be great.:D

Not to put a damper on things though, but, what will be the effect of this on the timing dependent modules. I mean, does the divisor affect only the CPU clock or does it also affect the entire system's clockrate.

BTW, where can i donate?

sanefirst

Dec 29, 2010
Warsaw
I think higher freqs can still be possible, but not without increasing the voltage.

LG Swift users are able to run this CPU @ 900MHz.

Boshe

Dec 16, 2010
As I know,overclocking cpu,will raise the phone temperature also. This is ok?

DAXGr

Sep 8, 2010
Not unless you also increase the voltage to maintain stability.

DAXGr

Sep 8, 2010
Is it x8 specific? Or it can be used on mini/pro also?

Blagus

Jun 10, 2010
x10 has undervolted kernel, ask zdzihu how he did it.

Sent from my X8 using XDA App

doixanh

Jan 23, 2011
Latest changes pushed to git. I will upload the module and update OP.

darrie1

Jan 30, 2011
this should work on the mini (pro), because they are almost the same, right?? or not

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Rom cookers: if you include this module in your ROM, please make a link to this post in your release post, so your users can know how to work with it and update the module themselves

Intro: (dev post)
    Since the X10 kernel is working, we might have a hope that someday we will have our custom kernels. If we can have custom kernels, we can do the overclocking easily.

Until that day, we will still have to overclock with modules. To make overclocking works with our current kernel, as far as I can see, we need to do the following things:
    1. Patch cpufreq data to change maximum reported freq (these value will be read by Android for further controls). cpufreq will then call the low-level acpuclock functions to change real cpu freq.
    2. Patch acpuclock data + code to change real cpu freq.

Right now I'm working a proof-of-concept module, with finished 1 and half of 2. I will need to patch acpuclock code in the running kernel to make the frequency applicable.

That means, right now, Android reported that I have a 800MHz MSM7227, although it's running at 600MHz, and cpufreq's governor accepts to change to the maximum 800MHz (it's 600MHz for real). We will need to patch acpuclock code to change PLL and apply the correct divisor.

Source on github : https://github.com/doixanh/X8Features

Release history
    • April 11. v004. Default to 691MHz. Multiple frequencies are available for SetCPU: from 614MHz to 826MHz. You can now change frequencies with SetCPU - much like with custom kernels! You can even SetCPU freq at boot.
    • April 07. v003. Compatible with SetCPU. Easier for code maintenance.
    • April 06. v002 for mini pro. x8oc module for x10 mini pro released! Be warned: I didn't have your x10mini pro hardware so I didn't test it throughoutly.
    • April 06. v002 for mini. x8oc module for x10 mini released! Be warned: I didn't have your x10mini hardware so I didn't test it throughoutly. 710MHz was reported not too stable. A lower freq is more stable.
    • April 06. v002. Experimental! It maybe very unstable! Undervoltage for all frequencies except the max freq (Reduced voltages for 128MHz, 245MHz, 320MHz, 480MHz). This can potentially save battery. I need test results for saving battery from you guys :D
    • April 05. v001. Default to 710MHz.

Requirements:
    - Rooted
    - Baseband x15
    - xRecovery (for automatic installtation)
    - Dare!

Installation:
    a. Manual installation : it will be better if you can do this way.
    - Download appropriate x8oc-vXXX.zip (for X8), or x8oc-vXXX-x10m.zip (for X10 mini), or x8oc-vXXX-x10mp.zip (for x10 mini pro) below, unzip
    - Remount /system as rw
    - Push x8oc.ko in to /system/lib/modules
    - Edit /system/etc/hw_config.sh, add one line at the beginning
    Code:
    insmod /system/lib/modules/x8oc.ko # x8 overclock
    For people who want to set specific freq at boot, write the following instead of the code above:
    Code:
    # x8 overclock
    insmod /system/lib/modules/x8oc.ko 
    sleep 2
    echo xAB > /proc/x8oc
    Where AB is your desired code for that frequency. Test the frequency carefully before applying it at boot!
    (you can edit hw_config.sh by pulling it to your PC, edit, and push it back)
    - Reboot your phone

b. Automatic installation : much like x8gesture, I will have to prepare update.zip for each ROM. I'm pretty busy now, so be patient.

General instruction
    - When you install x8oc, SetCPU will not recognized the new max frequency. Don't touch the slide and/or change the governor. If you do that, the new frequency will be lost. You will have to reboot your phone to get the new freq.
    - For geeks only: it is possible to change maximum frequency after you install x8oc. With following command, you can replace AB to other values to change max freq:
    Code:
    echo xAB > /proc/x8oc
    20 to change to 614MHz
    21 to change to 634MHz
    22 to change to 653MHz
    23 to change to 672MHz
    24 to change to 691MHz
    25 to change to 710MHz
    26 to change to 730MHz
    27 to change to 749MHz

For example, set to 749MHz:
    Code:
    echo x27 > /proc/x8oc
    This feature still works with v004

Somebody asked about the meaning of AB above. If you look at the source you will understand :D
    In short :
    - AB is stored in hexadecimal
    - Max frequency = AB (in decimal) * 19.2MHz
    Example:
    AB = 27 means AB = 0x27 = 39 (in decimal)
    Real frequency = 39*19.2 = 748.8 MHz
    You can put 28, 29, for even higher frequency... but I don't recommend to do that. It was unstable for me.

x10 mini / x10 mini pro users:
    Support for x10 mini / x10 mini pro has been added since 06-04-11. However, I don't have your hardware so you must test this module before install it:
    - Push x8oc.ko to /system/lib/modules
    - Run the following command
    Code:
    insmod /system/lib/modules/x8oc.ko
    If the phone is still working, no crash, no black screen, then it works.
    Until you're sure that it works with your hardware, don't install it to hw_config.sh or you will get boot loops and may severely damage your hardware

Disclaimer
    This module is dangerous! It may cause severe damage to your hardware. I'm not responsible if this module kills your lovely phone. Use it at your own risk!

Donations are welcome :D

PLEASE DON'T SPAM IN THIS THREAD WITH UNCONTRIBUTED POSTS.
    YES, YES and YES! It's running at 684MHz! Will upload a screenshot soon!

This below screenshot is taken at 710MHz with only CPU test

It seems that our CPU is not stable above 748MHz.
    I was too lazy to build a separated module for OCing :D Everything is a mess inside my current x8gesture module :D

I'll try to do something more and then separate OC into a new module.
    I get a 3758 CPU score at 748MHz. It seems 748MHz is the max freq for our MSM7227 hardware.

/edit : and even 3767 CPU score. :D
    Holy sh*t. They included bunches of controllers inside this MSM 7227
    Max. 800MHz Qualcomm MSM7227 Turbo, Embedded 320MHz DSP (GSM, GPRS/EGPRS Multislot Class 12, EDGE, UMTS Release 6, 7.2 Mbps HSDPA, HSUPA 5.76 Mbps, MBMS baseband), 400MHz modem processor, Adreno 200, OpenGL ES 2.0, OpenGL ES 1.1, OpenVG 1.1, EGL 1.3, Direct3D Mobile, SVGT 1.2, DirectDraw,