End of custom roms.......

Search This thread

stevendeb25

May 27, 2010
england
pnht.org
Glad this post was useful for something :) so sick of users ruining things for other people. I had to rant about it. I know not much will be done about it. Hopefully XDA may read it once in a while and eventually bring some action forward. glad to have @fredrich420 back echoes is the best :) @DSA would be nice to see blackbox again :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

DSA

May 15, 2011
Glad this post was useful for something :) so sick of users ruining things for other people. I had to rant about it. I know not much will be done about it. Hopefully XDA may read it once in a while and eventually bring some action forward. glad to have @fredrich420 back echoes is the best :) @DSA would be nice to see blackbox again :)

I'm contemplating reopening the thread...can't decide if its worth the hassle though!

You can still get my latest ROM from my website for now :D

tuckersmission

Oct 16, 2011
You are so so right about that!!
Thats why i would never want to sell anything here..
Can you imagine what they would do to me??? :p

I mean i get abuse from offering free stuff for so many devices... can you imagine making money for it? People would think im their slave... :eek:
er, excuse me. Why are you in this thread and not creating another masterpiece for your beloved users? Get back to work. We own you. [emoji12]

---------- Post added at 08:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 PM ----------

I'm contemplating reopening the thread...can't decide if its worth the hassle though!

Yo Dude, dont let the *uckers get you down. I know it can be hard. But guys like you and @Friedrich make xda what it is. It's a sad day when you are driven away from what you love because of ignorant people.

Reactions: friedrich420

spamtrash

Nov 9, 2008
Krasnoyarsk

Well, let's be honest... if you'd reopen, you should realize that most of users are kiddos who got the precious toy as the gift for being graduated from nursery. and then... well.. I am not a dev, I am an user only, however.... let me to use an example.
A His Majesty Master of the Universe, The Only and Unique Owner of His Pampers, proudly chewing his dummy nipple, got idea:
Aha, XDA servants shall immediately find the place, from where he could download and use the knox-safe root for his I9500. He:
1. was unable to use search button to find that such feature does not exists yet;
2. was very abused when I pointed him to that fact...
well, the best way would be using citation of his post, when I reminded him that there are some rules, for example use the search before posting:
BEGIN OF CITATION: "Go **** yourself with all the rules. Xda is a free forum and people with all this negativity should be banned. Why don't you just say NO? **** you and your sarcasm. I am very stressed here because I want to root my device. " END OF CITATION

so, I just love your ROM (just installed on my two I9300's), but to be honest... if you want to reopen, be prepared, and buy some booz, because without it is unlikely if you'd survive... you know, I am deeply and honestly missing the times, when kiddos were given a bike for first communion (and by the term: kiddo, I DO NOT mean the age).:good:

DSA

May 15, 2011
Well, let's be honest... if you'd reopen, you should realize that most of users are kiddos who got the precious toy as the gift for being graduated from nursery. and then... well.. I am not a dev, I am an user only, however.... let me to use an example.
A His Majesty Master of the Universe, The Only and Unique Owner of His Pampers, proudly chewing his dummy nipple, got idea:
Aha, XDA servants shall immediately find the place, from where he could download and use the knox-safe root for his I9500. He:
1. was unable to use search button to find that such feature does not exists yet;
well, the best way would be using citation of his post, when I reminded him that there are some rules, for example use the search before posting:
BEGIN OF CITATION: "Go **** yourself with all the rules. Xda is a free forum and people with all this negativity should be banned. Why don't you just say NO? **** you and your sarcasm. I am very stressed here because I want to root my device. " END OF CITATION

so, I just love your ROM (just installed on my two I9300's), but to be honest... if you want to reopen, be prepared, and buy some booz, because without it is unlikely if you'd survive... you know, I am deeply and honestly missing the times, when kiddos were given a bike for first communion (and by the term: kiddo, I DO NOT mean the age).:good:

Thats my post of the day :highfive:

Edit
Just had someone come on to my website and tell me my ROM 'needs work'....cheeky ****

Last edited:
Reactions: stevendeb25

HANDSY

Apr 7, 2012
I too have noticed the shocking way in which devs are being treated and spoken to. From DSA's thread to recent Echo rom it's happening way too often. May I suggest that development threads opened by a developer are controlled fully by the OP. For example the Dev thread could be invitation only, users selected by the dev can only post, devs have the power to ban problematic users from posting. As DSA did a general thread for the same rom would be open and free for all to ask repetitive, pointless questions without polluting the dev thread. Just my suggestion.

Edit: When installing new software on pc you normally have to tick a box to say say that you have read all the Terms and conditions before proceeding with the installation. Could something similar be implemented regarding the reading of OP/FAQ /known bugs, issues etc. Once read and box ticked the user would then have access to the thread in full.
Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

ice.modding

Feb 12, 2012
Tucumán
linuxforallsite.wordpress.com
Sorry my english but...
the end user is not interested (in most cases) in the time it takes to make a custom rom, or the people who were active in the project, or this or that thing. Mind that works well, it will last 10 million battery time: P, and is smooth, stable and endless etc ... WE SHOULD become conscious and know that all this delay, hours, days, weeks, test and error. Anyway ... I do not think it's the end of the custom roms, but if it shows little patience there then create a rom.

* this thread is the best! : P

the Doctor

Retired Senior Moderator
Dec 15, 2011
In the TARDIS

The mods are on your side but simply cannot read every post by every childish noob/troll. Rather than responding to trolls who won't follow XDA guidelines by reading the OP & thread or using the search feature, just report their posts. In my experience, the mods are more than happy to delete non dev-related posts and will even contact and warn errant members if warranted. They just need to know who's causing the trouble, which is what the reporting feature is for. ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sorry guys.... As another dev shuts up shop due to users/noobs that don't read opening posts or explain the bugs they having.

Custom roms will soon be a thing of the pass.

I for one knows how much time/effort goes into making a rom. It's no easy task. The amount of flashing/bricking to bring roms to us.

All the roms on xda are free but if this continues then devs may start charging for their roms (maybe not on xda but who knows) Wouldn't blame them really though.

All users need to understand if we don't have devs on Android. Then basically we will end up like iPhone users that are locked down. We should be grateful for all devs that brings us root without it then no custom roms would exist.

Do the Android community wanna end up like iPhone? I doubt it very much.

Respect the devs
    Read the first post, search the thread! All answers are there. This excuse "I searched but couldn't find anything" is BS basically.
    We will lose them all eventually.

Rant over.

Agree

I was hoping to find a thread like this and I totally agree with you.

But maybe that is not the end cause I think that the devs will still love what they do just that they try not to address certain people.

As great as the idea of XDA is and as much as I'm happy that this awesome forum exists..I think that it should be talked/discussed about the forum rules!!!

Example:

How can it be possible that you become senior member with 100 posts?
    This leads to flaming in some cases and is no way near related on how helpful you are

The process in being allowed to post
    While some are annoyed that they can't discuss right after logging the first time....for others it is way to simple to join and flame.

Rules enforcement
    We all know that some posts we make are not related to the devices...and I think that this shouldn't be seen as an issue in general...XDA to me is also a communication page as long as the dev doesn't have a problem with it... BUT being disrespectful to the work you receive for free and claiming bugs where there are reported to be none and most important refusing to read should be looked after more often.

At last I really don't want to criticize XDA or what it stands for cause I still love it... I just hope it stays what it was created for and won't loose the devs which are doing so many awesome things for us because some people just can't follow the rules and be thankful for what they get
    Its not as simple as that

If I create a development thread and include all relevant info in the first post, which is then populated with nothing but questions that are answered in the first post it makes it incredibly hard to find any proper posts which could contribute to the rom or for me to help a genuine user having issues

I created a specific q&a thread for these types of posts and everyone ignored it and filled up my dev thread instead

XDA has a chronic problem with users atm, I can't explain it or understand it, but I'm seeing more and more devs close their threads because of the users populating it

Have a read of the gravitybox thread in the xposed section...its unbelievable..

ETA: just had a read of the echorom thread...check @friedrich420 last posts in there..I feel for him as I know exactly how he feels

I thank you from the bottom of my heart!! I know if anyone can understand is you my man!! I create a basic custom rom at best (and kernels lately). You create the most awesome rom i have ever used!! Way way over my head!! And you get the same treatment?? Its really not worth it!! People (im not generalizing because there are some EXCEPTIONAL USERS who deserve recognition) dont get (or dont want to get) what it takes to create a masterpiece like yours for example...

Thank you and my wish is that we will see you back!!

But one thing is for sure, something has to change...
    It seems that people value something only if they have to pay for it... Im not say this should happen here but something that protects us (the creators/ providers of roms. kernels, recoveries, mods, apps etc etc) for the **** we get should be put in place... Some kind of mechanism that protects spamming and protects flaming... Something with more success than the current measures we have in place now...

Also THANK YOU TO EVERYONE FOR YOUR SUPPORT and opening this thread is a good thing!!
    It needs to stay up and we need to make it into a "brainstorming pool" of ways to make sure devs who do this for free (therefore they do it because they love sharing) are protected...
    Post of the month!

ETA:

As much as I agree, this is flogging a dead horse

Until you can change the impatient 'fix it now, I refuse to read the first post post anyway, that bits not important' mentality of the average user, nothing will change