[ROM]Epic Unleashed 2.5! Blur-Be-Gone spray for all those bugs!

Search This thread

scsione889

Aug 27, 2010
Chicago-ish
Something is big and wrong here. My google account is gone, and when you go to add an account, there is no google. Essentially I cannot use this. :( Seems some things got fixed, and some things got broken. Sadly, big things got broken.

So...is it just messing with your e-mail or does it render Android Market unusable?

I use Exchange so the whole gmail email thing doesn't bother me much lol.

facelessuser

Jan 31, 2009
@matt4542 don't let all these bugs get you down. You learn by making mistakes. That should always be assumed when flashing custom roms. That's why I always nandroid.

Don't get discouraged. I think your doing great, not everything works out the first time. I'll be watching when the next release drops.:)

walcs

Sep 4, 2010
@matt4542 don't let all these bugs get you down. You learn by making mistakes. That should always be assumed when flashing custom roms. That's why I always nandroid.

Don't get discouraged. I think your doing great, not everything works out the first time. I'll be watching when the next release drops.:)

Agreed, i really like the speed of the ROM and the theme, but just minor bugs that are keeping me from flashing this ROM, once you come out with 3.0 I will try again and give feed back

draya1986

Aug 2, 2010

Just updated from 2.0 to 2.5. No problems here so far, 2.5 looking great.
All my google apps work and the extra apps that come with the ROM, I just get rid of with rom manager. Not a big deal. Keep it up Matt!

scsione889

Aug 27, 2010
Chicago-ish
Exchange functions correctly. However, Android Market and Gmail app crash on opening. Gmail is no longer listed in accounts either. Browser confirmed working (as well as Flash). Otherwise, INCREDIBLY fast. Take care of that Gmail/Market issue and I'll be a happy camper (at least as far as the major stuff goes). :D Thanks for the hard work Matt!

edit: calendar app doesn't work. widgets wont allow resizing.

Last edited:

DBISGOD

Jun 8, 2010
Dallas
Exchange functions correctly. However, Android Market and Gmail app crash on opening. Gmail is no longer listed in accounts either. Browser confirmed working (as well as Flash). Otherwise, INCREDIBLY fast. Take care of that Gmail/Market issue and I'll be a happy camper (at least as far as the major stuff goes). :D Thanks for the hard work Matt!

All you need to do is get the google account to sync, try running the setup ap.

darkonion

Aug 27, 2010
Fremont, CA
My Google Talk doesn't work. No contacts. Browser doesn't work. A few other things. Had to flash back to 1.1, but I love the interface. Can't wait until 2.6 comes out.

haincha

Aug 28, 2010
Vermillion, SD
I have been a fan of yours since 1.0 (So like last week). I will be upgrading as soon as I can figure out how to make Google backup my phone numbers. I am sick of losing my contacts from every flash. (Not blaming you)

Keep up the amazing work!

draya1986

Aug 2, 2010

Are you talking about launcherpro plus? No problems here resizing my widgets.

tgwaste

Apr 21, 2006
www.twg.org
you all are doing something wrong. this rom is working great for me so far. the only bug ive found is the onscreen keyboard does not vibrate when the keys are pressed even though ive set it do so. other than that, great job!

zzabbas

Apr 11, 2009
Westbury
First of all GREAT ROM!!! Thanks for fixing the Notification Menu and love the new Battery Indicator.

I have replaced my G1 running CyanogenMod with this Droid2, and this rom has seems to be just as stable.

A couple minor issues I would like to point out:
  • Super User App, is once again repeatedly asking for permission.
  • App Drawer shows 2 Gallery Applications. Seems like they are /system/app/Gallery3D.apk and /system/app/Gallery3DGoogle.apk.
  • Calender Widget can not be added to home screen. It finishes as if it was added but nothing appears.

Update:
  • I was able to fix the Super User App issue, by going to Super User App -> Settings -> su binary vnull.
  • Also to address the 2nd issue, I have just renamed Gallery3D.apk to Gallery3d.apk.orig
  • I have been unable to get the calender widget working though.

Last edited:

scsione889

Aug 27, 2010
Chicago-ish

I erased my data and then my calendar app stopped crashing. I didn't know widgets aren't supposed to resize now (thanks for getting back to me Matt :D ), but I'm still having issues with Gmail and Market. Market app still crashes on startup, and I still can't get a Gmail account added (even adding it manually with Gmail's pop3 settings). I'll try restoring/reinstalling the rom later to see if something got quirky with the install.

scsione889

Aug 27, 2010
Chicago-ish
I'll try restoring/reinstalling the rom later to see if something got quirky with the install.

Just did the SBF flash, deleted all data, re-rooted, installed the rom, deleted all data again. After going through all the setup after deleting the data again everything works. Gmail and Android Market work (the "Google" option under accounts is even there now). Hope this helps somebody. It's worth the effort. Thanks again everybody!

walcs

Sep 4, 2010
Well, looks like the tranquility rom is messing with this one I guess, that's too bad because I really want to try this one out

facelessuser

Jan 31, 2009
Just did the SBF flash, deleted all data, re-rooted, installed the rom, deleted all data again. After going through all the setup after deleting the data again everything works. Gmail and Android Market work (the "Google" option under accounts is even there now). Hope this helps somebody. It's worth the effort. Thanks again everybody!

That is good news, but it does sound like something is going wrong in the flash process if it requires all that work to get it going. A complete wipe back to stock, reroot, and then flash shouldn't be necessary, but it seems like that is one of the only sure fire answers I think we have right now. If this is the only sure fire way, the flash instructions should advise everyone to do this. Even some people who already had 2.0 epic have had troubles going to 2.5.

I still think there has to be a cleaner way to get consistent results without SBF, wipe, reroot and flash. This isn't even touching the kernel, just the system and Data folder. After looking at the guts of the update zip file, I am not convinced yet that the way the phone is getting updated in the best way. Currently it is copying bloatware to the system directory; people just aren't seeing them in the app drawer for some peculiar reason. I think I still need more info on the process he is using before I try to flash again.

Keep in mind, I am not complaining, just trying to understand why there is a low success rate, and minimize the hoops I have to jump through before I commit myself to this ROM.

If we can understand why there is a low success rate, we can also come up with definitive prerequisites to installing the ROM, and methods of installing the ROM which yield a high success rate the first time, which will also cause mat4542 less headaches.

draya1986

Aug 2, 2010
That is good news, but it does sound like something is going wrong in the flash process if it requires all that work to get it going. A complete wipe back to stock, reroot, and then flash shouldn't be necessary, but it seems like that is one of the only sure fire answers I think we have right now. If this is the only sure fire way, the flash instructions should advise everyone to do this. Even some people who already had 2.0 epic have had troubles going to 2.5.

I still think there has to be a cleaner way to get consistent results without SBF, wipe, reroot and flash. This isn't even touching the kernel, just the system and Data folder. After looking at the guts of the update zip file, I am not convinced yet that the way the phone is getting updated in the best way. Currently it is copying bloatware to the system directory; people just aren't seeing them in the app drawer for some peculiar reason. I think I still need more info on the process he is using before I try to flash again.

Keep in mind, I am not complaining, just trying to understand why there is a low success rate, and minimize the hoops I have to jump through before I commit myself to this ROM.

If we can understand why there is a low success rate, we can also come up with definitive prerequisites to installing the ROM, and methods of installing the ROM which yield a high success rate the first time, which will also cause mat4542 less headaches.

What I did was make a backup after I rooted, deodexed, and installed the bootstrapper. Then if I want to switch from tranquility to epic, I restore that backup I made and i'm able to switch ROMs without any issues.
I didn't have to do that this time since I was just updating from 2.0 to 2.5.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

facelessuser

Jan 31, 2009
What I did was make a backup after I rooted, deodexed, and installed the bootstrapper. Then if I want to switch from tranquility to epic, I restore that backup I made and i'm able to switch ROMs without any issues.
I didn't have to do that this time since I was just updating from 2.0 to 2.5.

The backup after root and deodexed is a good idea. What guide did you follow for deodexing? And did you run into any issues?

I am still a not confident in the current update-script in 2.5, but I think it would be a good idea to have my ROM backed up rooted and deodexed as stock. Still waiting for a response via email form Matt4542 on exactly what is supposed to be happening in the update process.

walcs

Sep 4, 2010
The backup after root and deodexed is a good idea. What guide did you follow for deodexing? And did you run into any issues?

I am still a not confident in the current update-script in 2.5, but I think it would be a good idea to have my ROM backed up rooted and deodexed as stock. Still waiting for a response via email form Matt4542 on exactly what is supposed to be happening in the update process.

I think any deodex guide would work, but it will just take some time