Old Q&A-Thread - This Thread will be split into multiple KB-Thread soon

342 posts
Thanks Meter: 377

By pakidermo5000, Senior Member on 24th February 2014, 10:38 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
12th March 2014, 04:17 AM |#101  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Webdude, do you mind me asking which year/make/model and stereo version you are dealing with? I'd consider one of these units but I'm not too savvy and a ground loop hum would drive me nuts.
12th March 2014, 06:24 AM |#102  
Thanks Meter: 52

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnp614

Webdude, do you mind me asking which year/make/model and stereo version you are dealing with? I'd consider one of these units but I'm not too savvy and a ground loop hum would drive me nuts.

I have a 2007 Audi A4 unit with Factory Bose system. Depending on your make and model you may or may not get the ground loop hum. I was actually able to trace my down to the way the CanBus works, and the factory ground wire not being large enough to support the RCA outputs of the radio causing the hum. I could have ran another ground wire, problem was with the way german cars are put together, it was easier to buy the $15 part and install solving the problem all together.
12th March 2014, 03:21 PM |#103  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Hey guys, love the idea of this unit, and bow down to the pioneering work of members on this thread to get ROOT working.

I have an Alfa 147 GTA (2004, non Bose), which has non-standard wiring, though is CANBUS based with steering wheel controls.
I have found the following Connects2 cables for my car, which are supposed to allow it to interface 'plug and play' to Chinese Head units:
http://www.nexxia.co.uk/product.asp?...ode=CTSAR003.2
http://www.nexxia.co.uk/product.asp?...=CTCHINAHULEAD

Was wondering if anyone knows whether all Chinese head units use the same 'standard' for wiring which ought to work with the above leads?
Also, should I be looking only at the 'universal' models, or other models ok? (assuming the fascia works with my car)

Any pointers would be genuinely appreciated.

cheers, thecharliec
12th March 2014, 03:43 PM |#104  
Flag Swansea
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecharliec

Hey guys, love the idea of this unit, and bow down to the pioneering work of members on this thread to get ROOT working.

I have an Alfa 147 GTA (2004, non Bose), which has non-standard wiring, though is CANBUS based with steering wheel controls.
I have found the following Connects2 cables for my car, which are supposed to allow it to interface 'plug and play' to Chinese Head units:

Was wondering if anyone knows whether all Chinese head units use the same 'standard' for wiring which ought to work with the above leads?
Also, should I be looking only at the 'universal' models, or other models ok? (assuming the fascia works with my car)

cheers, thecharliec

I think it's just a case of buy that adapter and see if it works.
There is a wiring diagram on top of the unit. Using that with your vehicle audio wiring diagram, it should be easy enough to connect it.

If you're unsure, it may be easier to take it to a car audio shop for install.
12th March 2014, 03:44 PM |#105  

More
Quote:

cheers, thecharliec

Its my understanding that CAN BUS just sends the communication signals down the power line. There is a setting in the "Factory Settings" menu that allows you to select CAN BUS type, but I honestly do not remember if Alpha Romeo was one of them, I will look when I step out for lunch.

I will be posting info on Root here in just a few minutes. I still have not gotten CWM Recovery to flash, but I have some ideas now that we have root. The problem is, my car is going into the Body Shop to have some door dings, and minor scratches fixed this evening, so I wont be able to play again till this weekend....
12th March 2014, 05:03 PM |#106  

More
Ok, I have created a wiki page real quick and put Rooting instructions on it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki..._Android_Radio

I have attempted to vet the rooting program. And while there is some scripting in the program to download an ad program, if you follow my instructions, it does not appear to run or be installed. I have also scanned my unit with Lookout, AVG Antivirus and ESET Mobile, without finding any problems afterwards.

I can not be held responsible if you screw up or brick your radio, but the 1.3.6 version of the software worked for me.

I also have gotten a comprehensive list from Keylo of all the models, screen size, and US Retail Pricing, that I just added to the Wiki. This should be used for quick reference only, as I have been known to make typos. Please verify model number before you order. I am also inquiring on the pricing of the 1024 * 800 screen size. Those of you that have this radio or similar, know that some apps are a pain to use, because they were not coded to work on a 800 * 480 screen.

I am still looking at maybe adding the product line to a new business we are starting, but no decision has been made yet. Really waiting to see if we can get at least an unlocked bootloader option from Huifei.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to webdude12 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift webdude12 Ad-Free
12th March 2014, 09:29 PM |#107  
Flag Swansea

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdude12

You can enter factory recovery by pressing the reset button and the power button down at the same time for about 10 seconds. It takes a couple of times to do it, but it does work. Working on getting CWM Recovery installed, from there, we can root from it.

You can easily enter recovery by the following process:

1 Press reset button and power button together
2 After about 5 secs release reset button, but keep pressing power button
3 When booting screen appears release power button.
4 It boots into recovery.

Works every time.
The Following User Says Thank You to blankers For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift blankers Ad-Free
12th March 2014, 10:47 PM |#108  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankers

You can easily enter recovery by the following process:

1 Press reset button and power button together
2 After about 5 secs release reset button, but keep pressing power button
3 When booting screen appears release power button.
4 It boots into recovery.

Works every time.

Nice find. I was just playing when I found it, tried to find the exact sequence, but moved on.

That and currently I do not have a recovery.. I had a flash half fail, Luckily, that doesnt mean Im toast yet, as long as I dont screw up the rom, I can still use the radio, and with enough work around, I will be able to correctly fash the recovery. Still hoping, Keylo can get us an unlocked bootloader.
12th March 2014, 11:29 PM |#109  
Flag Swansea

More
Quote:

I had a flash half fail, .

What do you mean by this ? Are you talking bootloader or system image ?
12th March 2014, 11:35 PM |#110  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankers

I think it's just a case of buy that adapter and see if it works.
There is a wiring diagram on top of the unit. Using that with your vehicle audio wiring diagram, it should be easy enough to connect it.
If you're unsure, it may be easier to take it to a car audio shop for install.

Quote:

Its my understanding that CAN BUS just sends the communication signals down the power line. There is a setting in the "Factory Settings" menu that allows you to select CAN BUS type, but I honestly do not remember if Alpha Romeo was one of them, I will look when I step out for lunch.....

Thanks blankers, webdude. Don't mind buying the cables, it's more I'm confused about which model of the HU to go for. Assuming the aim is to try and get the SW controls working...Are the different models essentially the same except for fascia, supplied adapter cables, and default CAN BUS settings? ...

Looking on webdude's wiki, I notice the universal models don't list CAN BUS... I know I've read somewhere you can make the HU 'learn' the signals though not sure if that's possible with this unit.

@webdude, appreciate you taking a look, keen to know if Alfa Romeo are 'officially' supported....Any chance you could post a pic of the wiring diagram on the unit .. would help greatly in my quest
12th March 2014, 11:43 PM |#111  
Flag Swansea

More
Quote:

.Are the different models essentially the same except for fascia, supplied adapter cables, and default CAN BUS settings?

i would suggest you send keylo an email.She can talk direct to the engineers making these units and hopefully get you the best head unit for your vehicle.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android 4.2.2, android 4.4.4, autoradio, car dvd, rk3066

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)