Old Q&A-Thread - This Thread will be split into multiple KB-Thread soon

342 posts
Thanks Meter: 377

By pakidermo5000, Senior Member on 24th February 2014, 10:38 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
13th May 2014, 12:02 PM |#501  
Thanks Meter: 60

More
Boot time around 18 secs with apps loaded.

Got down to about 13 but had issues with crashes. so had to pull back core.jar optimisation

http://youtu.be/iC9zvAA6_y0
13th May 2014, 12:33 PM |#502  
Thanks Meter: 1,520

Donate to Me
More
Has anyone tried using the radio apk from the AN21-U ? This seems better and might very well work on this unit too.
13th May 2014, 02:05 PM |#503  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
You guys are making some awesome headway! Keep up the good work. I am going to have to flash the optimized kernel when its available! I think I can dedicate some web space and file storage to our efforts here. Please PM me and we'll work out a place to store this stuff on my web server.

So I decided to take a week and thoroughly test the unit before posting more on the thread. Here is my assessment of the unit.

Installation:
Installation is a little tricky, but was largely plug and play. On my late model Jetta, I had to switch the default 12v hot and 12v accy pins, as well as wire the illum pin but otherwise it was plug and play with the stock wiring harness. The 2 din standard is the larger of the 2 standards out there, and the metra installation kit had to be modified with a dremmel by a few centimeters to fit onto the mounting hardware.

Operations:
The unit looks great in the dash. The screen is easily visible in direct sun light and is easily readable. A lot of fuss has been made over the screen resolution, but honestly after using the unit for a week, I think a higher screen resolution would be more of a detriment than a benefit. The screen is easily read at a glance and the sizing of the text on the screen is perfect for reading on the go.

The GPS works flawlessly. It picks up a signal nearly instantly and is very accurate. The built in GPS app work well even though the interface is a little strange. Turn by turn directions are accurate and it highlights the proper lanes you need to be in if your on the highway. Side loading Waze was easy and it works on the unit very well. I find myself using both apps, as waze has great traffic avoidance, while igo is better for trip planning.

Bluetooth is a disappointment for me, but not because of the unit. As I have come to find out, my "premium" HTC One (which is the most amazing phone I have ever owned) has crap for bluetooth and has many known issues with interoperability.

Sound quality is really good compared to the stock HU. Loudness brings life to the music and voice, and now I understand why people want the ability to have it on all the time. I have stock sound, so no amps or subs, and as such I have not played around with the amplifier app much.

App support is pretty good. Most apps load through the play store, while others that say they are not supported on the device will side load with no problems. Dropbox is the only app I have found that cuts the screen off in a way that makes it unusable. I attribute this more to poor app design than the units screen resolution. Box and google drive works perfectly fine on the unit.

Wifi is pretty decent even though the antenna is nothing more than a wire inside the chassis. I have no problem grabbing a signal from my house when parked on the street. Anything broadcasting from inside the car (hotspot) gets full signal on the unit.

Canbus integration works well on this unit. A lot of fuss has been made about canbus on VW cars. Ill give you a little insight here if you aren't aware. VW uses canbus to communicate on/off and key sense to the HU in the vehicle. That means that most stereo's wont work with the accessory switch circuit, because there technically isnt an accessory circuit. canbus signals tell the head unit when to wake up and go to sleep (shutdown). Once I got the pins wired right, the canbus integration worked perfectly out of the box. I can turn the car off but leave in the key and the unit stays online until the key is removed from the ignition (key sense).

Boot time is annoying. Overall system performance is great, but the boot time is annoying. 28 - 30 seconds is a long time when you jump in your car and go like I do, but its not a huge deal to me. Room for improvement for sure, but a minor annoyance in the grand scheme of things.

System performance is great. No lag, screen flows nicely, touch is nice and responsive.

USB will charge mobile devices, though seems to introduce interference to the radio when connected to the rear ports for a long period of time. This can be due to an improper ground in the car, or an improper ground on the motherboard for the usb bus or fm antenna. I haven't isolated it yet but its not always a problem.

Overall the unit is amazing. Some room for improvement, but overall its a great experience out of the box.
13th May 2014, 02:28 PM |#504  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexgen10

Canbus integration works well on this unit. A lot of fuss has been made about canbus on VW cars. Ill give you a little insight here if you aren't aware. VW uses canbus to communicate on/off and key sense to the HU in the vehicle. That means that most stereo's wont work with the accessory switch circuit, because there technically isnt an accessory circuit. canbus signals tell the head unit when to wake up and go to sleep (shutdown). Once I got the pins wired right, the canbus integration worked perfectly out of the box. I can turn the car off but leave in the key and the unit stays online until the key is removed from the ignition (key sense).

can you share the modifications you did to the wiring? I have an Audi unit that turns off when I turn off the car. It does not care whether the key is still in. VW and Audi share almost everything, so there are probabilities that your modifications would work on my car too.
13th May 2014, 02:29 PM |#505  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-2-Hak

Boot time around 18 secs with apps loaded.

Got down to about 13 but had issues with crashes. so had to pull back core.jar optimisation

http://youtu.be/iC9zvAA6_y0

Wow, I think that´s already a great improvement ! Keep on going!
13th May 2014, 02:33 PM |#506  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pakidermo5000

can you share the modifications you did to the wiring? I have an Audi unit that turns off when I turn off the car. It does not care whether the key is still in. VW and Audi share almost everything, so there are probabilities that your modifications would work on my car too.

On the units wiring harness, I had to cut and cross the red and yellow wires. So yellow on the harness side goes to red on the unit side and red on the harness side goes to yellow on the unit side. Illumination needs pinned to the grey blue wire on the cars oem harness.
The Following User Says Thank You to nexgen10 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift nexgen10 Ad-Free
13th May 2014, 04:49 PM |#507  
Thanks Meter: 116

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod-Beeblebrox

See here:

https://developer.bluetooth.org/Tech...Pages/HSP.aspx
https://developer.bluetooth.org/Tech...Pages/HFP.aspx

Android devices typically do not support HSP or HFP from the client side (they do from the host side of course). Even on all of the head units I've seen, the bluetooth module is not truly visible to Android. The MCU passes along limited info and allows limited control through a native app.

You may want to take a look at this post:

He's making quite a bit of progress in examining how the MCU communicates with Android.

Ah, bluetooth.org why didn't I think of that
A look at the MCU explained wiki would help figure out some of the challenges you're facing "building your own" (BTW could you expand on that? tablet on the dash or actual head unit?) a possible way to go would be with a microprocessor of sort, either arduino or such or a IOIO to handle what android itself can't... Lots of work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexgen10

App support is pretty good. Most apps load through the play store, while others that say they are not supported on the device will side load with no problems. Dropbox is the only app I have found that cuts the screen off in a way that makes it unusable. I attribute this more to poor app design than the units screen resolution. Box and google drive works perfectly fine on the unit.

Have you tried Market Helper (not the one on playstore), I found with the AN-21 U it unlocked most apps for me...
Also, for the Dropbox problem, try installing xposed and the app settings module, it allows you to change settings on a per app basis... play with the DPI setting for dropbox, it should solve the issue. While you're at it, the Play store fixes module might help too (I have it installed but haven't even tried it yet as market helper has done the trick for me)
13th May 2014, 10:21 PM |#508  
Thanks Meter: 60

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by typos1

Has anyone tried using the radio apk from the AN21-U ? This seems better and might very well work on this unit too.

Doesnt work. Different MCU
13th May 2014, 10:22 PM |#509  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Can anyone test if this app works?
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2421357
13th May 2014, 11:00 PM |#510  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Hello there !

Could anybody post screens of their User Interface with any launcher?

I'm pretty looking forward to buy this unit but his Menus give me cancer (Specially Music and Radio app)

How is the the glare with direct sun reflection?

Thx

Cheers
14th May 2014, 01:07 AM |#511  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by J0sh_FG

Hello there !

Could anybody post screens of their User Interface with any launcher?

I'm pretty looking forward to buy this unit but his Menus give me cancer (Specially Music and Radio app)

How is the the glare with direct sun reflection?

Thx

Cheers

I use the default launcher, which is good for me. In direct sun the screen is easy to read. If glare would be a problem, just get an anti-glare screen protector and call it a day. The screen does not get washed out by the sun.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android 4.2.2, android 4.4.4, autoradio, car dvd, rk3066

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)